Charlottechicken

Who has the heating on? Autumn 2012

I have been looking at the M&S fleece nighties though... does anyone have recommendations for other firms who make goood warm nighties :)

Pyjamas are so much warmer - they haven't got the 'ride-up' factor.

There are lots of places that do gorgeous brushed cotton ones,which are wonderfully warm. La Senza ones are good,as are primark (but buy a size up,as they do shrink a bit)

OH and myself both grew up in houses that didn't have central heating, so ever since we have had our woodburner in the lounge we have been very reluctant to us ours much to our children's great disgust. ED has a fan heater in her room because even with the heating on hers is very cold but she isn't encouraged to use it, she also has Raynaulds (sp) so we feel that we shouldn't let her get too cold.. I will be interested to see how warm her student room is, it just has one small old convector heater on the wall, although it does get the morning sun.

I have been looking at the M&S fleece nighties though... does anyone have recommendations for other firms who make goood warm nighties :)

Primark. I have three of their fleece nighties, one has a front pouch pocket too! They are great with fluffy bedsocks :lol: I am a generous size 12 and have the size 10-12 ones and find them plenty big enough. I did have a M&S fleece nightie but found it was just too warm. I was waking in the night and having to change into something lighter, the fleece was just too thick and heavy for me.

Cinnamon, I think you should get that onesie ordered before she changes her mind!

Primark. I have three of their fleece nighties, one has a front pouch pocket too! They are great with fluffy bedsocks :lol: I am a generous size 12 and have the size 10-12 ones and find them plenty big enough.

Will need to have a look there. Lot more cost effective than Marks too :lol: Thanks for the suggestion :D

I have got into the habit of clicking the heating on as I go upstairs with the boys for their half hour of CBeebies before bath time so it just warms the house through then turn it off again on the way downstairs to clear up and make ES lunch for the following day!

Will be getting the brushed cotton jimjams out at the weekend tho have already resorted to thick wooly bedsocks! Have decided that I need a fleece dressing gown so will, with my frugal hat on, look at Matalan and Asda Living next time I pass - ES needs a new one too!

Wet, damp and miserablefor the last few days (the weather, not me!) but three fantastic rainbows over the last week so there has been an upside! :lol:

Still not got the heating on here but I am wearing top and jumper all the time. The children keep complaining about the cold. I just tell them about when I was young on frosty mornings the windows had lovely frozen 'ferns' on the inside :lol: I have been looking at the M&S fleece nighties though... does anyone have recommendations for other firms who make goood warm nighties :)

Not sure about their warm nighties as I don't wear them, but last year they did some beautiful silk thermal vests and they were very pretty and also very warm and light :D

Not sure about their warm nighties as I don't wear them, but last year they did some beautiful silk thermal vests and they were very pretty and also very warm and light :D

Hmm maybe I do need a thermal vest. I think I must be turning into my mother who always wore a vest :lol: I remember her in her 80's having a 'competition' with her older sister as to who had the most undergarments on :roll::lol: I used to take her to visit her sister in a home and they would chat about such things (also who was most ill!). The children used to say they were like furbies talking to each other, as each had to only say a couple of words/sounds to speak volumes :lol: So sad they are no longer with us :( Sorry gone a bit off topic there....still not got the heating on :!:

The children used to say they were like furbies talking to each other, as each had to only say a couple of words/sounds to speak volumes :lol: So sad they are no longer with us :( Sorry gone a bit off topic there....still not got the heating on :!:

Awww :angel::angel: Not got the heating on here either but am sitting on the sofa with my fleece blanket wrapped around me :lol:

Socks on in bed last night.

I'm another fan of vests too - I look askance at the fairies in the office when they complain that they are cold... January and they'll be tripping around in chiffon, bare legs and high heels. Us stalwart lasses wear vests and more layers.

Clarissa Dixon made me laugh when she said that a pure wool jumper or jacket was the warmest out in the field as once it got wet it was wonderfully insulating. Not sure I'll go that far though.

I've taken to wearing base layers under all my clothes as it gets colder - you know the sort of thing you'd wear for a yomp up a mountain or other outdoor exercise. Although they are man made (you can get merino wool ones but I'm less keen) the better quality ones wick sweat away from the body and even the cheap ones (eg £10 in Lidl) are a lovely tight fit, but made with stretchy lycra or whatever so I don't know I'm wearing it. They wash well too. Because they are so body-hugging I find the warm air gets trapped and I am much warmer. They are also longer/more body hugging than most of my tops so that annoying gap at the back just around the tops of my trousers doesn't occur.

I love the story about the old ladies on the sofa, especially the furby bit :lol: Today I am wearing base layer, long sleeved cotton top, short sleeved T shirt, jumper, gilet :D

I've taken to wearing base layers under all my clothes as it gets colder - you know the sort of thing you'd wear for a yomp up a mountain or other outdoor exercise. Although they are man made (you can get merino wool ones but I'm less keen) the better quality ones wick sweat away from the body and even the cheap ones (eg £10 in Lidl) are a lovely tight fit, but made with stretchy lycra or whatever so I don't know I'm wearing it. They wash well too. Because they are so body-hugging I find the warm air gets trapped and I am much warmer. They are also longer/more body hugging than most of my tops so that annoying gap at the back just around the tops of my trousers doesn't occur.

I love the story about the old ladies on the sofa, especially the furby bit :lol: Today I am wearing base layer, long sleeved cotton top, short sleeved T shirt, jumper, gilet :D

Daphne, thanks for posting about this as I had long sleeve tshirts from Asda last year but they didn't have them in last week when I went. Are they as warm as thermal vests though as oddly I find those too hot.

Anyone else wear longjohns :oops: As I wear jeans all the time even for work I have some really lightweight ones and for the past couple of years I've got those out as soon as it's cold.

You can't beat big pants and knee length socks under jeans :D I buy my socks from the pound shops, I have a lovely collection of stripey Pippi Longstocking ones :lol: and do wear a long pair and a short pair in the winter. I'm also treating myself to some new jeans, after stumbling across a pair of Cotton Traders ones for a pound in a charity shop. They fit properly, and keep your kidneys warm!

Smart fleece tracky bottoms are great to wear with wellies for a winter walk. I have been known to wear leggings under my jeans though.

Yep another long John fan, normally for when gardening on those crisp winter days. My heating is on now, an hour in the morning, and 2 hours at night. I can't stand being cold when I get out of the shower! In. My defence, we're in a bunglaow but having the loft done, and there is big hole exposing the as yet un insulated roof!

Daphne, thanks for posting about this as I had long sleeve tshirts from Asda last year but they didn't have them in last week when I went. Are they as warm as thermal vests though as oddly I find those too hot.

Anyone else wear longjohns :oops: As I wear jeans all the time even for work I have some really lightweight ones and for the past couple of years I've got those out as soon as it's cold.

My long sleeve cotton T shirts have been acquired all over the place over the years - Tescos, Sainsburys, and dare I say it.....Edinburgh Woollen Mill (my excuse is that I was accompanying my elderly MIL who loves to shop there, and they were 3 for the price of 2 :oops: ). I also have a couple of much more expensive ones from my Mum which are made of pima cotton, certainly thicker and warmer. I find the cheap ones don't keep me warm enough unless I have a short sleeved T over the top, so they might be ideal for you if a base layer or thermal vest is too much.

I got a bargain Helly Hanson base layer top and thin long john bottoms last year from Cotswold whatever they're called :?: They are very good because you don't know you're wearing them and I try to persuade myself its a step up from the woolly vest and long john look....although really I don't think its ever going to be a passion/fashion winner :D