Charlottechicken

Who has the heating on? Autumn 2012

Do you know i am sat here at 7 pm and with cardi on and fleecy slippers i feel cold . :shock::shock::shock: Just looked at my room thermometer and it is down to 18c , i know it is going to be cold out tonight but already ! doesn't seem right, if it dips any lower i may have to throw the switch for an hour or two, i was hoping to hold out a bit longer though.

0.3C here this morning, frost and an icy windscreen. Has winter come early this year?

Stanley the Rayburn has been on for a week or so, which heats downstairs, and had to put the useless storage heater on in my bedroom a couple of days ago. Not that you would know it is on. :roll:

well i woke early and thought its freezing, popped downstairs to put heating on for first time (checked on chooks and noticed first frost) came back upstairs and realised HB had opened the bedroom windows last night :o - as he 'likes fresh air' !! i had to put a fleece on to go back to bed... well the dog had most of the quilt anyway... still in bed with fleece on but windows firmly closed :)

Yeah had to s"Ooops, word censored!"e the car off for Church this am, and as it is almost noon we have a healthy 7.5c outside in the chooks run, (and that has its covers on now.)I think winter is here never mind autumn.I daren't ask about snow or ice :!: I do have to go out , so i have got a.... shhh thermal vest on , just in case...

Frost here this morning as well :shock: No central heating on until about 3.30pm each day, but OH begging me to put it on in the mornings as he said it is so cold he saw a polar bear outside today :lol: I've told him to get a fleece on in the house :D I'll light the open fire soon, so it will be toasty and cosy when he gets in from work this evening.

Still no central heating on here, although I have been lighting the woodburner in the evening and at weekends. I will probably crack during next week, and I have a friend arriving on Saturday who is always chilly so I think I'll have to put it on then. I'm aiming to keep it to a couple of hours in the morning and the same in the afternoon, and then I'll light the woodburner/snuggle up in my slanket depending on what I'm doing.

I'm ashamed to say that having spent yesterday feeling freezing cold all day, I caved in and put the heating on :oops: I have an underactive thyroid so feel the cold anyway and I think that losing 2 and a half stones worth of blubber hasn't helped. I can't believe it I've held out until December in past years :(

Spare a thought for my eldest daughter whose New uni housemates are refusing to put the heating on,despite the fact that the house is uninsulated,cold & damp.

She has circulation problems & has been in tears with the cold.

The others don't care & one girl told her that any extra they have to pay,my daughter should pay if she wants the heating on.

They don't understand how a thermostat works.....only coming on if it goes below a certain temperature.

And their washing isn't drying at all.

I am ordering her a warm duvet.....might even get her a wool one like mine.

Edited by Guest

Oh Cinnamon how awful for her. Get her an over electric blanket too. Mine will be going on the bed just now.

I would be settiing the thermostat when everyone was out and throwing the On switch too.

I do admit to trying to last till the end of this month before i put my heating on, and it is really difficult this year . (i think it is colder this year.)

My wool quilt is already on the bed . I may have to get another as i bought my new bed as i missed it when i slept there while OH was on leave. Mind you it didn't take long to get warm.....it is a smaller bed though...and very cosy.

This reminds me of when I was a student, 2 girls and 2 boys sharing. We girlies would put the heating on and one of the boys would switch it off, it was a constant battle. We were on the ground and lower floors (ie a damp basement) and they were on the top floor...where any available heat seemed to rise to. Anyway, I have memories of my room, painted a horrible brown with an ancient thin rug on the bare boards, doing my work dressed in my huge outdoor coat (it was actually my Mums - I thought I looked good in this 1960's swing coat with huge buttons....but I now know that it being the 1980s I didn't :lol: ) My friend suffered more than me, she still uses a hot water bottle every night except the very hottest, and has been known to have 8 layers on her bed :shock:

Its got a lot colder here the past couple of days, there was a light frost yesterday morning and so the heating is now a necessity, not a luxury.

I have just given in and lit the woodburner, I have been looking for photos for my uncle who wants to do a montage on the TV for my Grandad's funeral, so I have been going through about 10 years worth from my hard drive. I realised at about 2pm that my feet had turned to ice and the ice had spread to my knees and there were two fluffy tight balls in their beds in front of a cold woodburner, so I decided enough was enough.

We have had the woodburner lit every evening for a few weeks and after lunch at the weekends, we haven't put the heating on yet, but we only really do that when it is sub zero and everyone is at home.

I now have a roaring fire and one of the cats has gone out :roll:

Sleet and yes snow showers so heating has been on - has been on most of the autumn too and in the evenings in the summer - its been cold here!.

I remember the last time you had snow! A couple of years ago it was really bad and you were snowed in weren't you?

Baltic here. Fingers are going numb, but I have found the slow cooker Mum gave me ages ago as it was too small for her and am doing a chickpea masala for dinner.

Fire cleaned out and ready to light, bags of hotmax delivered on Saturday, plus loads of wood! Small oil filled radiator on in the spare room as I need to dry my washing, plus stupid Economy 7 heater on in my bedroom for all the good it does. :roll::roll:

Slightly concerned that it is this cold and only October...... :anxious::anxious:

Sleet and yes snow showers so heating has been on - has been on most of the autumn too and in the evenings in the summer - its been cold here!.

I remember the last time you had snow! A couple of years ago it was really bad and you were snowed in weren't you?

Baltic here. Fingers are going numb, but I have found the slow cooker Mum gave me ages ago as it was too small for her and am doing a chickpea masala for dinner.

Fire cleaned out and ready to light, bags of hotmax delivered on Saturday, plus loads of wood! Small oil filled radiator on in the spare room as I need to dry my washing, plus stupid Economy 7 heater on in my bedroom for all the good it does. :roll::roll:

Slightly concerned that it is this cold and only October...... :anxious::anxious:

Yes we were snowed in a couple of years ago - tonight the hill Ben Rinnes is white half way down and the bin lids are frozen shut along with the car windscreens! - too early for this but it may pass and be gone soon! - I hate the start of it and yes the heating is pumping out good style!

Gave in yesterday afternoon and switched on the storage heaters. Woke up yesterday morning to -4c, ice and frost. Car windscreen, doors and handbrake frozen. Much the same this morning as well. Storage heaters warming up nicely, outside temperatures warming up nicely as well :roll:

I have made it to Nov with only one evening and one afternoon of needing heat through October.....but i have had to put it on for a bit this morning and this evening today ( and i have set the clock on the boiler) as it is getting colder and the wind feels like ice .......don't know how long it will be before i leave it most of the day though .