Charlottechicken

Who has the heating on? Autumn 2012

OK, confession time! I tested the heating and bled all the radiators last weekend, and left the heating on! It has gone so cold, my heating bill has almost doubled this past year, partly due to prices rising and partly due to the cheaper tariff I was on coming to an end. At present it is on low in most of the rooms that we use, and only in the evenings, it is still bearable without heating in the morning. We are lighting the coal fire at weekends for a cosy atmosphere, and I am trying to clear out the room with the woodburner in, as my mother has a large piece of furniture currently stored in there (should be a task getting her to take it back, but ho hum!).

I'm still in shock that I couldn't hold out until October with no heat :roll:

Who else has chickened out (pardon the pun!) and put the heating on?

We have all had a horrid coldy-fluey bug from going back to school and mixing with the riff-raff :!: ( well actually I think there are some horrid bugs about this autumn because there wasn't enough UV this summer to kill them off. Anyway, I worked from home on 11th Sept cos I felt rough and put the heating on that afternoon and I confess it's been on for 45mins each morning "just to take the edge off" ever since. It's now also on for an hour in the evening.

OH did mutter about it not being October yet when I first did it but then he succumbed to the bug too and quickly stopped complaining. :wink:

:lol: I've been wondering when we should restart this thread! I am still holding out, although I have lit the woodburner a couple of times. I am aiming for November but will probably chicken out before then, especially as I have some visitors in October. The idea of 'putting on a jumper' doesn't seem to register with most of my friends!

Well I am having my chimney lined tomorrow (should have been done when the woodburner was installed, it's a long story). The woodburner is already laid so I might light it tonight just to clear it (as long as it's cooled down before the sweep arrives!).

Electric blanket has been warming the bed before getting in for a couple of weeks now. Also had the woodburner and open fire lit a couple of times last week when we had all that rain. Having to put CH on for an hour just so the bathroom is warm when we want a bath but that's the only time it's going on so doesn't count in my mind-lols

We have had 'The Bug' here too - a horrible tummy thing which makes you feel freezing all the time,so had our on briefly.

This was mostly because the youngest daughters room is a total ice-box,& she had started to camp out in the living room where one of our log burners is :roll:

It is off again for the moment as she is away,but she is back tomorrow,so I reckon it will be on again then.

I might add that if she wore some nice cosy pyjamas instead of just her pants in bed,she might be a little warmer :roll:

:lol: Have the same problem here Sarah - I wear nice cosy PJs in bed, adding to woolly socks and a thermal vest when it's really cold; Rosie sleeps in a vest and pants :roll: I have only just put the summer duvet away after airing it outside and have the light winter one on.

I put the heating on one morning a couple of weeks back when it was 5deg, it is off again and I have the stove lit at every opportunity. The heating room stat is set at 19 deg twice a day and doesn't kick in until the temp goes below 17deg. At weekends (when we're around the most) the stove is going all day and the house is really toasty. We don't stay still long enough to get cold and wear plenty of layers... although Rosie is still wearing running shorts and insisting that her legs don't feel the cold :roll:

Still not got the heating on here but I am wearing top and jumper all the time. The children keep complaining about the cold. I just tell them about when I was young on frosty mornings the windows had lovely frozen 'ferns' on the inside :lol: I have been looking at the M&S fleece nighties though... does anyone have recommendations for other firms who make goood warm nighties :)