Ain't Nobody Here

5:2 Fast Diet

Monday was my day one. It felt easy, not sure what my exact calorie intake was....I had a tiny 99p pot of chickpea and butternut squash salad from sainsburys for lunch, and a piece of smoked haddock with a poached egg for dinner.

I went to bed at 9pm, and I did sleep really well!

I haven't overdone it today. I've had breakfast, lunch and dinner, no snacks, no puddings. I'm having some wine before bed. I downloaded the Kate Harrison book on to my kindle, started reading it.

My next fast day will be Thursday as I'm out for a Chinese meal tomorrow.

Good luck fellow dieters!

I have been considering this :think:

I know I'd need to eat meals though..... Was thinking I could have some berries or grapes for breakfast, a low cal soup for lunch and then a vegetable curry (no rice, but maybe that cauliflower rice) for tea. I'd also need at least one coffee with milk and sugar Im useless until I've had a cup :oops: Does this sound achievable for 500 cals?

I've lost quite a bit of weight through watching my diet and exercising, but my weight loss seems to have stalled now :(

I'm just hoping my willpower lasts :anxious:

Me too :anxious::oops:

Fast day 2 today, ok so far (but let's be honest, it's not 9 am yet :lol: )

Did try some fruit tea on Monday, which to be honest tasted 'orrible :vom: Like Space Chick, I like my coffee with milk and sweetener (have weaned myself off actual sugar in drinks), but because of the milk I'm trying to keep coffee consumption down) so that leaves me drinking gallons of diet pepsi (which to be honest is no different from any other day).

Anyone got any suggestions of something "better" I could drink that won't dip into the calories?

PS. Space Chick, thanks for the reminder about cauli rice, I'd forgotten all about that 8) I reckon you could squeeze in your wishlist for 500 cals - but watch out for grapes - they are quite high cal, I think?

Good luck everyone!

Well, day two of reduced eating. I managed to talk myself into a very small amount of cereal and a coffee. I had thought about just a black coffee but I really like breakfast :oops: Anyway I now feel guilty. I will need to try to eat little portions throughout the day though as I am driving about a bit and I am worried I may lose concentration :? I wish I hadn't eaten those chocolate eggs yesterday!

Apart from the forum that I have looked at but not joined, does anyone have any good links for inspiration? I did not see the documentary so am just picking up bits and pieces here and there.

I see there is a progress bit on the forum but I am scared to weigh myself :shock: Also I have two sets of scales and neither is very accurate. One set is quite new so I am a bit annoyed about that :evil:

Seagazer - so sorry you are unwell :( I cannot exercise much now due to trapped nerve problems so I can understand how frustrating it is when your health causes difficulty with weight reduction. Hope you feel better soon.

Anyone got any suggestions of something "better" I could drink that won't dip into the calories?

I don't think it is better but it is a change - Diet Ginger Ale. I decided to stop drinking alcohol for 6 weeks and I found this a good substitute :)

With regards the cauli rice do you just grate and cook this? Sounds like a good idea.

I'm going to have a break from fasting due to gallbladder problems. Read yesterday that you shouldn't do low calorie diets if you have gallbladder problems as it can make it worse. :( I've not had symptoms for a couple of years but its worse now than it was before. I'm hopefully seeing the doctor this week and will ask what they think.

Funny you should mention this but I haven't had gall bladder trouble for 3 years until this week, my second week into a diet.

I'm going to have a break from fasting due to gallbladder problems. Read yesterday that you shouldn't do low calorie diets if you have gallbladder problems as it can make it worse. :( I've not had symptoms for a couple of years but its worse now than it was before. I'm hopefully seeing the doctor this week and will ask what they think.

Funny you should mention this but I haven't had gall bladder trouble for 3 years until this week, my second week into a diet.

I had heard from a GP that a high protein diet could trigger problems. Could it be that inadvertently you have been increasing the protein element of your diet:?

I have to stick to my guns now though as I have told you guys :lol:

That's why I've told you all too :oops::lol::lol:

The cauli rice is as you say, grate it then plonk it in the micro - keep an eye on it as it doesn't take long, I'd say less than a minute in my micro, but of course they all vary - just a teeny bit of water in it, less than a table spoon should be more than enough - give it a go!

Just a quick reply to some of your questions:

There is a link to the original horizon programme in the 52fastdiet forum's FAQ.

A cup of vegetable stock/oxo/bovril is a good alternative to tea with milk and can help prevent headaches caused by salt loss due to drinking a lot, but don't have too many cups if you have high blood pressure.

Rapid weight loss is known to trigger gall bladder problems. There is a long thread about it on the forum. Keep meals small and not too high in fat. Sadly being overweight, female and over 40 puts one in the high risk category for gall stones, but losing weight is important so one just has to try to take it slowly I think. I've never heard of high protein triggering gall bladder attacks but keeping protein lowish is good for reducing cancer risk so should be an aim anyway.

As well as cauliflower rice, try courgette spaghetti...use a potato peeler or julienne tool to strip a courgette into "spaghetti". Microwave for 2 mins, use instead of spaghetti...it's really nice.

You can enter just your waist measurement in the progress tracker if you don't want to look at the scales! The scales are a very poor indicator of progress actually as they can't really tell you how much fat has been lost and the body analyser scales are not very accurate. Measuring your waist is the best guide to a healthy weight...should be half your height or less.

Good luck all...

The cauli rice is as you say, grate it then plonk it in the micro - keep an eye on it as it doesn't take long, I'd say less than a minute in my micro, but of course they all vary - just a teeny bit of water in it, less than a table spoon should be more than enough - give it a go!

Will certainly give it a go. I don't think I could manage it all the time but twice a week is doable! I have managed ok so far today. I sent rest of the fruit loaf away with MIL, out of harm's way :lol:

As well as cauliflower rice, try courgette spaghetti...use a potato peeler or julienne tool to strip a courgette into "spaghetti". Microwave for 2 mins, use instead of spaghetti...it's really nice.

You can enter just your waist measurement in the progress tracker if you don't want to look at the scales! The scales are a very poor indicator of progress actually as they can't really tell you how much fat has been lost and the body analyser scales are not very accurate. Measuring your waist is the best guide to a healthy weight...should be half your height or less.

Good luck all...

Thanks for all the tips. I will try the courgette. Also measure my waist when I feel brave :oops:

I'm off to docs this afternoon so will see what they say. I'm hoping that its ok to continue as I think its a very 'do-able' way of losing weight. I will admit that I do have to have at least 2 cups of tea with a smidgen of milk on my fast days. I absolutely hate herbal and fruit teas although peppermint is just about palatable. I was going to suggest Bovril, I've had this just for a change on fast days.

Cinnamon - hope you feel better soon. What sort of diet are you doing?

Almost at the end of the 2nd fast day. Thought I'd tot up the calories (I've never counted calories before so am a bit clueless :oops: ). I didn't eat much at all but it still came in at just over 600 :roll: . Still, it was all healthy stuff so I'm not stressing.

I started drinking peppermint tea at work so I don't have to bring milk in - I really enjoy it now (I hate all other fruit/herbal teas :vom: ).

I'd forgotten about Bovril - quite like that :P .

Any news, Seagazer?

Almost at the end of the 2nd fast day. Thought I'd tot up the calories (I've never counted calories before so am a bit clueless :oops: ). I didn't eat much at all but it still came in at just over 600 :roll: . Still, it was all healthy stuff so I'm not stressing.

I started drinking peppermint tea at work so I don't have to bring milk in - I really enjoy it now (I hate all other fruit/herbal teas :vom: ).

I'd forgotten about Bovril - quite like that :P .

Any news, Seagazer?

I only like one herbal tea - Cinnamon and Ginger, and I have to have a teaspoon of honey in it. I don't drink tea or coffee but I love water so not a problem for me.

I didn't want to get into calorie counting at all so I checked at the end of my first couple of fast days, as you did, and mine were around the 600 cal. mark. I'm not too fussed about being over the 500 as it's working for me. When my weight sticks I'll have another look at it.

Well the doctor thinks I have gallstones, has given me tablets to stop me feeling so sick and burpy :oops: He's arranging for a scan and blood tests. He said not to carry on with the diet :( Worryingly he said if I vomit and my temperature goes up then I have to go to hospital! :anxious:

Anyway enough about that, I hope everyone gets on ok with the diet. I will be very interested in how everyone gets on. :D