Ain't Nobody Here

5:2 Fast Diet

Yes, don't worry! My Omlet friends were all here for me last year when I had my gallbladder removed. You'll feel unbelievable afterwards, like a new woman. You'll probably also find you'll lose some weight too anyway. If your eyes turn yellow though, seek medical attention immediately. I left it it very late & my operation turned into quite an emergency!

I hope you are feeling ok today - the pain is really not nice. You truly have my sympathy!

On another note, I have the 5:2 fast diet book & have been wanting to start it for some time - but with the stress of my dads surgery, I could not focus. Once he is home next week, the following week I will start it.

I can handle breakfast & not much until tea time - but what do you all eat for tea to stay within your daily 500?

I do like salmon with lots of veg & I also like veg chilli - but other ideas?

Emma.x

To be honest, when I'm trying to diet I don't really change what I eat, just the quantities (and obviously try to cut down on the unnecessary, fattening stuff!). If I try to start using new recipes it just starts to feel like a chore - and the family don't need to diet, they're all like sticks and super-fit so it's a bit unfair on them :lol: .

I've been eating from a shallow soup plate rather than a dinner plate for years now. Sadly, it only helps with the weight loss if you cut out all the rubbish inbetween :oops: .

I'm not on a fast day today but didn't feel hungry so had no breakfast and went to my step class - I had boundless energy so am very pleased :P . I may well collapse in a heap later today though :lol: .

Thanks all for the sympathy. Craftyhunnypie - I read back over your gallbladder thread the other day for some tips. I've been drinking lots of cloudy apple juice! :D I hope your Dad recovers from his surgery quickly.

We liked the chicken stir fry (all the family ate that - but I cooked noodles as well for the boys). I think there is a salmon dish in the book which we had but again I just cooked potatoes for the boys to have with it.

A dinner I return to time and again is tinned toms, mushrooms and scrambled egg. Quantities depend on if I've eaten anything else during the day. So, sometimes I can even have a slice of toast too! :lol:

I'm going to start on this diet again next week. Too many days out planned during Easter hols plus son's birthday so I've had a couple of weeks off.

I always have natural yoghurt and honey for breakfast so I don't change that on a fast day. I make either soup or a nice mixed salad for lunch and usually have mushroom risotto with extra veg for dinner. I just keep an eye on the quantities and I finish the risotto with just 1 tsp of butter instead of.....what I would normally add :whistle:

Has anyone got the Fast Day Cookbook which is on offer through the Book People at the moment and if so is it any good?

I am a bit worried by the gall bladder issue, I suspected for some time that I have problems, I get pain or nausea if I eat too much fatty food. Strangely avocado really sets me off.

Well, today I'm back on the diet after two weeks of pigging out! Wish me luck! Our house is full of Easter chocs, biscuits and snacks so I'll have to remember not to accidentally graze! :roll::D

I don't have the cook book Chickencam. I use the myfitnesspal app to record/work out calories on my fast days. It tells me off for under eating but it is really useful (I don't use it on normal food days).

I tried this a month or so ago and was finding quite easy until I realised the lovely pre-packed salads I'd been having were 270 cals for half a pack not the whole thing! :oops: It sort of put me off as I didn't think I'd be able to cope with eating even less than I had been. I've been reading this topic though and I feel motivated again! I've downloaded the myfitness app and am planning on doing a fast day today.

I lost about 12lb last year doing Slimming World and, although I've more than that to lose, I felt so much better. I've managed to put it all back on and I'm hoping this and the fact my niece gets married in August will be the motivation I need to get the weight off again.

Good luck everyone!

I've lost 3 lbs this week :dance: . (My scales aren't digital so it's probably not particularly accurate.) I wish there was an accurate way to measure your waist - it appears to be half an inch smaller but I can't believe that :? .

I've been eating much less than normal on non-fast days and it's always easier to lose a lot at the beginning so I'm just going to see how it goes, I won't to able to keep it up for long :lol: .

I decided to use waist measurements as my scales can vary by 5lbs from standing on them one minute to the next :shock: I measured my waist this morning and it is exactly as before. I did not cheat on my 'fast days' and did not binge on the other days so I feel a bit :( . Anyway I will continue and see what happens over the next week.

I tend to judge weight loss by how my clothes feel on me but I know that I did lose a couple of pounds in the first couple of weeks so not a great loss but still a loss! I did feel better though.

I have been pondering what works (for me) in my approach to fast days. I have tried eating small amounts throughout the day that don't total more than 500 calories but I found that I spent all day thinking about when I was 'allowed' to eat next and how much and therefore my mind was totally focused on food. Not great :? I also tried no breakfast, small lunch and teeny snack at dinner time but a teeny snack just didn't cut it for me and it took loads of willpower not to keep eating more! Especially as OH tucks into a proper size dinner! So I think not eating at all until dinner time works for me as I don't have to worry about what to eat during the day - nothing! simple! - which means my mind isn't thinking about it all day. I really look forward to having an evening meal which is easier to choose and prepare as I have 500 calories to play with. I make do with loads of drinks during the day, water, black coffee, tea with a teeny splash of milk and I do have one of those Berocca style vitamin tablets in a glass of water too.

So far so good today. Trying to keep busy!!

It was my first fast day today (not weighed or measured anything yet - the scales would cry and I don't think the tape measure is long enough :oops::lol: ) I took a cup of soup to work in case I couldn't go all day but found I didn't need it. Have drunk 4 cups of tea at work (with less milk that normal) and used my calories for dinner. We had chicken breast, noodles, courgettes, peppers and mushrooms with a splash of soy sauce over the top. The plate was piled high but it was only 500 cal, I couldn't eat it all :shock: Will see how I manage on Friday (second fast day!) :pray:

I didn't go for a Chinese last week, but I did go out for steak and chips. After my two fast days I felt less bloated and the scales showed a loss, but the scales are back to where they started now. I think I will have to watch what I eat more so on the non fast days too! My OH is encouraging me to stick at it. Tonight I've had steamed veg and a tiny bit of salmon, lunch was 125g of chick pea and butternut squash salad, 100g cherry tomatoes and 60g of ham. I use MyFitnessPal too!

I tried this a month or so ago and was finding quite easy until I realised the lovely pre-packed salads I'd been having were 270 cals for half a pack not the whole thing! :oops: It sort of put me off as I didn't think I'd be able to cope with eating even less than I had been. I've been reading this topic though and I feel motivated again! I've downloaded the myfitness app and am planning on doing a fast day today.

I lost about 12lb last year doing Slimming World and, although I've more than that to lose, I felt so much better. I've managed to put it all back on and I'm hoping this and the fact my niece gets married in August will be the motivation I need to get the weight off again.

Good luck everyone!

AndreaT - when I was on the diet, the worse time for me was when I'd had a feta nicoise salad (recipe from the book). It didn't make me feel full at all. Yet the veg chilli with 2 tablespoons of brown rice was really filling. Salad just never fills me up.

My hubby has lost 8lbs now, he's a bit downhearted that its not more but I'm hoping he'll stick to it.

I slipped up with soup one day. It was a fast day and I was late home so didn't have time to make soup, I opened a can of pea soup and enjoyed it then I looked at the calorie count and it was something like 200 per serving.... and a whole can is 2 servings apparently!! I won't be making that mistake again!

I lost 1lb again last week - I'm happy with one or two pounds a week and can always go to three fast days if I want to speed it up a bit.

AndreaT - when I was on the diet, the worse time for me was when I'd had a feta nicoise salad (recipe from the book). It didn't make me feel full at all. Yet the veg chilli with 2 tablespoons of brown rice was really filling. Salad just never fills me up.

I had salad again last night and I have to admit I was hungry for the rest of the evening. I shall be better organised on Friday, my next fast day, and cook something instead. It's too easy to make mistakes with prepacked food!

My scales are totally rubbish so I am having to go on how clothes fit really. I think I have lost a bit but I have not been very good on the 'eating days' recently :oops: I know you are supposed to be able to eat but unfortunately I think I have gone a bit OTT this weekend. This week Tues and Thurs are my 'fast days' and I have got my food planned so that is good. At the end of the day I must have lost something...well at least not gained!

Weigh in this morning and I've lost 6lbs! :shock::dance: Not sure how I managed it and I'm sure it's a fluke but it's certainly made me want to stick with it. How's everyone else getting on?

Wow, brilliant, well done!!!!!!!!!! 8):shock::clap: That's an excellent weight loss.

I'm still doing the diet, but not weighing in (I can't be trusted, I get totally obsessed with weighing myself after every meal which isn't good), so like others, just going on fit of clothes. I have a pair of jeans I can get on but can't do the waist up yet, so will know if it's working by when/whether I can get into those!!

Well done everyone, good luck with this week!!

I was going to start this week, now ED has gone back to uni, therefore no tasty lunches being cooked for me :lol: I am going to leave it for a few days though, because I have a throat infection and horrible cough, hopefully I will feel better by Wednesday when I am going to Cardiff we DS for a uni open day.