Ain't Nobody Here

5:2 Fast Diet

I have just read this entire thread with interest & wonder if it might work for me - because quite frankly nothing else has!

I have a lot of weight to lose, & find it hard to diet when I am working (all that yummy food whizzing before me!), so I could fast on non working days.

Can you drink wine on non fasting days?

I know I need to cut down my wine consumption, but I do so love a glass (or 2) in the evening? Cutting it out on fast days would be easier if I knew I could still have some on the other days :lol:

I am pretty sure you can't have it on fast days - the maximum intake you can have is 500cals, you can distribute that as suits your metabolism the best; I prefer to have something small at breakfast and then smaller, healthy snacks during the day as it suits me better to have an ongoing intake even if it's teeny. Those water noodles or cauliflower rice are both good fillers, as are clear soups. I keep an container of cold chicken in the fridge for the odd nibble. Some people are better off with nothing at breakfast and fasting most of the day; I guess it depends on your metabolism and calorific needs.

I'm afraid that the wine will be your problem.

I have wine on some non fast days but I do try and eat sensibly on non fast days and try and keep well within the 2000 cal daily recommended limit. It is something I need to keep an eye on as if I go over 2000 calls regularly then it just cancels out the calories I skipped on the fast days :roll:

My 5:2 is all over the place at the moment :roll: . Sometimes I start off on a fast day but it all goes pearshaped when I visit mum and she makes me eat cakes :oops: or I just get the munchies for no apparent reason! I'm not going to stress about it though, I know how easy it is to do when things are going normally.

Just noticed after doing a typo that "fast" is an anagram of "fats" - how appropriate :lol: .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cinnamon, you can certainly drink on non-fast days, it just depends if you're planning on trying to consume fewer calories on those days. It just means your weight loss will be slower but that's probably better as you're more likely to be able to maintain the lifestyle!

I have downloaded the book, so I will now read up!

One more question though.......do you have to stick to which days you fast on, or can they be flexible?

I work Monday & Tuesday, so would ideally fast on Wednesday & Friday, BUT I am on holiday next week, so could space it out a little bit more.

Cinnamon, I have a lot of weight to lose and have tried so many diets over the years :roll: and never stuck at them! This I find really easy, if I want some chocolate I can and if it's a fast day I'll have it the day after. I also use something called My Fitness Pal on the computer (and phone) it's free and helps me track the calories on my non fast days as well. Lot's of people manage without it but I'm an over eater and it helps keep me on track! :oops::wink:

I have a glass of wine on some of my non fast days, and you can chop and change which days each week you fast on, and it isn't the end of the world if you occasionally only manage one day in a given week. The days shouldn't be consecutive though. I have struggled slightly with my non fast days, because I have though Oh I can eat today, so I have eaten things with the view that I can't eat them tomorrow. :roll: I find the fast days very easy, I drink loads of black drinks and fruit teas, there is a huge variety. If I wake up hungry I will eat a banana then nothing until tea time, if not I may have something like a hard boiled egg at lunchtime, then a small evening meal, but I have also fasted all day and used my whole calorie allowance in the evening. I have found that eating loads of veg like broccoli or asparagus with a poached egg works well for a satisfying meal.

Good luck, it is certainly the most sensible diet that I have heard of. :D

Ok, I think I am going to give it a go.

I would fast today, but I have already bought the weekends food shopping, & it can't be frozen, so I will make Monday my first day.

I am going to get some slim a soups, Bovril, Fizzy water & veggies in ......any other things I should buy to keep me going?

We only drink skimmed milk here anyhow, & I can live without wine for a few days a week :D

Does anyone know of any good Apps to help with the calorie counting?

Edited by Guest

Day one & first ever (voluntary) fast day for me.

I am sticking to the 'Day 8' menu plan in the book - however I REALLY overslept this morning & have only just had my 2 scrambled eggs & smoked salmon :roll::lol:

I am expecting this evening to be hard, but have heaps of bottles of San Pelligrino at hand to keep me sated.

Edited by Guest

Well,I rather enjoyed my first fast day.

I feel pretty perky this morning, & not in the least bit lightheaded or starving hungry.

The only downside is that I drank so much water I had to get up 4 times in the night :roll::lol:

I am having a normal day today - next fast is Thursday, & I am planning it already.

Glad it went well Cinnamon :) Once you get into the swing of it is not too hard to do. I have a bit of a headache this morning. I think I should try to drink more water but like you would spend all day in the loo! Anyway I am certainly losing weight so that is the main thing :)

I've kind of had 2 weeks off but was pleasantly surprised that I've not put on any weight :P . I'm just about at my target weight anyway (don't want to have to buy new trousers so plan to stick at this!) so may do the 6:1 just to maintain things.

I'm a bit cross about the invention of Malteasers :evil: . They are far too darn delicious :roll: . Only 186 calories though (but 3 would be a fast day allowance :shock: ).