Ain't Nobody Here

5:2 Fast Diet

Apologies if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find anything!

Anybody tried this? A friend told me about it yesterday and said loads of people she knows find it really works. My weight goes up and down year after year and I struggle to keep it off when I've lost it.

I've joined the forum (and immediately spotted an old Omleteeer who is a Mod there!). I plan to start on Monday :anxious: .

That would be me :oops:! I'm very impressed with the diet. I've been doing it since November and have lost nearly 3 stone! The biggest change for me has been the way it retrains the appetite so I don't overeat on the non-fast days, and I don't rush for a snack just because I feel a bit hungry...I'm no longer afraid of hunger. I know nothing bad will happen if I don't have time for lunch for example. I feel normal if a bit peckish from time to time on my fast days. Its very liberating!

I started the diet because it was the first approach to losing weight that I thought I could actually stick to long term. I knew that dieting results in putting all the weight back on (and more) unless you can maintain the lifestyle change for good. I love my cake etc (how else can I use up ask those eggs?!) so I just could not keep up the good habits with my previous attempts. When I saw Dr Mosley's documentary I knew that this could work...I only needed to have willpower on two days a week...and it wasn't even as if I wouldn't get a decent meal on my fast days! I can seers that when I get to a healthy weight I'll be able to maintain it with no problem.

I do think that the so called other benefits like preventing cancer, and Alzheimer's have been over sold. It might turn out that it helps but since being a healthy weight is the best thing I can do to prevent those things anyway, I'm just focussing on weight loss.

Sorry for the long post! I just want to add, though, that if I hadn't had such a great experience on this forum of how friendly and affirmative a forum can be, I would not have volunteered to be a mod at the 52fastdiet forum, so thank you omleteers for being such a shining example of how good a forum can be!

Yes! Although I have been off the diet for a couple of weeks and plan to start again this week!!

I don't need to lose a lot of weight but I do need to stop putting weight on. I have learnt that on my 'fast' days I do better not to eat at all til dinner time which sounds scary but is actually ok.

:D

Me and hubby have been doing this diet for the last month. We've had varying degrees of success, he has quite a lot of weight to lose and I've got about 10lbs to lose. We decided to try this diet as because its only 2 days a week it seemed achievable. I found it really, really hard to begin with and got headaches and very cold but it actually gets easier as you go along. I put a little back on last week but I've had a birthday and a weekend away, Easter etc. Hubby says that if he hadn't of been on the diet then he would have put on lots of weight recently but has managed to lose a bit without even trying.

We fast on Monday and Thursday and by Sunday night I'm actually looking forward to not eating as much the next day. I've lots about 4lbs but I really do need to exercise too. Its also a good way of dieting for us as we're away a lot at weekends at tournaments and the food available usually consists of burgers and hot dogs so at least during the week we can have our fast days. It also makes me eat less on the non-fast days too, you don't want to stuff yourself.

Great topic!!!!

I'm keen to give this a go and I too think the best option will be not to eat anything until tea time. I was just wondering what you all do on non-fast days in terms of eating - do you eat completely normally or still try to be sensible? :oops:

The first few fast nights, I would say 'I'm going to eat so much tomorrow' but it usually takes me an hour after waking up to even have breakfast. We have porridge made with water, usually nothing until dinner but if I'm struggling then I will have a slim-a-soup. One of our favourite meals is the vegetarian chilli. Kidney beans and brown rice are quite filling.

We just eat normally on other days, if you fancy chocolate or cheese then you have it. I've rather overdone the cheese recently and am paying the price with a bit of a painful gallbladder :roll::( hopefully that will settle and I'll get back on track. I only fasted once last week as I felt unwell.

Ok, so I know I'm blowing my own trumpet here, but please do call in at the forum if you have any questions about how to do 5:2, problems etc or to use our progress tracker which gives you a pretty graph of your weight loss and allows you to see the forum-wide stats and to filter the results to see how people exactly like you are doing so you know what to expect.

Going to pop over and have a peek :D I really like the sound of this diet but am a bit nervous of trying it as I feel constantly hungry - and that's when I'm not watching what I eat! However, if it really does help reduce feelings of hunger, then anything that can help me to not feel constantly peckish is a good thing.

I'm thinking I'm going to try a fast day tomorrow - when I'm in the mood, it's not that hard (just got to get IN the mood!) I find using yummy smelling handcream or lipbalm (particularly the lip balm) helps if I'm feeling peckish - it seems to take my mind off it (specially the lip balm, I've got dozens of different flavours :oops: ) Good luck everyone!

I'll pootle off and look at the other forum now :anxious: Hope it's nice and friendly like this one :anxious:

I started this in February and lost 7lbs in that month, then March I didn't fast as we had two birthdays and Easter which got in the way a bit but I maintained my weight through sensible eating. I'm back on it now.

I found the fast days really easy, I don't really like breakfast so found it easier to go through until lunchtime on the day after fasting. Finding willpower on just two days a week and knowing you can move days if you don't quite manage the one you'd planned without feeling you've failed is a very powerful tool.

I tried combining fast days with my two Aquafit days, Monday and Thursday, but it didn't work for me as I'm always hungry after an hours exercising so I changed to Tuesday and Friday.

Just to add that I am not usually a 'dieter' as I know I can't manage to stick to any formal weighing/measuring/avoidance of certain food types etc etc all day, every day. It just doesn't suit me or my lifestyle. I can (just about!) manage two days per week where I eat only 500 calories. Not always the same days each week, it has to fit with what else I have planned, but I can do it. I have chosen to take a couple of weeks off due to Easter hols, but I don't feel like I've given in or failed, I know that I can just pick up again next week.

Day One here too :anxious: Feel quite motivated so far so fingers crossed.

Reckon my fast days will be Monday and Wednesday (or possibly Friday) there's no hope on the days I work at home.

Am going to try not to eat anything until tonight - but might allow myself a cup-a-soup for lunch (and have brought emergency clementines, just in case :oops: )

Good luck ANH and anyone else giving this a go!!!!

Well, I've made it through to lunchtime (currently 1.43pm :anxious: ) and I haven't had to resort to Cup-a-Soup or emergency orange yet, though did have a cup of coffee earlier as I was FREEZING (added milk to that, not sure on the calories, but don't think it will be a massive dent in my 500 allowance for today :think: ) I've drunk gallons of diet pepsi (that happens regardless of fasting) so hope I can keep it up until tea time - might try a herbal tea next ...

I honestly can't believe how easy I've found my first fast day :shock: . I've only had 3 cups of peppermint tea, I've not felt at all hungry (despite all the biscuits and sweets in the staff room) and my tummy hasn't rumbled once :shock: .

I felt I should eat something for tea as I was cooking for OH so had a little couscous and some steamed baby courgettes and sweetcorn. Even managed to cut a piece of homemade banana bread for OH with his coffee afterwards and didn't feel tempted!

Well done Vicki on your first day, you coped better than I did. On the forum it had said that some peopl cope better by not eating at all until the evening.

I'm going to have a break from fasting due to gallbladder problems. Read yesterday that you shouldn't do low calorie diets if you have gallbladder problems as it can make it worse. :( I've not had symptoms for a couple of years but its worse now than it was before. I'm hopefully seeing the doctor this week and will ask what they think.

Hubby has done another fast day today, I'm hoping he will carry on even if I don't.