Egluntyne

Omleteers fit for 2014

What I'm about to say may sound a bit strange and maybe slightly cruel :oops:

This recent spell of nice weather has brought out a lot more "part time, fair weather cyclists".

Those who know me will know that I am a "chunky" girl and so to anyone who doesn't know me, they'd think I'm some unfit fat bird on a bike!

I gain no greater satisfaction than seeing the look on peoples faces who are far younger and far slimmer than me, when I overtake them :lol:

yesterday, there was one stunning attractive slim girl, probably around her early twenties, really struggling on a hill. I think the look on her face as she could see the person overtaking her was actually me, a fat woman nearly twice her age, was something quite special :P:anxious:

There, I said it :oops:

I know just what you mean :lol: . There was a very young lass at my core conditioning class yesterday who couldn't maintain a plank for more than 10 seconds (I did feel sympathy, planks are vile :wink: ) but I also felt a tiny bit smug. I think I was probably 35 years older than her!

I also had a quiet, personal feeling of smugness recently when the teacher I work with (35) did a half marathon one minute slower than my best time. Obviously I couldn't say anything but it felt good :P .

On the subject of Marathon running.

OH has a friend who runs Marathons in stupidly fast times.

We had decided to go for a cycle straight from work yesterday (we work in Swansea) down to the Mumbles seafront and around that part of the Swansea coastline.

OHs friend asked could he join us for a while, he probably ran about 4-5 miles with us before turning back, but he was keeping pace with us :shock: we were going probably around 10 miles an hour and he was running along side chatting away :lol:

We did another 4 miles before we turned round, so a nice 16 or so mile cycle for us, in perfect weather.

I know some people have cheesey feet - but today mine were fishey :vom: I got to Tesco and put my coin in and pulled out the trolley to find something wet on my feet (I was in flipflops). It was the contents of a John West tin of tuna -open in the trolley. I was well cheesed off - what idiot leaves an open can of fish in a trolley. Luckily had a tissue but the smell lingered and frankly I felt :vom: as I dont like tuna. I looked for someone to complain too - but lets face it - the fault isnt the staff its the idiots who shop there. So had a good :silenced:

I lost 5 stone January-April and have maintained since (thought I should be movitated to lose more!) so Cambridge who I lost it with sent me down to London yesterday for a photoshoot! :shock:

I got the train down, had a driver pick me up from the station to the studio by Tower Bridge - I had a stylist, makeup and everything! :lol:

When I saw what I was wearing I think I asked if I was meant to look like a grown up and it was a bit awkward having to "act natural" with 8 people watching me but had a really good day :D

I haven't seen the proper photos yet but will let you know when I do :)

What I'm about to say may sound a bit strange and maybe slightly cruel :oops:

This recent spell of nice weather has brought out a lot more "part time, fair weather cyclists".

Those who know me will know that I am a "chunky" girl and so to anyone who doesn't know me, they'd think I'm some unfit fat bird on a bike!

I gain no greater satisfaction than seeing the look on peoples faces who are far younger and far slimmer than me, when I overtake them :lol:

yesterday, there was one stunning attractive slim girl, probably around her early twenties, really struggling on a hill. I think the look on her face as she could see the person overtaking her was actually me, a fat woman nearly twice her age, was something quite special :P:anxious:

There, I said it :oops:

This made me :lol:

I do take my hat off to cyclists though (even if most of them round here appear to have a death wish as they cycle all over the road, but that's another matter). I love walking, can happily spend a day hiking up a mountain or going for a 15 mile trek, but a half mile cycle trip down the road on my bike sees me laid out for the rest of the day :lol: I just don't get on with cycling at all!

I am really amazed as I am wearing a size12 BHS dress I havent worn for 20 odd yrs. I wore it over trousers for work as Its short and strappy with a little cardie to hide my arms :whistle: I think its a big 12 however on the other hand we were not such a fat nation 20 years ago. :dance:

OH and I have just signed up to a 60km circular route of London...... On our Bromptons :anxious: (folding bikes)

It'll only go ahead if the weather is suitable. But it's the first week of July!!

Not long left on training. Can do 25 miles (so about 40km) no probs on my normal bike, but adding an extra 50% and doing it on a folding bike..... It's going to be a challenge!! Thankfully it's flat!

Well we did it, and on another thread I'm nagging for sponsorship and posted photos :wink:

Time was slow as there were so many people on the shared cycle/pedestrian paths. Was hoping for an average speed of 10 mph but only managed 7mph due to the stop/start nature.

Did get much better speeds on the road stretches :D

I have finally got across Virginia and into Kentucky on my virtual walk across America. I've ramped it up a bit and started dieting better since my shock visit to the Quacks and have lost 1/2 stone.

I think that because I'm 55 I have to pay close attention to these things as it's a dangerous time for ladies to gain weight.

Still desperately wishing for other 'ladies things' to stop and hoping that more intense exercise will hurry that along.

Space Chick, that sounds very satisfying. I've got a lovely Matt style cartoon image of you cruising past while the other cyclist is pedalling like fury with big sweat drops flying off her.

Alisgirls- dead jealous. I can only dream of size 12.

Well that's rubbish, most of the weight has gone back on. I think i'll smash the scales with a mallet. Because- I know I've lost quite a lot of size and my fitness is so much better. Was really pleased until I looked at the scales so I think they're not the best measure of health and size. It would be so easy to give up if I just relied on weight.

I totally agree. Scales really don't help (I tried 2 different ones a year ago and they weighed me quite a few pounds different :shock: )

I rely on the tightness (or hopefully looseness!) of trousers to keep me on track!

I managed a run each morning of my holiday (bar one) - very short but very up and down. However, we ate out so much and snacked a lot so it hasn't really helped the weight control :roll: .

The past few weeks, I've been getting back up the mountain trails again which I haven't done in months.

Our favourite run has a mile of up and down bendy bits, then four miles of a straightish gradual incline, then you turn around and get four miles of slightly downhill then the bendy up and down last mile.

When I started cycling, that ten mile run would take an hour and ten minutes. Yesterday and today we have done it in 46 minutes.

Staggering really, you don't realise how much you are improving until you look back on old stats and then realise how far you've come.

Here's a picture from yesterday, it was a glorious day for a cycle.

a4fa5abd5d0e80920b0c50c94be28320_zpsa5b1fd79.jpg

Today it was quite cloudy, and I think it's going to tip down soon judging by how dark the sky has gone.

I'm going for a swim this afternoon too, so would have had tons of exercise today :lol:

Great photo and well done on your improving fitness 8) .

I've had a rubbish week exercise-wise, been struggling with a heavy head cold :( . Hope to get back out next week.

Started pilates classes 2 weeks ago - surprised myself by quite enjoying it :lol: . Have been seeing a chiropractor for a really achy sore back but *touch wood* I've had no pain for a couple of weeks now - such a relief :dance: .

I'm loving my new fitness regime. I spend around two hours a day just working away in my little gym. I always have Sunday as my day of rest- if it's good enough for the Big Fella it's good enough for me. I do sets of thirty minutes of varying speeds and resistance through the day. I often do the full hour on the bike though because it feels so good, I suppose it's having good effects, it's not having bad ones anyway and that physical blasting away is very satisfying. I've taken it very steady especially on the treadmill and building up muscles gradually, I would hate to pull something and have to stop. I'm quite interested to see how I do on a real bike next because I know my leg muscles are stronger and more effective.