Daphne

So how is the season so far?

Our broad beans will probably go in this weekend, we have loads of seeds again having grown way too many last year and still have loads in the freezer, looks like we will have too many again. One of this year's varieties is Crimson Flowered so I will be interested to see what they are like. They are pretty much my OH's favourite vegetable so we do what quite a few.

Well after getting the flu at the beginning of January which set off a chronic asthma cough and 2 visits to the docs, some miracle strength steroid tablets and steroid inhaler and I'm up and running again. Well not literally! The Ist dose gave me the first good night's sleep in ages and the cough stayed away long enough to pull some parsnips and leeks. Today I've been in the greenhouse and getting cracking with the sowing. Super day it's been and I've done some onions, tomatoes, peppers, lettuce and basil. I'm feeling all motivated now! :lol:

After a pretty rubbish season last year, I'm not going to do so much this year :( . I think it was because my raised beds are now in the shadow of my neighbour's garage (thanks for that, Cala Homes :evil: ).

I'm going to move 2 raised beds to make 2 of the others double height and give the girls a bit more free-range space.

Rhubarb will come up regardless, I''ll def do courgettes (they seem to work), haven't decided what else.

I will be growing tomatoes and cucumbers in my fabulous new mini greenhouse though :D:dance: .

Since this morning the little white blobs of lettuce has now developed double leaves and getting big so fast. I'm sort of excited over a tasteless lump of green stuff! :lol:

Oh ANH. That is so poopy for you (well a lot toned down for the forum). :evil: But at least you will have sunny tomatoes. :dance:

Has anyone planted anything outside yet?

Chrissie

I haven't even got anything in the greenhouse yet! Been too busy messing about with tree clearing, building rabbit runs, chicken courses and painting sheds and plant pots! I do, however, have the greenhouse cleaned and ready and my seeds in front of me ready to start tomorrow. I've got courgettes, tomatoes, peas, sugar snaps, runner beans, kale, ruby chard, basil, coriander, borage, sunflowers, nasturtiums, calendula, watercress and rocket. I'm also doing pots of cat grass and pots of pea shoots and carrot tops for the bunnies. Hopefully my strawberries, raspberries and herbs from last year will do ok again and I'll pick up chillies, sweet peppers and cucumbers from a cheap local garden centre as I never have much luck germinating them.

Has anyone planted anything outside yet?

Chrissie

I might start the spuds next weekend but I won't start planting anything outside other than parsnips before May

but I'm already 10 days behind with seed sowing ( non sown yet) and a month behind with the last of the digging mainly because I've decided to switch my spuds to last years onion bed which still has leeks growing in it

I have indeed grown triffids - had to pot on the first lot of lettuce into their own pots now. Also pricked out the San Marzano and Russian Black toms - they are looking huge for just the first 2 leaf sets!!! :shock::shock: Seems like I'll be OK for salad then. My little French marigolds are bouncing up but the onions are still zzzzzzzzzzzz apart from one in the second lot of sowing. Dunno why the others aren't - it's probably a weed seed. :roll: I have sown 3 rows of parsnips and they are under fleece which is under enviromesh! I was hoping for rain to settle it all in and we've only had a little bit yesterday! I will do more rows when it gets much warmer.

One lot of peppers up. French marigolds are up. All toms pricked out now and so are the marigolds. I am keeping on top of it this time with the fewer sowings. I'm not panicking about pricking out and sowing in a rush - this year I'm hoping to finally crack the system! :lol:

Finally the first sown onions are just sprouting. Meanwhile the second sowing onions are about an inch high and already the roots are poking out the bottom of the root trainers!!! All looking good. Not checked on the nips yet, but that's on the cards for tomorrow. At the same time I'll pop down some more compost and sow another few rows.

I have given up my allotment - mainly due to back problems. The allotment police seem hellbent on nagging about paths and the mowers supplied are old, heavy and frankly last time I tried to use one I nearly flattened 3 plots and their crops :shock: so I have given up. We have moved the girls to a WIR and OH has bless him dug up a load of plants which were getting out of control and we will have a small veg patch. I couldnt grow greens on the allotment - not sure why so will stick to summer crops and grow bags. I can do little and often at my own speed. If I ever retire I might go back for an allotment - have had 4 in last 20 yrs and this one was a wilderness when I took it over. Now people are getting it turned over before they take it on. Not very fair when you realise how hard we worked. Good luck Christian and watch your back. :D

Same here Alis girls. We gave up our allotment when my back was bad - what triggered it? Weeds. Blooming big thistles and tugging them. Always had a back problem but we had to travel a few miles to get there. Plus a huge rat problem sealed the deal. We only ended up with a 3rd of our potatoes because of nibbled spuds. Not to mention the other things. Very demoralising. Apparently that last year they got the authorities in to deal with the pests and last count were 360+ dead rats. Probably a heck of a lot more to go too!

I've had a few back issues since but it's not stopping me doing veg in the garden here - and the soil is so much better than when we moved in. I'm looking forward to this year's crops - I think we will have a good one. :pray:

Leeks sown, peas sown (sugar snaps), some more lettuce and more spinach (these are poor or no germination).

The broad beans in the Growchar have all germinated and the half and half veggie compost and Growchar have only 75% germination, whereas there's nothing at all happening in the veggie compost on it's own. Makes you wonder! But exciting to see all going great guns now. Even the slow onions are really romping away. I wonder if it had something to do with the moon and all the weirdy things in the sky triggering it off? :think: