sparkysmum

Interview tomorrow, dont know what to wear :S

Help :!::!::!: I have an interview tomorrow for a post similar to my own, but more hours and possibly permanent. Dont know what to wear tho'. It is summer and schools are on holiday so could I get away with smartish dress with leggings and flat shoes or should I stick with my usual interview attire of black trousers and smart top. Tbh I feel more of a police woman, than a support assistant wearing the black trousers garb but I'm not sure if the dress n leggings is just too casual. Would love your thoughts. Thank youuuuuuuuuuuu :D Axx

In my experience (and I've had all sorts of jobs) you can be under-dressed for an interview but it's pretty difficult to be overdressed - even if you're much smarter than you would usually be in that job.

You might feel a bit silly and not quite yourself, but I'd go for the smarter look.

Good luck :)

Black trousers it is then, thank you :D I should hear later on tomorrow :anxious: luvachicken, I was thinking its quite amazing how many of us have similar jobs. This post is primarily in the schools "nurture room" Hugely challenging, but to keep children in the school system, rather than out, hugely rewarding too.

Black trousers it is then, thank you :D I should hear later on tomorrow :anxious: luvachicken, I was thinking its quite amazing how many of us have similar jobs. This post is primarily in the schools "nurture room" Hugely challenging, but to keep children in the school system, rather than out, hugely rewarding too.

We have something similar in the school I work at :D

I hope you get the job as it sounds very like my job and as you say is extremely rewarding.

Looking forward to how you get on later tomorrow xxx

I interviewed a woman for a reception job, she turned up in jeans and a t-shirt, hair s"Ooops, word censored!"ed back and carrying a bottle of water....she interviewed well and I narrowed it down to a few candidates but her outfit really did cost her the job.

She asked for feedback and I felt a tad mean but told her I didn't feel she was appropriately dressed for the position she had applied for.

I felt so bad for her though.

I agree with what has been said about better to be overdressed. When DD went for her job interviews it was quite hard to get the 'right' look. She didn't want to look too drab so added colour with a bright belt and beads just to show her 'fun' side. Good luck with the interview :D

She asked for feedback and I felt a tad mean but told her I didn't feel she was appropriately dressed for the position she had applied for.

It was good of you to be honest with her about her outfit that can't have been easy, hopefully she won't make that mistake again. I would have rejected her as well, reception is first place people see and people on it have to look professional.

I live in jeans and teeshirt when working at home but when I go into the office my hair is styled, make-up on, smart dress & jacket, vintage necklace to add some colour and heels and I avoid going into the office on dress down day as if I'm honest I'm too fat for the jeans and teeshirt look :lol:

Good luck for tomorrow Sparkysmum!

Thank you folks :D I have been in this position so often before but I usually get the phone call which starts with " you had a really good interview, but we had a really strong internal candidate" Arghhhhhh nothing worse than being interviewed for a post which to all intents and purposes is already filled. Hopefully not this time . Ax

Arghhhhhhh there were 2 posts , didnt get the one I wanted but was offered the one I was less interested in :roll: Wasnt going to improve my overall position so have turned it down. Will be staying put for the moment, but thats no bad thing :D Thanks for all your good wishes, you are all so lovely. Axx

That's a shame, but you must have come over well to get offered the other position :clap: and interview practice is always useful.

You've probably already thought of this but worth sending them a nice thank-you message, explain that you are looking for something more demanding than the offered role (and explain why you are ready to step up to that more demanding role) and let them know that if the role you interviewed for becomes available again you would still be interested.

That's a shame, but you must have come over well to get offered the other position :clap: and interview practice is always useful.

You've probably already thought of this but worth sending them a nice thank-you message, explain that you are looking for something more demanding than the offered role (and explain why you are ready to step up to that more demanding role) and let them know that if the role you interviewed for becomes available again you would still be interested.

That's how I kind of got the job I have at the moment.

I didn't get the job I originally applied for but offered to volunteer instead. Then they phoned me a few days later because they had something else and thought I would fit the bill.

Have my fingers crossed for the right job to come along :D