sparkysmum

Scottish Referendum

Honestly A, I only have thirty something friends on FB and 2 of the girls between them put up about 5 posts a day about it. It is reaching an all time high at the moment as one has put about 6 on herself today! At one point I felt I should not look at it daily but like to keep in contact with some folks through it. I agree with you about the aggressive side of things being so unpleasant.

I have a Scottish cousin, (my mum is a Scot). Cousin and his wife are very pro independence....and to be honest, I find some of the things that they have been posting on FB rather hurtful. :(

We are having to shield my mum from the news at the moment as she has alzheimers and gets extremely upset at the thought of Scotland leaving the U.K .... I will be glad when it all dies down. I hope that there isn`t too much bad feeling between the folks that are on opposing sides of the debate.

I`m glad that Scottish people are able to vote, after all we do live in a democracy. I love Scotland , we have had many happy holidays there. I hope that they stay part of the U.K and that things can become a little fairer for everyone...for example the Welsh, English and Northern Irish students will no longer have to pay the hefty tuition fees that Scottish students avoid, and that everyone else gets a bit more help with care costs for the elderly.

I don`t envy you having to make the decision tomorrow..... :anxious:

I think that although the different countries that make up the UK aren't always nice about each other, it's a bit like sibling rivalry but we have an incredible bond. We are an example to other parts of the world that although we have a contentious history and squabble and fight, we get over it and live side by side pretty well.

The break up of the UK is so massive to me that violent argument seems a bit appropriate. It is something that people should be passionate about and not just drift into. I think everyone should have had a vote because it will affect us all politically and economically. In England - more Tory government and possibly cheaper products plus some political fallout in Europe and at home. In Scotland possibly no EU and no sterling and possibly more expensive products. Those are major and I don't think waiting for the hullabaloo to die down is appropriate. It's a permanent change.

I hope it's a no vote but if it is yes then that is democracy and I will accept it.

I am in an interesting position here. My father was English, my mother Scottish. I was born in England but have lived the largest proportion of my life in Scotland. I have friends in both Yes and No camps. I think originally when the referendum was decided there was no thought it would get to so close a vote. The 'No' campaigners left it very late to try to appeal to the voters and I feel if there is a break up then this certainly will be an important factor. It is harder to start with when the words 'Yes' and 'independence' are positive words and the other group are trying to encourage 'No'. The 'Yes' campaign from the start has been very vocal and using social media to great effect. The number of people voting today will be huge because unusually every vote counts. There are more 'Yes' posters, leaflets etc. Infact a booklet came through my door the other day! Many 'No' voters are worried about putting up posters etc as some have been targeted for doing so. I think this has given the Scottish people a voice.

Many here get irritated by people down south referring to British people as English or the English Queen etc. I know it is not meant that way but that is not the perception. They often feel ignored. We have a lot of bonuses in Scotland though. I have English friends who are envious of things here. I do not pay for prescriptions, my children have/are having free university tuition, my mother had personal care (3x per day) latterly. I know to folk down south this would be amazing to have. I can see both sides. I will not say how I have voted (had a postal vote) but I am very afraid as to how all our lives will alter in the future. I also feel the situation of all members of the UK will change and the vast majority do not have a vote on this. Do folk feel other UK members should have had a vote :? Sorry this is a bit of a ramble but just a few of my thoughts on the situation :)

Don't know which way I'd vote if I was entitled to vote :think:.

I do think it's going to be very difficult if the result's as close as predicted, with 1/2 the voters not happy with the outcome - may have been easier if it was overwhelmingly one way or the other.

By this time tomorrow ...

(and like good chookie friends, we'll still share the Nesting Box whatever :D)

Someone recently said to me that they hoped the Scots will vote no, because otherwise how will people be able to elope to Gretna Green to get married? :lol: Not something I had considered myself but a valid point I suppose!

I can honestly say that I don't really mind one way or the other how the vote goes. I think there will be implications both for Scotland and the rest of the UK whatever the outcome. Free uni education and prescriptions are one thing, also income from North Sea oil (not quite as stable/reliable as Mr Salmond would have us believe), where does Trident go if Scotland becomes independent, to join the Euro or not, and so much more. I can only hope that the voters make an informed choice whichever way they vote. Alex Salmond seems a really slippery character and I can only hope that if the yes vote wins he can walk the walk as well as he talks the talk.

(And yes I vote for a United Nesting Box too :lol: )

I'm similar to you, LolaLayla, in that I have mixed parentage, English mum & Scots/Welsh dad (not to mention my Australian/Swiss birth heritage :lol: ). Born in England too but have lived here since I was 7 years old. I actually had no difficulty making my decision and voted early this morning. My 90 year old mum even decided today that she wanted to vote too 8) . Thankfully, I got her to the polling station before she forgot what she wanted to vote :lol: .

I too was wondering if someone would start a discussion here. I've not experienced much debate with colleagues/friends. I think people are nervous about nailing their colours to the mast.

Feeling quite nervous about the outcome but whatever it is, I hope the division in Scotland that has been caused by the Referendum will cease and we can just get on with making Scotland a successful country, with or without the rest of the United Kingdom.

I

I've not experienced much debate with colleagues/friends. I think people are nervous about nailing their colours to the mast.

That's interesting. Here there has been a huge amount of discussion,in my badminton group, with coffee friends and even on a coach trip I took. I think maybe work is the one place where it is not so good to discuss politics though! Most of my friends feel the same way as me but there are some who have strong opposing views. We are all nice to one another about it. YS says the majority of folk at college and at his work (so he has discussed it there) do not take the same view as him. I am not sure whether to stay up to watch the result on TV tonight/tomorrow :? I think it will be such a long time coming and I have no idea what the presenters will talk about for hours :?

Must admit I've generally only discussed it with friends who are voting the same as me (we all kind of tentatively sounded each other out first :lol: ) . I have been reading a lot online about both arguments though and have watched a lot of TV coverage. I must live in a very reserved part of Scotland - there's been no obvious campaigning apart from a few window posters. I've seen 2 cars with flags sticking out of their windows and a couple of banners on the bypass bridges but that's about it - and that only happened today!

I'm following with interest. I think it's a great shame there appears to have been some harassment of those with opposing views, we are a democracy and should not be afraid to state and discuss our difference in opinion but politics does seem to bring out the worst in people.

Although the outcome will impact me I think only Scots should have a vote, a majority of people living outside of a country should not be able to oppose the view of that population. If the government wanted to stay united they should have looked at why so many Scots will vote yes and see what they could do about it ahead of time not make last minute promises.

For what's its worth if I was Scottish I would want to vote Yes but the economic implications would mean I'd vote No.

Hi, I haven't talked about this with colleagues either as I'm not sure about their voting intentions! One side of the campaign in the area that I work is sooooo vociferous that I am quite fearful if the otherside win. Around here "no" publicity material is either removed or vandalised. I was in the audience of a BBC televised debate -broadcast last Sunday - and I have to say I was appalled by the behaviour, jeering and heckling of many "Yes" campaigners.

"Proud to be a Scot, delighted to be united" Ax

Oh noooo I'm having an undecided moment. My middle son has just voted, and he said he voted one way but it made him sad. I'm thinking if I was young and having a brave new world moment, I would prob vote "yes". Maybe I should, for the next generation of young Scots in a new world. Arghhhhh I've never had any doubt until now as to how I would vote but maybe, just maybe I should change for tomorrows young people. Only 3 and a half hours to go. Ax

I don't like that the Yes voters seem to have claimed the Saltire. It's not their flag to claim, it belongs to all Scots, regardless of their vote.

A young lad in Dundee (believed to be predominantly 'Yes') tested the claim that some Yes voters have been displaying aggressive and intimidating behaviour to No voters. These are some of the comments he received when he put on a "No" t-shirt -

The first person to comment was a No voter who gave a thumbs up and said, not very loudly: "I like your T-shirt."

Then another supporter said: "Good on you lad."

"Disgusting," said one passer-by wearing a plethora of 'Yes' badges. "You're disgusting, you're blocking democracy," he said.

Not that long afterwards a man shook his head and tutted saying: "You can't be Scottish and vote No."

Only a small minority behave like that, I'm sure, but it's unpleasant nonetheless.

I agree! I have been horrified at the violence and negativity of the Yes brigade....what happened to democracy? They must be desperate if they have to resort to bullying tactics.

Whatever happens it should be peaceful and dignified. Although I can't help but think its all an ego trip for Mr Salmond.......D&R :whistle: