sparkysmum

Scottish Referendum

I have just returned from holiday in Canada where they are following the situation quite closely (Quebec regularly asks for independence ) . We met a very nice young man whose brother is studying at Edinburgh university. He is Canadian but as he has been resident in Scotland for more than 6 months he is eligible to vote. He is going to abstain as he feels it is not his country so he should not have a say. It must mean that all uni students, wherever they are from will have a vote which I was not aware of.

Whatever the outcome I hope the internal divisions will not be damaging in the long term

We met a very nice young man whose brother is studying at Edinburgh university. He is Canadian but as he has been resident in Scotland for more than 6 months he is eligible to vote

Wasn't aware of this although my son has uni friends who are passionate Yes campaigners but are from Lithuania :shock: . Bit hard for Scots who happen to be living in the South for employment reasons and are therefore barred from voting :!:

There's a lot of stuff about this I don't understand

* will Scotland keep the pound? Or will they have to have a new currency?

* will we have border control between the countries and have to show passports?

* what about the NHS? Will it become the SHS?

* will the Queen still own the land? What about her properties there?

* and lastly... What about Eurovision? Will Scotland join separately? It's getting rather full! :shock:

For me I hope it's a No, I think it will cost them far more than is being admitted and it's a shame, we're stronger together

It does seem an odd system, but I suppose if they let all ex pat Scottish people vote everyone and his uncle would claim Scottish heritage. My son has been at a Scottish uni for only a fortnight. He is very interested in politics and would have loved the opportunity to vote, but it does seem strange that students from all over the world can vote, although what happens in Scotland may have an impact on them in coming years I suppose.

I'm a bit laid back on all this, what will be will be, there is nothing I can do about it.

I am worried for Scotland if it is a yes , will all the No hype come to anything ? If it does how many will suffer from it?

And if the No carries the majority , will they that are known to the yes side suffer persecution for how they voted ?

I really don't mind Scotland being independent , I just want everyone in the power seat of the politics to be sensible about the future.

I slept on the sofa last night so I could keep an eye on the proceedings (on the TV, you understand, not in person, so to speak!!!)

I'm really pleased with the outcome, not from any political point of view, I just think it's great that we're all still together. I know that's probably incredibly naive and that lots of people will be unhappy about the result but at least we don't have to rename the The Nesting Box UK!!!

Now it's all over I feel it is OK to comment (posting before the result might have been considered inflammatory). It was unfortunate that in order to remain part of the UK the voters had to vote "No" as it must have felt that they were voting for a negative thing? Also very hard to drum up support in a rousing fashion with " No " as the key word.

I wonder how the percentages would have changed if the question was phrased Yes to remain the in UK or No to leave the UK? We will never know but very interesting :think:

It's almost like asking a leading question, isn't it - I mean in Court etc. lawyers are not supposed to ask a question that can be answered yes or no (I know that's a very sweeping generalisation) so they are not seen to be leading the witness to answer one way or another.

I'm sure there were plans for us to have a referendum on something once before (possibly to stay in or leave the EU?) and one of the many reasons why it didn't happen was because no one could settle on what the question should be (well how it should be phrased) :anxious:

It's almost like asking a leading question, isn't it - I mean in Court etc. lawyers are not supposed to ask a question that can be answered yes or no (I know that's a very sweeping generalisation) so they are not seen to be leading the witness to answer one way or another.

I'm sure there were plans for us to have a referendum on something once before (possibly to stay in or leave the EU?) and one of the many reasons why it didn't happen was because no one could settle on what the question should be (well how it should be phrased) :anxious:

no the reason was that at the time there was a very high likely hood that we would have voted to leave the EU and the government at the time couldn't afford the humiliation of that defeat

Really sad about the fighting in Glasgow last night between different sides. However I think some people just look around for an excuse to involve themselves in unruly behaviour :( I hope the promises made in the latter days of the campaign come to fruition otherwise there will be a very bitter feeling in the country. It is also sad how the saltire is being used by the nationalists and the union flag by the No folk. Both flags belong to all scots.

Couldnt agree more L/L someone even suggested recently that No voters had no right to sing Flower of Scotland. This is so sad, this anger and bitterness should be channelled into doing something constructive. We are seeing exactly the reaction I was afraid of, the sort of hooligan reaction which we have seen elsewhere. The leaders need to call for peace. Ax