Egluntyne

Anyone had their teeth straightened as an adult?

I've come into a little bit of unexpected money. Dear old Uncle Bill left all his nephews and nieces a few bob, and it is enough to pay for me to have my teeth straightened. Something I have always wanted to do but could never really justify financially.

Has anyone got a tale to tell or advice to give?

I did. My bottom teeth were crooked with crowding with age. Very noticeable on photographs. The shadows cast looked as if I had a missing tooth. I went for the Invisalign invisible braces. They work by a series of clear retainers changed every few weeks. Initially a bit uncomfortable but easy to wear. My experience and I don't know if it was an age or my teeth thing was after a few months A crown I had for some years became a problem and I ended up with an implant, then the tooth next to it which was the last tooth in the brace played up and needed a crown.These were the last teeth in the brace and I wondered if the pressure caused the problems or if they would have happened anyway. My teeth ended up lovely and straight and thereafter you wear a retainer at night.I always was concerned about the crown and implant under pressure from the retainer and never felt I got a straight answer from my dentist. I have since changed to a NHS dentist and Am happier. I stopped the retainer and my teeth have moved back although not as bad. So for me it was an expensive journey. My daughter at 38 with no fillings, all her teeth but slight over crowding did Invisalign in London and wears her retainers and is very pleased. I would research it and discuss it with your dentist and if you have crowns etc ask how they will react.

I looked into this a lot - it was going to be my reward to me for quitting smoking

But after much research I didn't go ahead

The main thing that put me off is that I would have to wear a permanent metal bar in my mouth to retain the teeth in their new position (and experience with temporary dentures tells me I'm not at all good at having alien objects in my mouth! :lol: )

Also my teeth are a bit rubbish - they decay easily and seem brittle (currently having implants after one just broke off!) so the chances of the teeth breaking/needing implants anyway in the future were quite high.

I do know people who've had it done successfully, but they've been in their 20s with excellent teeth (apart from being crooked)

Not sure whether that rambling helps...

I had my teeth straightened as an adult, I was about 56 or 57 when I had it done and it took between a year and eighteen months. I am very pleased with the result and glad I had it done. I had had quite a bit of extensive work done first with restoration as I had a lot of fillings which looked black in my mouth and now my back teeth are all nice and white. Then, because I was unhappy with crowding at the front leading to my front teeth being pushed forward and ugliness at the sides due to crowding and an overbite, I went for the orthodontic treatment to have them straightened. I am so pleased I did

I was with a private dentist at the time but I paid for it bit by bit. He thought that the invisalign would not give such a good result as front fitted braces so I went with what he advised. First I had to have two teeth removed from the top set. On the bottom there were two spaces already as my secondary teeth never grew when the primary teeth came out. When the gums had healed following the extractions, my dentist then applied the braces to my teeth which consisted of metal brackets stuck onto my teeth to which he applied rubber bands and each month I had to go back to have new bands put on to apply pressure or traction to various areas. It is perfectly possible to have your teeth realigned at that age.

My daughter, who had braces when she was a teenager, warned me that after having the bands tightened I would be in pain as she was, but although I experienced some pressure for a couple of days, it was not that bad and soon wore off. The worst bit was some nasty mouth ulcers that I developed from the abrasion against the inside of my mouth from the brackets, this was only temporary and my mouth soon toughened up so that it did not get sore any more. To help with this at first, I bought some stuff called Gishy Goo which you can stick onto the brackets and this relieved the pain from the ulcers while it was at its worst, this was expensive but I only needed one lot and I also used wax, which worked the same way, for a while. If you have Invisalign you might get a bit of soreness on your tongue but it is likely only to be temporary. Also eating will require a bit of readjustment but you will soon get used to that. Another difficulty I had which I had to overcome is wearing the retainers as I was in a job where my speech had to be very clear. So I tended to wear those all night and only as much of the day that I could manage. Even so I achieved quite a satisfactory result - my teeth are not 100 per cent straight but it has made a really noticeable difference. The upper gaps are closed up and the front teeth have gone back, and the bottom gaps are still a tiny bit gappy but they are fine. I am very pleased with the result. I do have a crown at the front which is due to be replaced, which when it is, will go better with the rest of the teeth- at the moment it looks a bit out of place although not too much. I would say, go for the treatment. It is worth it!

Another person that had my teeth straightened after 40. Mine were never straight but the bottom teeth got noticeably worse when I got an abscess on an impacted wisdom tooth. Working with lots of Americans I was self conscious of my crocked teeth and I was worried the overlap on the bottom made it harder to maintain my teeth.

I had fixed track braces top and bottom, regular on bottom, clear(ish) fitting on the top. 18 mths, cost of a holiday :oops: but I'm glad I had them done.

If you have mild crowding then six Months smiles or the like Might be good for you, it's a really good option, fairly affordable compared to conventional orthodontics and is usually done in six months or so (hence the name:)

If you have a more difficult dentition then I would get some local recommendations for a good orthodontist and like the others have said you will need to wear a retainer for the rest of your life otherwise your teeth will move back very quickly. This can be either a removable (usually worn at night) or fixed retainer, this is like a little bar cemented at the back of the teeth that is unnoticed after a week or too apparently

Most orthodontist I know take incremental payments which usually helps as they don't come cheap

The main thing that put me off is that I would have to wear a permanent metal bar in my mouth to retain the teeth in their new position

My brother and a few friends have permanent retainers fitted behind their teeth and get on fine with them, you'd never know unless they tried to show you.

I had braces as a teen and wore a retainer for about a year, haven't for the last 10 years but pretty happy with my teeth.

I had a deep bite so had to have springs and then elastics to pull my bottom jaw forward which were a complete pain but I guess it was all worth it in the end.

Thanks everyone. Am fancying the six months smiles option, but am weighing up all the options.

Six month smiles is the actual company name, there are similar options with different names and prices i.e. Fast-braces and Lewis is right, it's a small bar cemented behind your teeth and I have never had anyone want to have it removed.

This is interesting.... A colleague has Invisalign in at the moment, and is really happy with them, although I had no idea that you had to use a retainer thereafter.

I have overcrowded teeth top and bottom due to impacted whizzes, which were removed in my 20s. If I had the money, I would certainly have mine done, so go for it Eggers!

Lewis, I remember your braces!

Neighbour and her husband had theirs done a couple of years back. She mainly needed it because she had an argument with a branch when doing eventing and they never behaved after she had to have reconstructive surgery. She also had her front teeth veneered to even them up at the same time. Husband didn't need his done but he doesn't seem to like his wife doing something different without him!!! :roll:

Hope you are really happy with the result. Me - I had orthodontist treatment done at the age of 12. Ehhhh what's up doc!!! :lol: