gavclojak

having to foster out my girls..advice needed

I am gutted to say the least. We have a very large enclosure, approx. 20 foot wide by 20 foot deep, due to the ground not being level we corrugated the back half of the roof and on the from half, the only thing that we could use was a strong fruit net.

We worked on the assumption a fox wouldn't step on it for fear of falling through....four years on.....WRONG...I was sitting watching little house on the prairie (don't ask) at 7.30am thursday and there was a fox just sitting there watching my girls. He ran off as soon as he was me.

We have planned to take the run back by about ten foot to the corrugated section and then secure the front but this will take a couple of weeks and during this time my poor four girls are going to be fostered out for to a lovely lady who has 20 pet hens in one enclosure. my girls are going to be popped in with hers, I am terrified they will get bullied, will lose each other etc etc but at least they will be safe.

any advice would be welcomed. would you leave them with her if they settle? rather than unsettling them again, will they come together as one little flock again after being with 20 odd other? or would you keep them at home I the hope he doesn't return while we do the work on the run???? HELP

I think they would get used to being in smaller run. When we moved house my girls lost their big roaming area and had to be confined to walk in run. They used to look out from the WIR sadly, or was that my imagination! Eventually 6 months later we made them another ' play ' area which they enjoy,but I think they would have been fine in WIR. Obviously their safety is the main concern,if you could keep them safe at home I would prob go for that to prevent bullying, distress and reintegration problems.

I agree entirely with Grandmashazzie Gavclojak. No doubt they will be bullied and even injured if they are just added to another flock without a proper integration process. Then they may come back with some nasties. They will be fine for a few weeks in a smaller run at your place.

Thanks everyone, your help and words are invaluable as always....I can't let them go, I have been in such a state over the thought of them bullied. I don't know anyone with a free run, all the holiday homes where I have hired a run before are fill.

We are making a start tomorrow and trying to secure at least a small area, it may take a few days and I may get an attack in the meantime but call me selfish...I can't let me sweet girls go:(

Thanks but I decided I couldn't let them go so.... We have taken it right back and secured the front with half inch wield mesh, made up anti dig skirts around the bottom and topped with concrete slabs.

We have a little void on the roof at the moment that is chicken wire covered with fruit net but we ran out of timber but we are going to put another corrugated sheet to overlap that's asap.

We now have the cube outside but attached to the enclosure securely, my only worry is the skirt of the cube, we have really uneven dry Earth at the moment and only 4 pegs but I have done what I humanly can and have order about a zillion omlet ground pegs

we dug our mesh about a foot into the floor and then laid slabs on either side of it at ground level, as foxy is unlikely to be able to dig down and then about 3 foot across... fingers crossed it's worked - been 7 yrs!

Hope things have improved for you. I do have a spare eglu if you need a temporary fix...

I was going to ask the same - I like your er balls (the green hanging things - not being rude :shameonu: )

Nothing better than a pair of hanging balls!!!

In the run I have lavender, bamboo and another grass type thingy....I have used lavender lots of times and the girls don't like it at all :whistle: