UKMARCH

Egg shortage

GNR My Sussex hasn't laid for 5 days now and she's having a bit of a moult. PP My Speckledy hasn't laid an egg since her moult in February! She's moulting again now so maybe she'll kick start herself into laying again soon. (Bluebelle) My Araucana had a broody spell then straight into a moult so hasn't bothered to lay for about 4 weeks now. PP My Rhode Rock was egg bound and really ill a couple of months ago, she's laying again but her eggs are a bit rubbish at the moment and we're scrambling them and giving them back to the chickens to help with the moult.

(Bluebelle) My Bluebell is moulting and still laying, bless her! She's keeping us supplied (just!) with eggs.

I've changed their feed a couple of weeks ago to see if that helps, seeing as egg production has been so poor this summer for young chickens and the Speckledy packed in after her last moult. I'll have to wait and see... they laid all through the winter last year!

Ugh..to gloat would just be a quick route to eggnihilation! But so far I'm getting between 4-5 eggs a day.

I'm also waiting on the young girls to start laying, they're 23 & 21 weeks old. Looking forward to my first !eggblue! or !eggbrown! . Although one of the CLB's is decidedly russet in colour eek

Am I just being greedy?

Ugh..to gloat would just be a quick route to eggnihilation! But so far I'm getting between 4-5 eggs a day.

I'm also waiting on the young girls to start laying, they're 23 & 21 weeks old. Looking forward to my first !eggblue! or !eggbrown! . Although one of the CLB's is decidedly russet in colour eek

Am I just being greedy?

Yes you are :lol::lol:

I also get 4 or 5 a day, but I have got 20 girls. Some of those are last years pullets, so I expect they'll slow down soon. :wall:

I'm down to 2 girls laying just about getting 6 a week

I'm waiting on 6 pullets to start laying 19 -21 weeks old this week but I can't see the, laying now till Christmas and the wait is driving me crazy as I want to see what colour the egg will be as at least 2 of them have a slight blue tinge to the ear lobes and I want a darker shade of green than the one I get now

the wait is driving me crazy as I want to see what colour the egg will be as at least 2 of them have a slight blue tinge to the ear lobes and I want a darker shade of green than the one I get now

Yes it's double bubble with pullets/coloured eggs. First lay is difficult enough waiting for, but when your waiting to see what colour they'll lay....well its nail biting!!

the wait is driving me crazy as I want to see what colour the egg will be as at least 2 of them have a slight blue tinge to the ear lobes and I want a darker shade of green than the one I get now

Yes it's double bubble with pullets/coloured eggs. First lay is difficult enough waiting for, but when your waiting to see what colour they'll lay....well its nail biting!!

it don't help that the colour might go some way to deciding which of this years boys I keep

it don't help that the colour might go some way to deciding which of this years boys I keep

:anxious: Oo er I hope U haven't told them

no only told one of the 2 big guys He's starting to 'attack' my feet from time to time the last 2 that did that had a bit of a nasty streak in them that stated to get worst as they got to about 5 months old one was the uncle of this one on the Cooper maran side of the line who was a nasty beggar luckily the trait doesn't show up that often and it's only the one that go for the feet. the one's that try for my fingers mellow out at about 10-12 months old

I have 8 and am lucky to get 3 eggs a week. It sound a bit heartless but I am hoping a few don't make it through the winter. Then I've had it with posh girls and will be back to a few brown hens or ex batts that actually lay. I was spoiled, my first girls were 12 ex batts and I got an egg a day from all of them.