patsylabrador

What's your preference?

Aitch and 'an hotel' might be correct but to my (northern) ears sound a bit strange.

Surely it should be an 'otel or a hotel :?

I always thought the word AN went with words that followed beginning with a VOWEL :?

An orange

An apple

An ostrich

A hotel

A hospital

A car

It can only be an hotel if you drop the h (aitch) at the beginning of hotel.

Aitch and 'an hotel' might be correct but to my (northern) ears sound a bit strange.

Surely it should be an 'otel or a hotel :?

I always thought the word AN went with words that followed beginning with a VOWEL :?

An orange

An apple

An ostrich

A hotel

A hospital

A car

It can only be an hotel if you drop the h (aitch) at the beginning of hotel.

There are some words which have their origins in Old French. If they start with an H then the H is supposed to be silent and preceded by the indefinite article "an" rather than "a". Hour and hotel are examples of such words. However, the word "hotel" has been a common pronunciation problem for a long time, so has now gone through a further anglicising process such that it is now commonly recognised that "an 'otel" and "a hotel" are both acceptable pronunciations (although in both cases the H is still written, so the written form of "an hotel" is correct). This is the result of a living language evolving to reduce misunderstanding, and that is as it should be. The only combination that is currently incorrect is "an hotel", but only time will tell what further evolution will do to that.

And then we have privacy. Priv acy not pry vacy as in please m'Lord can I go to the privvy. Although it's allowed for North Americans.

Brummies are allowed to say pry-vacy ;)

Puts me in mind of YS favourite joke which just happens to be 'Brummie' one told him by our Brummie friend (well, he's from Sutton Coldfield actually :wink: ) What's the difference between a buffalo and a bison? You can wash your hands in a bison!