patsylabrador

What's your preference?

Aitch

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Pronunciation:

aitch/eɪtʃ/

Which makes sense as prefixes should treat any word starting in H as being with out it, so 'an hotel' not 'a hotel'. If the 2nd letter is a vowel, then the h is treated as silent.

Hmmm, I wonder if those living in 'Arlow, Essex and 'Aringey, London know! Obviously 'Eckmondwicke in Yorkshire have caught on!!!! What an amazingly complicate language we have :think::roll:

Funny, but coming from the North I would say 'a hotel', distinctly pronouncing the 'h'. I thought dropping the 'h' was a French thing, but then the language does derive from French does't it?

The most perfect English is spoken in Leicestershire,as I found out when I worked there. Not a trace of an accent at all.

Definitely aitch :D

I can't stand the haitch at all.

Don't get me started on it.

The children at the school I work at sometimes say it and I tell them it is aitch.

You don't sing the alphabet song and then stick an haitch in it, it just doesn't sound right :evil:

Even my sentence doesn't make sense with 'an haitch' in it :roll:

Aitch

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Pronunciation:

aitch/eɪtʃ/

Which makes sense as prefixes should treat any word starting in H as being with out it, so 'an hotel' not 'a hotel'. If the 2nd letter is a vowel, then the h is treated as silent.

Agree with the pronunciation, but not so sure about the explanation. For instance:

A hat

A hawk

A head

A harbinger

A hand

A humbug

I can't be absolutely certain (school was a long time ago and I haven't researched fully), but I think the only words with a silent H at the beginning (and which are preceded by the indefinite article "an") are ones with their roots in French - hour, honour, honest, heir, hotel and so on. What I have found, though, is that the letter's name comes from old French, and therefore is quite correctly pronounced without an H. Even if it were spelled "haitch", therefore, it would have to be correct to pronounce it "aitch" as following the same form as the word "hour".

Trivia? Absolutely. Fun and interesting, though.

To me it would be Hay-CH. But then I am told that I sound quite posh. lol

I had to tone down how posh I was in my last job as my boss used to take the you-know-what out of my 'telephone voice' as she called it.

I also used to pronounce gas as g-"Ooops, word censored!" as opposed to g-ass, and grass as gr-"Ooops, word censored!" as opposed to gr-ass etc. :oops:

Funny, but coming from the North I would say 'a hotel', distinctly pronouncing the 'h'. I thought dropping the 'h' was a French thing, but then the language does derive from French does't it?

English is primarily a Germanic language, but has a French influence because of the Norman invasion and the Anglo-French royal marriages etc.

Just like changing the ending of each sentence like you are asking a question when you are not.

I used to live in the US and I can tell you the worst people in the world for that are (no offence to them) people from L.A.; they all sound like everything is, like oh my god - that is literally the most exciting thing I have ever heard...? :lol:

I think it is just another habit that people have got into.

Just like changing the ending of each sentence like you are asking a question when you are not.

That really gets on my nerves too.

Sorry.

I blame 'Neighbours' for this.....it drives me totally nuts and, intolerant that I am, whenever I hear it I have images of me wielding a crowbar efficiently :oops::roll:

I think it is just another habit that people have got into.

That really gets on my nerves too.

Sorry.

I blame 'Neighbours' for this.....it drives me totally nuts and, intolerant that I am, whenever I hear it I have images of me wielding a crowbar efficiently :oops::roll:

So glad that I am not the only one :D