PixieDust

Important Government Notice

I've just read this elsewhere, someone who's a member of the NFU forwarded it to me.

I don't let mine out much anyway at this time of year due to weather/lack of daylight. We should note however that this is aimed at commercial poultry keepers, rather than back-garden hen keepers. Useful to know about but no need to panic.

I don't really understand what people are meant to do if they cannot take such measures? Me, for instance: we haven't got any suitable indoor space for them, and it's not like I can physically shoo away every damn wild bird in the area...

Don't free range them and keep them in a closed top, covered run. At least that's what I'm meant to do here in the Netherlands.

I don't really understand what people are meant to do if they cannot take such measures? Me, for instance: we haven't got any suitable indoor space for them, and it's not like I can physically shoo away every damn wild bird in the area...

Don't free range them and keep them in a closed top, covered run. At least that's what I'm meant to do here in the Netherlands.

What Cat tails said - and make sure any wild birds can't access the chicken's feed. So a temporary cheap tarpaulin would be fine to cover the run, don't scatter excess feed and if wild birds can get into the run through the netting then use a feeder they're not going to be able to help themselves from.

It's only for 30 days and at this time of year it's 30 very short -and getting shorter - days, so keeping chickens enclosed in a run for 30 short days is preferable to ending their lives because we perceive it as unacceptable rather than seeing how it goes for the chickens themselves. If you keep on clicking link after link to read all the info given, then it seems unlikely that the UK will have a problem with infection unless it's here already as the migration routes from now will not go via the UK. Therefore the chances are good that this will be a 30 day precaution only.

My chickens will not be impressed whatsoever but they will get extra entertainment and enrichment and they're in bed by 3.30 pm as it is.

Keep Calm and Carry On Chickening :wink:

Olly I'm sure you're correct but if you read the pdf referenced in the text (which was released today) it does say it applies to backyard poultry keepers too.

Yes, it does but (for example) we're not expected to disinfect our boots every time we enter the run. The biggest risk is with transfer of stock and high density stocking. As long as your birds are in a secure meshed run that can't be accessed by wild birds, and as long as the feed and water is also secure, you don't need to do much more. It says in the PDF that a tarpaulin will be sufficient covering as long as any gaps are netted.

Since free-range birds don't lose their status if they're kept indoors for 30 days I'm sure your hens will be fine Blackrocksrock. As long as they've got a square metre per bird that's enough. Most of us are unable to free-range our hens because of the fox risk.

Andy, if you haven't got a covered run just bung a tarp over the top - that's all it needs.

The hens move in and out between the cube and the run at will. It's covered with tarps, and I've never seen wild birds in the run... they have a separate bird feeder and bird bath on our patio, so they target that instead.

I also find this ruling completely bizarre because I am willing to bet that the vast majority of domestic chicken owners wouldn't even be aware of the rule. If I hadn't clicked the link through pure curiosity I wouldn't have had a clue and I've have carried on blissfully unaware.

I think it's plain and simple - as a chicken lover, how would I feel if I knew my birds contracted it and I hadn't carried out the recommended advice beforehand? And then I'd helped it spread to local people's flocks, many of whom I would know as friends.

I think a little tough love now will hopefully prevent a lot of nastiness - just think back to the foot and mouth contagion and the sight of those poor cows - I'll never forget those days :(

Just read this after OH rang to say he'd heard it on the news! It means the greenhouse for my 3. At least they can dig and bathe in the border soil. I think I'll combine incarceration with an early worming week as they'd be on restricted roaming anyway. As I'll be retiring at Christmas I'll have time to think about wild bird-proofing the outdoor run as the blighters are robbing me blind. I don't use my treadle feeder as it makes more mess attracting rodents than the grub I can take in at night.

Chores chores ....

I heard this on the news this morning, I believe the outbreak started in the Tarn, in France. I was thinking of you all, sage advice on here (better than the Today programme which said you were supposed to keep chickens indoors for 30 days :roll: ), and fingers firmly crossed this remains a precautionary measure.

As many people have said all over the Internet, it is better to be safe than have to cull your flock however small. Our garden is full of wild birds and the large house across the road has geese and ducks. I believe ducks are more at risk, but I am erring on the side of caution.

I had one of the new ladies lay a lash egg a few days ago and she has been down the last couple of days. No sneezing or anything but hoping I won't have to do a vet run as technically moving her isn't the legal thing to do at the moment.

Olly I'm sure you're correct but if you read the pdf referenced in the text (which was released today) it does say it applies to backyard poultry keepers too.

Yes, it does but (for example) we're not expected to disinfect our boots every time we enter the run. The biggest risk is with transfer of stock and high density stocking. As long as your birds are in a secure meshed run that can't be accessed by wild birds, and as long as the feed and water is also secure, you don't need to do much more. It says in the PDF that a tarpaulin will be sufficient covering as long as any gaps are netted.

Since free-range birds don't lose their status if they're kept indoors for 30 days I'm sure your hens will be fine Blackrocksrock. As long as they've got a square metre per bird that's enough. Most of us are unable to free-range our hens because of the fox risk.

Andy, if you haven't got a covered run just bung a tarp over the top - that's all it needs.

it's doesn't say in the PDF on the DEFRA site that backyard keepers don't have to use a disinfectant dip and it sates poultry keepers not just commercial poultry keepers

this is the link to the PDF

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/575276/captive-birds-biosecurity-inside-prevention-zone.pdf

anyone know which disinfectant we should look for please ?

We use Virkin for all the BHWT rehoming to disinfect the crates.

BHWT have had to postponed all rehomings for the next 30 days, too, which means ours is not happening this weekend. It will hit them hard with lack of donations. Better to be safe than sorry, though

What a faff, poor old birds. We had an old summer house i've been thinking about dismantling all summer, so I'm pleased my laziness won - I've moved the girls inside. Not sure what I would have done otherwise, their old run isn't big enough for full time with no free ranging. Hubby off to the farm to get a big bale of straw to entertain the girls.

After all my efforts to avoid wood and therefore red mite, we'll probably get that now!

If you listen to the interview with the Chief Veterinary Officer, Nigel Gibbins on R4 this morning he was saying very clearly that this is a precautionary measure - the biggest risk at the moment is from migrating birds which is why the initial 30 days has been chosen as most migration will be over by then. Backyard poultry keepers were mentioned in the interview, and he said it's about being sensible while having regard for the welfare of the hens - so don't shut them in a box, for example.

I will not be disinfecting my boots - the risk of anything being transferred is pretty low, and I'm not going to be visiting other poultry housing which is the main concern. My run is already covered, the food and water is well out of reach of any wild birds and I won't be letting them out of the run for the 30 day period. That's all - let's keep it in proportion, there is no outbreak in the UK and even if one does occur the chances that small flocks of garden chickens will be affected is minimal.