Luvachicken

I bought pretty babies yesterday !! Photos added.

After my long wait I finally got my new chicks yesterday :dance:

I couldn't decide whether to get 3 or 5 but chose 3 in the end.

They are 5 weeks old either today or tomorrow and are so diddy. They still cheep and are very friendly.

Yesterday we were busy sorting their part of the run and taking their photos and today has been busy in the garden and of course, giving the chicks cuddles, so I will try and do photos tomorrow (with my helper).

Edited by Guest

Yay! What breeds did you get?

More Pekins of course :wink:

Here they are WhatsApp%20Image%202017-05-31%20at%2020.43.26_zps1h5lbphk.jpeg

Lily is the lavender pekin, Milly is the one in the middle and Molly is on the right.

WhatsApp%20Image%202017-05-31%20at%2020.40.54_zpsvae6dicf.jpeg

Lily, Milly and then Molly, they love sitting on my son's arm.

WhatsApp%20Image%202017-05-30%20at%2012.45.03_zpszbyxtnxf.jpeg

All 3 of them having an afternoon nap down the side of the house.

WhatsApp%20Image%202017-05-29%20at%2014.16.38_zpsioe8i1dt.jpeg

Lily, she loves having her photo taken and is really friendly.

WhatsApp%20Image%202017-05-29%20at%2014.35.28_zpsmraiqmaf.jpeg

Molly - this photo and Lily on her own above were taken on my phone but Milly just wouldn't keep still for her portrait :roll:

I think they are soooo sweet.

I am a very proud chicken mummy :D

I knew you would all like them :D

They have been very busy in the wood chip today.

They still don't know where they go to bed - I find it really sweet popping them in still cheeping to each other.

Such well behaved babies unlike the big girls who had me up at 4.40 am today :shameonu: Mind you it was beautiful at that time - lovely and cool, no clouds and no traffic noise.

On another note, do chicks need grit ?

I love Milly in first photo, such a grumpy face :lol:

Chicks can have flint grint but not mixed/oystershell as they don't need the calcium.

If they're still on chick crumb (which they should be at 5 weeks) they shouldn't really need it.

I love Milly in first photo, such a grumpy face :lol:

I had to look again but you are right, she does look very grumpy.

No wonder I couldn't get her on my phone.

Chicks can have flint grint but not mixed/oystershell as they don't need the calcium.

I've got some really tiny grit that I've had for a long time but I've forgotten what kind of grit it was - possibly for budgies :?

Is that any good or should I take it away ?

If they're still on chick crumb (which they should be at 5 weeks) they shouldn't really need it.

They were on chick crumb - the breeder asked me if I had chick crumb but I said I had growers pellets so she gave me a bag of chick crumb and told me to mix half growers and half chick for a week then they should be able to have the growers pellets.

Do you think they are OK on this ?

My Pekin chicks have chick crumb until 8 weeks, then growers until around 18 weeks when they move onto layers.

If it's budgie grit it's likely to have calcium in so I'd take it out for a few weeks as it can have the opposite effect and affect bone growth.

Thanks Lewis :D

I've taken the grit out now.

Do you think I should give them back just the chick crumb then for the next few weeks - until they are 8 weeks old ?

Then start to swap the food to growers ?

I'm a bit confused because she is a well known chicken author - she could have easily told me to just get some more chick crumb :?

I use Smallholder feed, just checked their website which says Growers can be fed from 5-6 weeks so if they're already on them I wouldn't worry about going back to chick crumb.

Some other pellets (I know D&H used to be) are really big so smaller breeds would struggle with them.

I use Smallholder feed, just checked their website which says Growers can be fed from 5-6 weeks so if they're already on them I wouldn't worry about going back to chick crumb.

Some other pellets (I know D&H used to be) are really big so smaller breeds would struggle with them.

Thank you for that Lewis :D

I was getting a bit worried I was doing the wrong thing.

The chicks obviously feel a lot safer now and have started to realise what hands coming towards them means - so now they run away :roll: