chickencam

Breast cancer

A quick message to all of my Omlet friends, both male & female. Please check your breasts regularly for anything unusual.

Sadly I have to tell you that I have just been diagnosed with breast cancer this afternoon. I had a biopsy two weeks ago and they told me then that it was highly likely to be cancer so I've have had a while to get my head around it. I am having the lump removed on Friday then they will decide what other treatment I need. The surgeon did make me happy by saying that I am still young and they will throw the book at it and fully expect me to make old bones so onward and upwards

I only checked after watching a documentary about someone with breast cancer who only found hers after being nagged to check by a friend. I am now that nagging friend. Spread the word.

I intend to carry on as normally as possible. This tumour is getting its butt kicked.

oh my word. I don't know what to say. Yay that the doctor thinks its beatable.

Sending a whole stack of positive vibes, thoughts, prayers, and anything else positive I can fling in your direction.

Don't do too much. let people run around after you.

Lots of love

Cathy

x

I am so sorry to hear this - its particularly poignant as I have just driven 64 miles to the hospital today for my my yearly mammogram. This is year 6 ( and hope clear) so if I can do it you can do it. I was lucky not to require chemo, but had surgery and radiotherapy for 3 weeks, driving 64 miles there and same back every morning and back to my desk by 10.30am, and will have yearly mammograms for 10 years. The steriotactic biopsies and I had 3 were the worst so once you have had that done the surgery was easier.

It will be beatable and you can do this. Your attitude is the best and I wish you a good outcome from Fridays lumpectomy. Please rest though as that is important afterwards.

Oh Liz

I am so sorry to hear this, but it sounds as if you are in an excellent frame of fighting.... massive healing hugs to you.

I have always checked my breasts carefully as a friend of my age had it 20 years ago. Just recently, a different friend, again the same age, so mid-50s, had a bilateral mastectomy. After treatment, she is back at work and going for it.

The fact that you are looking at a lumpectomy is good news as they don't seem to think that it is aggressive or has spread.

Take care, and shout if you want a chat xx

So sorry to hear your news.

It sounds asthough you discovered your lump very early and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Just wanted to add that my mother in law and sister in law both live in Cheltenham and have recovered from breast cancer. They both received the most excellent care.

Good to hear your positive attitude.

Sending love and hugs. xx

Thanks everyone. I am really grateful that this is such a well funded area of the NHS. The treatment so far has been excellent. The longest wait was for the initial GP appointment which was 3 weeks.

I am otherwise in the best health that I have been in for years having lost nearly 2 stones in weight. I am also much fitter having walked everywhere for the past 9 months. Therefore I have a good platform to fight from. The lump is about 3cm and the surgeon is hoping to remove it all first time but did warn me that it is not uncommon to have a 2nd or 3rd surgery. It will very much depend on what she finds when she gets in there.

I am very fortunate to live only 1.5 miles away from the hospital unlike you Blackrocksrock 64 miles every day sounds awful. My dad had a 30 mile round trip every day for his radiotherapy. I thought that was bad enough!

I have lots of lovely people around so we will be fine.

My sister in law even commented on a similar post to this one on Facebook which surprised me because her and OH's brother are going through a very acrimonious divorce at the moment. I have only kept her as a friend so that we can see photos of our nephews & niece. Hopefully because she has a large friendship group that will spread the word further about the importance of self checking so something positive will come of it! Maybe she will also take a step back and realise that life and love are precious.

More positive vibes and virtual hugs from me! You have a great attitude and what sounds like a great surgeon! Quite honestly, I don't think the cancer stands a chance!!!!My mum had a mastectomy some years back and is doing absolutely fine; early detection is the key!

You are absolutley right; we should all be very much aware and keep checking! I had a reduction 6 years ago during which they found abnormal cells but, because of the scale of the reduction, its now difficult to self examine as its all lumpy and bumpy. NHS put me back onto 3 yearly mammos when I hit 50 so I 'top up' with one privately in between but will increase to yearly from next year.

Wishing you well; will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Hope all goes well chickencam. I had lumpectomy following mammogram and those previously mentioned biopsies. I had 3 weeks of radiotherapy and consider it gone. It is great you are in good health and positive as I think it makes a huge difference. I only told my very immediate family and two close friends once it was completed as I found it easier to get on with.I just didn't want the world and its granny to know my business. Rest as much as you can and eat healthy. If you go for radiotherapy and you can get there ask for as early appointments as possible. My appointments were mostly 7.30 am and I was in and out. As the day goes on they need to accommodate ward patients and patients who sadly take longer to get in and on to treatment table and backlog can be hour or more. I found McMillan online community very good for info. Keep strong.

Thank you for sharing that with me Grandmashazzie :D and glad to know that you are well.

I am feeling pretty confident, I was only moved to share because of the way that I discovered mine. I work in a close knit office of mainly women and we have been together for years and the out pouring of love and support has blown me away :D

Any advice on post surgery bras would be gratefully received. I am heading into town to M&S in a bit.

Not underwired,obviously. I am rather flat ang got those soft pull on things,cropped tops, in Sainsbury's .It kept dressing in place. I must have read,maybe on McMillan site about Sports bras. I got two but found them far too tight. I guess it also matters re comfort where surgery is,mine was to outer side. Lady next to me was more to the top of her breast and her old bras were fine. Get cotton two piece PJs for hospital. I was in January and bought new PJs which were winter range and far too hot.

So sorry to hear this, it's all we seem to hear time and time again!

I am another one who has been through this too, lumpectomy followed by 5 weeks of radiotherapy and then Tamoxifen...to be honest I think it was harder for my husband because I was busy getting on with work/treatment...I wanted to go to all the appointments/radiotherapy etc in my own, he was the one who was left not quite knowing what to do!

I didn't tell anyone including my kids until I started my radiotherapy and at that point I had answers to all the questions..I am sure you will find a way forward that works for you and I am sure you will be absolutely fine, it's about getting through each appointment individually...

Oh my, so sorry to hear your news but pleased to hear that you are getting sorted with surgery and treatment so quickly. Great to hear that your surgeon is so positive and you have a good support system around you.

One of my aunts had breast cancer in the 70's when a mastectomy was, I think, the norm. She was in her 40's at the time and although that was 40 years ago she is still going strong!

Sending loads of positive vibes your way xx

All the best Chickencam. Had biopsy last year and was clear. the unknown is the worrying part. Be good to yourself. I get very cross with patients who say mammograms are painful and they dont go. I know several women whose cancers were picked up on such a test. be good to yourself. Ali x

Thanks, not sure how much sleep I am going to get but probably more than tomorrow night. I sleep on my front and it was hard enough after the biopsy. I have been given loads of books, colouring books, puzzle books etc to keep me occupied for the few days afterwards. I still think that the hardest bit will be letting my OH & DS look after me this weekend. Thankfully both of them can cook so I won't starve :D

All crossed for you for today. Just to say sometimes they put in a guide wire before the op! Its done the same way as the biopsy. It is fine and you are left with this bit of wire sticking out like you were about to be connected to the mains! There were 3 of us having that done and we had a good laugh! Relax and let those boys help!

Edited by Guest

I am a bit late to this CC, and I am so sorry to hear your news, but my thoughts are with you. I admire your attitude, keep strong, we are all here for you. As another post-op distraction might either the radio or a talking book (you can get narration on the kindle as well I understand) help for those times you have no energy. Gosh, what a day.

Hello, just to let you know that I'm alive, head a bit woolly and dull ache elsewhere but otherwise ok. Here until about 7:45 then home. Boring and hungry wait this afternoon, got the feeling it was nearly deferred after problem with earlier patient. That would have upset me. Thanks for your concern xx