Luvachicken

Tennis Elbow

I went to the doctors yesterday for serious pain in my right elbow and the doctor said I have Tennis Elbow.

It's actually been hurting since the end of August, from pruning a bush that didn't want to be pruned, but I was hoping the pain would eventually go. It didn't and has got worse.

The doctor said to not use my arm :shock: and to give it a rest.

I'm really struggling with trying to do that, I am right handed.

I'm having some physio next week but just wondered if any of you have any advice on how not to use something that you use all of the time.

I had tennis elbow in both 6 years ago Luvachicken. Went to Physio perhaps 4 times, did the exercises (occasionally) and they settled down after a few months. There has been no repeat of the condition at all.

For serious pruning buy some Felco number 7's. The grip rotates as you squeeze the handles and takes a lot of the effort out. They were recommended by a professional friend and although expensive were definitely a great buy. We've been pruning here for several months and the only time either of us have had strain was when we weren't using the Felco7, just ordinary secateurs. For heavier stuff buy Fiscar's anvil loppers; they are geared and that takes out most of the effort.

I must admit I did think of a sling but I think I will wait until Monday and see if the physio lady can give my arm some kind of support thing.

Hopefully she will also be able to tell me whether I should be using my arm or not, as when I had my frozen shoulder they told me to keep using it.

Acupuncture also works well - I had it for frozen shoulder - best thing I did.

I had that for my frozen shoulder too after 6 weeks of physio which didn't work.

Sadly, the acupuncture didn't work either and unfortunately I got loads of bruises from it.

There was one she put in the podgy bit of your hand, when you put your thumb and first finger together, that was killing and sent such bad pain up my arm she had to take it out :shock:

Ouch! Hope you manage to get it eased by the physio. Frustrating with your shoulder too - is that any easier now?

My shoulder is a lot easier thank you, thanks to the operation that sorted it :D

There are still a few things I can't do with it, I'm sure it will never be the same as before I hurt it, but it is soooo much better and feels like my arm again, not just a thing hanging there.

Went to the physio today and she said to definitely rest it, so that means no swimming :( which I was trying to do to loose weight and get a bit fitter.

I am not allowed to stretch and grab either, so no kettles, milk bottles etc.

Today it had some kind of ultra sound on it, massage and stretching and then it got taped up.

It hurts quite a lot from what she has done, even down to my fingers :(

I should have gone sooner :shameonu:

Went to the physio today and she said to definitely rest it, so that means no swimming :( which I was trying to do to loose weight and get a bit fitter.

I am not allowed to stretch and grab either, so no kettles, milk bottles etc.

Today it had some kind of ultra sound on it, massage and stretching and then it got taped up.

It hurts quite a lot from what she has done, even down to my fingers :(

I should have gone sooner :shameonu:

The ultrasound thingy hurts no matter what! Had it on my ankle ages ago, but my fysio said: if it hurts, it's doing its job... great...

You don't need your arm for a nice walk! I have been walking since April/May and lost 17 kg. Try to do a brisk walk at least 4 times a week of about 45 min. Although this weather isn't helping a bit. :evil:

You don't need your arm for a nice walk! I have been walking since April/May and lost 17 kg. Try to do a brisk walk at least 4 times a week of about 45 min. Although this weather isn't helping a bit. :evil:

Walking makes my arm ache from where it hangs down :(

I could support it with a lovely scarf though :wink:

Have you tried a tens machine? OH has one for his frozen shoulder and it seems to help.

Anything is worth a try :D

I will look into it.

Aargh, can't seem to get my bits of writing in the right places :evil: , sorry mullethunter.

So today, I went to see the consultant to get the results of the MRI scan and he said that there was nothing abnormal on it :-D

It even showed part of my brain, so I was pleased that I have the proof that I have one :lol:

He said I should carry on with the physio and that I could have some kind of strapping system ( can't remember what he called it now )

He also said I can use my arm but just for short amounts and to see him again in 3 months time.

Quite pleased really but just bothered by the fact it can take a long time to heal.