The Dogmother

Motion dizziness after being in a boat

Sorry you're not feeling 100%, DM. How long ago was the boat trip? Was it choppy? I've had similar on the odd occasion - also brought on by a long (3hr +) car trip. As well as the lightheadedness it's also felt a little 'away with the fairies' (not really anything new there then ;)) like a sense of dislcoation from things. It usually just lasts half an hour or so.

Hope you are soon recovered.

Have had it everytime I took the ferry to Harwich and back. Especially being in the bathroom while at sea triggers it. Standing in any bathroom will put me back on the boat for a few days after. But it does go away after a day or two with me.

:(

OH used to be immune to roller coasters etc.  Now he has to take tablets for all things apart from travelling in a car!  Might be age related as Patsylab says it does do weird stuff.  I was prescribed Stugeron tablets for dizziness - until it was accepted that the blood pressure tablets were to high a dose so I never needed to use them - turns out they are the same things for motion sickness - exactly the same - so was put to good use in Scotland for sea trips for OH.  I think his motion sickness is age related.  

On 6/7/2018 at 7:19 AM, patsylabrador said:

As it's new to you could it be menopause related? That does some weird stuff to the body and random dizziness has been my main problem. 

Not sure, but I doubt it as I've been menopausal, with patches, for the last 10 years and not had this before

Perhaps I need some of the dogs' Thornits Ear Powder!

I have only had travel sickness a few times - on a boat going to Calais in the 1980's - it was winter so choppy. The other times were on coaches in Spain. 

I dont like travel sick pills they make me drowsy and unco-ordinated (more than the menopause does LOL) . Last time was on the coach to the airport. I descreetly voimited into a bag I found in my handbag and when the coach stopped I bolted off the coach like Mo Farrah. The holiday rep said " are you felling better now" I was mortified:x, the time before was on a coach and ES was 2 and being potty trained. I grabbed his potty and yes you've guessed threw up in it. A cross little voice said " you've been sick in my potty" The lady opposite smiled and hissed " are you feeling better?" Oh the embarassment. Going to Spain this year think I will see GP and try and get something before I go. 

You have my sympathy Clare but dont know what to suggest. 

If it lasts longer than a week I'd go and see my GP in case it's an inner ear thing.

I love being on boats and I've only had mal-de-mer three times; once crossing to Ireland from Holyhead when it was very rough, once on a glass bottom boat in Florida and once on a coach in the Dominican Republic. I never actually vomited and it stopped as soon as I put my feet on the ground. I sometimes get the moving sensation in bed if I've been on a long train journey but it never lasts very long.

As a sailor I can tell you what you are feeling is perfectly normal. It always takes me a few days to get my sea legs under me. It's like even when you are standing still everything seems to be moving, even ever so slightly, around you.

Many people have said they have success with using just one ear plug, it can help even out the inner ear pressure which help reduce the dizziness and nausea associated with motion sickness. I've never tried it, but I have used the wrist bands on a cruise and those worked for me.