kambro

hurricane is coming. How do I prepare coop?

I don't suppose many of us have had to face a hurricane before so I'm not sure we can advise from a position of experience, but I can't imagine a Cube standing up to one.  If the birds were mine I would take the Cube off its stand/wheels and put it into a garage or other strong outbuilding.    If that is impossible, then I would probably put the birds into my house in cat carriers or cardboard boxes in the worst case scenario.  I  would not have the Cube near trees as they are quite easily uprooted.  I hear that very heavy rainfall will be another issue, so that is something else to factor in.  

Ditto Daphne's answer; I would bring them in/into an outbuilding. The coop as well, or it will blow away.

Hope that you all keep safe and it's not as bad as anticipated

This reminds me of those terrible floods we had about 10 years ago, when Martin (a junior member back then) was flooded in their house and had put the eglus, with chooks inside, up on the roof of his shed. Emergency measures!

Edited by The Dogmother
Thought of summat else

I agree.   Bring them into a solid building which can withstand the hurricane force.  I have a vague memory that one of the members from Scotland send us a picture of her cube which had blown over in high winds there.  I seem to remember it twisted the run and went flying.  It was kept on an allotment so the winds just took it.   And those winds would be a lot less than the ones you are forecast.  

Thinking of you x

We don't have a basement (most homes here don't).  We have a large covered back porch which could provide some shelter.  I'm thinking of moving them under there up against the house so the house could block some wind.

Please pray for all of us here.  It's headed directly toward us (South Carolina).  

We found a better place: moving the whole coop with run inside a detached garage. I will do this just before the storm hits. The local news published a story for hurricane prep for chickens. Hope it’s allowed that I share it here. https://www.wltx.com/article/weather/hurricanes/hurricane-florence/how-to-prepare-chickens-for-a-hurricane-dont-just-wing-it/101-593489761

• Like 1

The storm is moving very slowly.  The eye has not yet reached us and still hoping for the best.  Power has been off and on.  We are now waiting it out with a light steady rain.  There is flooding north of us.  The chickens are very unhappy in the garage.  Thanks for checking.  Hope to update with an all clear after it passes us.  It sounds like it will not end for another 1-2 days.

• Confused 1