Roksteddie

Cream Legbar vs Aracauna

So I'm after a blue egg layer to add to my new flock next year - I've gone for the Skyline/columbine hybrid in the past and both ended up with pale, beige eggs. So I'm turning my attention to pure breeds. Which of the two mentioned is more prolific in terms of egg production? I seem to keep coming up with conflicting bits of info on the web. I've only ever had hybrids before... so will both the CLB and aracauna take roughly the same length of break from laying during winter? Does one go broody more than the other? Any input would be much appreciated.

I can only tell you of CLB's Roksteddie; we've never had Aracauna's. As with any pedigree, after their first Winter they will moult and take a break. If I had to give a number for eggs perhaps 120- 150 in a year. The colour varies from sky blue to green blue, although I have heard of eggs that were nearly white and saw white eggs being sold at auction as CLB's. A very flighty breed with a good nature generally, although we had one that got a taste for feathers. Size can vary a lot depending on the breed line, so see the parents. I'd prefer to hatch, as then you can see the inherent egg colour. We never had one go broody, so in that respect they are as Leghorns; one of the breeds they are derived from.

• Like 1

We've kept both and I'd say Cream Legbars are more productive layers but they'll both take a similar break over Winter. In my experience Araucana lay green and CLB lay blue eggs. They're both quite flighty breeds but will settle down as they start laying and fill out a bit. Another plus size is CLB are autosexing so if you buy young birds you know they will be female.
They aren't typically broody but we came back from holiday once to a very broody Cream Legbar

We've had Cream Legbars in our flock for about 10 years and I'm sure we always will do.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, AndyRoo said:

My CLB has never been the most productive, and she lays pale blue eggs. In my experience they are very flighty, and they will absolutely *scream* and flap about endlessly if you try to pet them.

hmmm... that doesn't sound good... i'm not sure my neighbours will appreciate a screaming banshee! 

1 hour ago, Roksteddie said:

hmmm... that doesn't sound good... i'm not sure my neighbours will appreciate a screaming banshee! 

I'm only referring to if you try and hold her. She's no noisier than the others provided she is left alone.

Some breeds of birds are quite flighty, and of all the girls in my flock, she is the worst... but, like I said, that's only if you try and pick her up. Most of the hens I have are quite docile - and none of them are noisy as a general rule.

Edited by AndyRoo

I have araucanas.... very good, reliable layers, take a break from laying in the winter, very hardy and healthy, rarely broody. Mine lay dug-egg-blue eggs. They are mad as heck though, even after they've started to lay, not particularly bright and don't much like being held. I only had one CLB, and she was similar.

What I do like are Blue Angels; a araucana/white leghorn hybrid from Cotswold Chickens. They are sightly built, white with grey/black splodges and 90% of them (be led by earlobe colour) will lay a large pale turquoise egg. Still mad though. :roll:

11 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

I have araucanas.... very good, reliable layers, take a break from laying in the winter, very hardy and healthy, rarely broody. Mine lay dug-egg-blue eggs. They are mad as heck though, even after they've started to lay, not particularly bright and don't much like being held. I only had one CLB, and she was similar.

What I do like are Blue Angels; a araucana/white leghorn hybrid from Cotswold Chickens. They are sightly built, white with grey/black splodges and 90% of them (be led by earlobe colour) will lay a large pale turquoise egg. Still mad though. :roll:

I like the sound of the Blue Angels, but Cotswold Chickens are too far away from me. And knowing my luck I'd be in the 10% that didn't lay blue. But I definitely would prefer a guaranteed blue egg layer hybrid.... the Chalkhill Blue is meant to be a blue egg layer but I'm not sure on percentages etc...

Edited by Roksteddie

1 hour ago, mullethunter said:

Do we have Easter Eggers in the UK?

Yep, but they're not sold as Easter Eggers.

42 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

Easter eggers are another Araucana cross hybrid, this time crossed with a brown egg layer. I am no expert on genetics (leave that to my daughter) but some lay greenish eggs, some blue, some an apricot colour. Again, the egg colour of each hen can't be guaranteed unless they have already started to lay.

Having said what I just said, there's a place near here who I have just discovered do their own strain in which (supposedly) 90 - 95% of the birds will lay either blue or green eggs. I'd love to get one of the 'true' EEs, though. 

I know there were some breeders in the U.S. working on a project to develop a strain that laid pastel pink eggs. Last I read about it they were doing quite well.

4 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

Some Marans/Marans crosses lay a plum-beige colour egg

I'd love to get a really dark egg layer, but I've always found them to be a real problem to get hold of round here.

When the time comes to start replacing my flock, I'd quite like to get a black Orpington too. I think they're really sweet.

I'd love one of these babies, but apparently they can be quite aggressive - and they also sell for around £2,000! I'd want their eggs to significantly increase my lifespan for that kind of money!! lol https://www.wideopenpets.com/this-rare-indonesian-chicken-is-completely-black/

37 minutes ago, AndyRoo said:

I'd love to get a really dark egg layer, but I've always found them to be a real problem to get hold of round here.

When the time comes to start replacing my flock, I'd quite like to get a black Orpington too. I think they're really sweet.

I'd love one of these babies, but apparently they can be quite aggressive - and they also sell for around £2,000! I'd want their eggs to significantly increase my lifespan for that kind of money!! lol https://www.wideopenpets.com/this-rare-indonesian-chicken-is-completely-black/

Oh Andy - the chick is sweet but the adult looks REALLY scary!!! 😲

Edited by SeramaSilly
Oops
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, AndyRoo said:

Wow, the adults look like they should be garden ornaments, they are very impressive.

I do love the chicks though.

30 minutes ago, SeramaSilly said:

Oh Andy - the chick is sweet but the adult looks REALLY scary!!! 😲

24 minutes ago, Luvachicken said:

Wow, the adults look like they should be garden ornaments, they are very impressive.

I do love the chicks though.

They look lovely, the result of a genetic mutation. They're very rare, hence the astronomical cost of them. I'd kill to get hold of some to breed them - if only to make them less rare! I think I also read that they could be quite aggressive as they traditionally came from fighting breeds - but I may be confusing them with something else.

Supposedly their mutation even extends to their blood which is also black!