Hippie Chick

First Egg of 2019!

I think the warm weather is messing things up here in Yorkshire.  My roses are still in flower and today I opened the chicken coop up to clean it and found an egg!  I confirmed it was from Brunhilde my Bluebelle girl when she squatted for me, so I gave her a bit of a cuddle for her efforts ❤️

I wonder if she'll stop laying when the weather turns cold again?  

Edited by Hippie Chick

Our eldest bay chock is pinking up now so hoping for eggs soon.  One of the others with very little comb adopts a crouching stance with wings out when we take her out of the coop for night-time cuddles.  Hoping for an egg sokn🤞  We don’t have a lot of luck with eggs.  We’ve had two chicken over the years that never laid a useable egg and one who only ever laid huge double yolees twice a day and got a prolapse very young 

3 hours ago, AndyRoo said:

Our White Star gave us the first of her eggs in nearly a month today, so that was nice.

I think my hybrids are all about middle-aged now (nearly 3 years), so I'm expecting them to start dropping off fairly soon. Though obviously I hope they don't.

Retiree chickens are less hormonal and more per like.   I preferred our chickens that didn’t lay.  They were alway up for cuddles and more pet-like.  One used to sneak into the house for snuggles on the sofa with my then toddlers or sit on the coffee table to be with them until I’d catch and evict her (daily!)

We had no eggs for months which was very annoying especially after we got 5 new ex batts. Sadly one died about a month ago and since then from our 10 remaining girls we are getting 6 per day. I am guessing she was an egg eater although we checked for eggshells and damp nesting sawdust and never found any. So back to quiches, buns , frittata and cake.

• Like 1

My lot all moulted heavily last year and I had the first egg of the new season just before Christmas. The twins are laying again and I get one or two eggs a day at the moment, the others will start once the weather picks up.

The factors which trigger laying are multiple; more daylight enables them to eat more, so they get enough nutrition to make eggs. Very cold weather takes up valuable energy and calories to keep warm, so will inhibit laying. Keep them warm and happy, add a good quality poultry tonic (such as Vit Boost) to their water and they will start to lay when they are ready.

23 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

The factors which trigger laying are multiple; more daylight enables them to eat more, so they get enough nutrition to make eggs. Very cold weather takes up valuable energy and calories to keep warm, so will inhibit laying. 

That does make a lot of sense 😊