Alis girls

Central Amsterdam

It's a while ago since we went but we loved 'Kantjil and the Tiger' but not sure if that's spelled right! We found lots of Indonesian/Oriental type foods...which this place sort of is.....due to the influence of the Dutch East India Company - apparently. I'm sure that Cat Tails will groan and correct me (sorry CT!) but many places do what they call a ristaffel....basically 'rice table' like a Dutch/Indonesian tapas?Trip Advisor is our 'go to' when in a strange place and looking for food!

It's a wonderful city; the Rikesmuseum (again, appols to CT for spelling :$) is just amazing - not sure if you'll be that little bit too early for a trip out to the nearby bulb fields? If not then do go....just amazing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soapdragon said:

It's a while ago since we went but we loved 'Kantjil and the Tiger' but not sure if that's spelled right! We found lots of Indonesian/Oriental type foods...which this place sort of is.....due to the influence of the Dutch East India Company - apparently. I'm sure that Cat Tails will groan and correct me (sorry CT!) but many places do what they call a ristaffel....basically 'rice table' like a Dutch/Indonesian tapas?Trip Advisor is our 'go to' when in a strange place and looking for food!

It's a wonderful city; the Rikesmuseum (again, appols to CT for spelling :$) is just amazing - not sure if you'll be that little bit too early for a trip out to the nearby bulb fields? If not then do go....just amazing!

Yes a rijsttafel is a thing, but can really depend on the restaurant if it is any good. Be aware as it will sometimes be cheaper (and give you more food for your money) to order just a few separate dishes. Have been to a lovely Korean restaurant in Amsterdam a few years ago, but really can’t remember the name.... ☹️

LOVE the Rijksmuseum. It can be incredibly busy, but it is just a wonderful museum with so much great art of all sorts. Personally I don’t really care for the Van Gogh or the house of Anne Frank. Almost all museums in Netherlands have an entrance fee, and often it can be a steep price too. Most do offer to buy tickets online, which is sometimes a few euros cheaper.

There will be some bulb fields by then, but probably not yet the tulip fields.

You’ll be better off to avoid most restaurants in high streets or on high pedestrian traffic places. But the small back streets have loads of  smaller restaurants and cafes. 

:lol:

and you know what? It’s absolutely not my favourite city.... :wink: I’ve only really visited Amsterdam on school trips, trying to keep around 90 kids in order... if anyone is considering going to the Rijks, see if you can get a guided tour. I’ve met the best tour guides there, who are able to keep the interest of 15 phone addicted teens!

Anyone looking for a more modern and less touristy city, then I can really recommend Rotterdam! I could give you a whole list of restaurants there!

Your view of Amsterdam is a bit like mine of London!  Having commuted and worked there for many years, I now only venture in sporadically for the cultural life.  Sorry patsylabrador...... and other Londoners...  I’ve become a country bumpkin, although I absolutely love Oxford with the Ashmolean, etc etc And Oxford is only 15 mins for me on the bus! 

Edited by Patricia W

thank you will google these and see what they say. I knew Omleteers would come up trumps. I last went in the 80's when young free and single. Ate in an Argentinian restaurant not aware the Falklands war had started. 

Now I am oldish married and cost a lot to feed.😂

16 hours ago, Patricia W said:

Your view of Amsterdam is a bit like mine of London!  Having commuted and worked there for many years, I now only venture in sporadically for the cultural life.  Sorry patsylabrador...... and other Londoners...  I’ve become a country bumpkin, although I absolutely love Oxford with the Ashmolean, etc etc And Oxford is only 15 mins for me on the bus! 

That's alright. London is definitely made of marmite! 💖

• Thanks 1

My tis chilly here. Having downsized to a lighter coat I am no longer having hot sweats! Well finally found Anne Frank house having been online at silly o clock this morning and nothing doing ticket wise. 

How was I to know you apply 2months before going. Wandered off to get a drink. Decided against coffee and hash. Wandered into another place where we stood out a tad, a bar with young couples.  Retreated quickly. 

Had a nice meal. Now tired poorer happy. 

7 minutes ago, Alis girls said:

My tis chilly here. Having downsized to a lighter coat I am no longer having hot sweats! Well finally found Anne Frank house having been online at silly o clock this morning and nothing doing ticket wise. 

How was I to know you apply 2months before going. Wandered off to get a drink. Decided against coffee and hash. Wandered into another place where we stood out a tad, a bar with young couples.  Retreated quickly. 

Had a nice meal. Now tired poorer happy. 

That’s new... you used to be able to queue, but the queues got crazy sometimes...

I have been a few times, but personally I really don’t like it. Mostly because of the amount of people in the tiny space and you really can’t be to big to even fit through the staircase.

The Rijksmuseum is worth it though!