Purplemaniacs

End of an era

After just over 11 years tonight is the first time that I have not had a chook to shut up. 

Our last little bantam died during last night, when I went to let her out this morning, there was no gentle quiet clucking and she didn't come trotting out as normal. 

She was the last one, I hatched her from eggs from Redwing over 7 years ago a little Welsummer bantam. She out lived all the others and quite a lot of hybrids too. 

I had intended to get some more to keep her company a few weeks ago but a neighbour who moved in about a year ago complained that my chickens were keeping him awake and he'd been woken up at 3.00 every morning and hadn't slept for over three months. He had also complained about the cockerel last year but shortly after that the cockerel passed away.  He really upset me by the way he complained in front of granddaughter leering over garden fence at 8.00 in the morning as I was doing the school run. Granddaughter cried all the way to school because she didn't want our chicken killed so it wouldn't make a noise. I was all for moving but as we have spent lots on the house doing up the kitchen, bathroom and ensuite over the last year or so my OH said no. 

Immediate response by OH and DD to the loss of the chicken was you must get some more. I would love some more I've missed eggs and the funny goings on of chooks but am very worried about the neighbour. 

I was scared of him coming around to have another go and it brought back all the memories of being burgled and being worried of them or others coming back. It's been a difficult few weeks. Stupid really over a lovely little chicken. 

• Sad 1

I am sorry to hear about your last little girl, but you know she lived a very long and happy life, which is testament to your chicken keeping skills, I have never had a chicken live so long, so well done you😀

If you want more chicken then I would just go ahead and get some.  I know cockerals are noisy and I wouldn't advocate getting one when unhappy neighbours are involved.  But although hens obviously do make some noise, they do not wake up the neighbourhood at 3am, especially not in Spring.  Many people do not have uninterrupted nights sleep, and blaming hens is just OTT.  I once had neighbour issues myself and went through a period of being upset and angry with the person concerned.  It turned out he had his own work related issues, and months after the event he made a point of coming to me and apologising for his behaviour.  We are now good friends.  I am not suggesting this may happen for you, but I do think that one human being does not have the right to upset another over something which is just part and parcel of life.   At the moment I do not have any animals, and I miss them terribly.  Apart from anything else, I think chicken help with well being and taking life gently, they encourage us to stop, look and listen, and I firmly believe that's good for the soul.  You make the choices you want to, and don't let your neighbour make them for you.

I’m with Daphne. Do what makes YOU happy.  Yes, I’ve had a Cockerel crow at silly o clock, so don’t get one.  But a few chickens for eggs and cuddles are another matter.  Can you get other neighbours on side?  I bet this grumpy neighbour has upset others.  Don’t let him get you down.    

Edited by Patricia W

It’s not stupid - most of us feel like this when our die - like any loved pet they worm their way into your heart and become part of the family.

I agree with what others have said. Most hens really aren’t that noisy and certainly wouldn’t keep people awake from 3am every morning. If you want a new little gang then get one for you and you family xx

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, but please don't let that odious bully stop you from getting more hens. I think he is being unreasonable - I sleep with my windows open, but can never hear my flock, and the araucanas can be quite gobby!

Please don't allow him to let you feel bad - don't even give him permission. If he does it again, give me a shout and I'll be over to have  a little word :wink: I don't like bullies.

Let me know if you want some newbies and I can meet you at the Cotswold Chickens yard, and make sure that you get some real beauties.

I'm sorry too, to read about your last remaining girl and the fact you have a horrible neighbour. Pets make a big impact on our lives especially when you have had one for so long so please don't feel that it is stupid.

I agree with the others that chickens are not awake at 3am. I have some of the gobbiest girls during the day and they are never awake at 3am, even in the summer.

Have a drive out and get some new girls.

I'd let DM loose!  Like you I lost the last of my old'uns last year, having to dispatch Squirt which broke my heart.  But I'm never giving up on chickens and have more.  The only thing I asked the neighbours about was a cockerel - and was given a thumbs up by both - then they aren't close.  I don't see how chickens kick up a fuss that early in the morning - 5 maybe.  Trigger is set off by either the crows or the dairy farm - and that machinery does make more noise than the chickens!

If you want a break then fair enough - but if you want chickens don't let a twit dictate to you.  Let him be the one that moves if he doesn't like it!  Or as I said at the beginning - let DM loose on him!:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1