The Dogmother

Aubiose - new product for chickens

I was at The National today, and caught up with the lovely ladies from Aubiose, who were selling a new chicken version of the original equine product...... Aubichick

It has finer 'shreds' and softer too, I got a sample and they are sending me some bales to trial and review, so I will post comparison photos to give an idea of the texture.

It comes in 20kg bales, which they were selling at the show for £7, but numpty here forgot to ask the retail price!

I guess that it should compost even better too.

20191201_164721.jpg

20191201_164731.jpg

• Like 1

I used aubiose once (and once only) for chicks and it cut their feet to pieces; blood everywhere! The ends of the pieces are very sharp and get under young flexible scales, tearing them off. They did look funny with bandages on their toes though, although it was a very fiddly job putting them on.

6 hours ago, soapdragon said:

Ahhhh, I had no idea it was good for hamsters, DM! Our two love to burrow so I make sure that they have an extra thick layer of sawdust. Would they be better off with Aubiose - either the bog standard or the new one? I'll need to top up fairly soon so am sure I can hunt some down nearby.

I use a hemp bedding for my gerbil as it is said to be less dusty. Can't really tell te difference myself, but the little lad likes it anyway.

We use Aubiose in the housing and walk in run, never had it cut any birds feet.

Aubichick has been around for years (since when I was more involved in poultry retail stuff) but I've not seen it available near us for ages so be good if they're making it more available.

9 hours ago, Beantree said:

I used aubiose once (and once only) for chicks and it cut their feet to pieces; blood everywhere! The ends of the pieces are very sharp and get under young flexible scales, tearing them off. They did look funny with bandages on their toes though, although it was a very fiddly job putting them on.

Sorry to hear that - never had a problem with that TBH, nor at the poultry yards that i visit, which also use it. The new one is softer, so you may find it suits you better.

We’ve used it both in the WIR and in the cube and quickly went back to the ordinary Aubiose.

We found Aubichick was too fine and stuck to literally everything. The hens got covered in it, all our clothing had it on whenever we went near it, it clung to our shoes and it stuck to the eggs in the nest as well. It was like having permanent static!

Because it was so fine and ‘sticky’, it was impossible to not bring it into the house even if we were careful. This meant everywhere around our back door was ‘dusty’. Not surprisingly this got on our nerves quite quickly and we were so happy when we used up the bale and were able to return to the usual Aubiose. We’ve never had problems with that.

The only positive was that it was a little bit cheaper than the ordinary stuff, but the lack of dust and inconvenience makes it worth paying extra!