AndyRoo

Pet Frogs

Hello all,

I've bought myself some pet red-eyed tree frogs which will arrive in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering if anyone else has ever kept them as pets?

I wanted to know if you used a fogger or a misting system to keep them happy and humid? Any recommendations?

TTFN,

Andy

3 hours ago, Willow said:

No helpful advice, just a wow I had no idea these could be kept as pets they look amazing

Yeah... they're such pretty animals! They don't do a whole lot in the day, because they're nocturnal, but they're relatively easy to keep.

I'd like to get some dart frogs too, but I am animal obsessed. I'd have every single pet I could if I had my way. My other half does not like it. :/ lol 

7 hours ago, soapdragon said:

IWANTONE!!!!!!!!! Beautiful colours, Andy, and I love their great big toes. Has t'other half come round yet😉?

Haha. Rich does quite like them, although he's a bigger fan of blue poisoned dart frogs (which aren't poisonous at all in captivity). Which I admit do look lovely, especially when kept in larger groups. We're not getting any though!

You can handle them... although it's advised you don't. First because you don't know if they're just suddenly going to leap and break their fragile bones and, also, they have very sensitive skin, and you can also transfer chemicals that can harm them which they absorb through their skin - from soap if you've recently washed your hands etc. If you do hold them, it's advised to use smooth gloves and dampen them slightly. To be honest, I just avoid it altogether.

Goodness - they are delicate little things then! I will have to put aside my mental pic of you watching the tellie with a little frog on your head (vivid imagination; must have been the cheese sandwich for lunch!!) I hadn't thought about the sudden leaps (which is obvious really - doh!) and didn't realise how fragile their skin is. They look a bit Gollum like but prettier!

• Haha 2

On 1/11/2021 at 2:04 PM, soapdragon said:

Goodness - they are delicate little things then! I will have to put aside my mental pic of you watching the tellie with a little frog on your head (vivid imagination; must have been the cheese sandwich for lunch!!) I hadn't thought about the sudden leaps (which is obvious really - doh!) and didn't realise how fragile their skin is. They look a bit Gollum like but prettier!

They can be quite fragile, that's for sure. I'm not sure I'd have likened them to Gollum, but I see where you're going. I'm actually going to be completely redecorating the tank soon so it has a natural background and better plants and vines and all sorts, so I'll post some more pictures once that is done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AndyRoo said:

They can be quite fragile, that's for sure. I'm not sure I'd have likened them to Gollum, but I see where you're going. I'm actually going to be completely redecorating the tank soon so it has a natural background and better plants and vines and all sorts, so I'll post some more pictures once that is done.

Re; Gollum...I meant with the wide apart eyes, lack of hair and the large 'hands' - sorry, didn't mean to diss your froggies🤐!!!!! Very much looking forward to seeing the pics of your new set up!

• Haha 1

Amazing job AndyRoo. I'm very impressed.

Reminds me of a visit to a flat in Stoke-on-Trent to buy something off Preloved. Place was immaculate, with a very big glass 'coffee table' in the middle of the room. On closer inspection it was  actually glass tank, with a Monitor Lizard in it! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We have a chameleon named Opie.  He has lovely colours and likes to sit on my hair. Unfortunately I don’t seem to be able to add a photo of him.  I’d love you all to see him.  Sometimes he’s a bright red, other times he’s green and blue.  Amazing!   

• Like 3