Lewis

Fridge Freezer question...

I'm in the process of buying a house and so looking at fridge freezers as I have a 'standard' ~60cm gap and obvious place to put it.
I have two questions:

The gap is in a corner on the left of my kitchen cupboards, with a wall to the left. Most fridge freezers are right hinged, a limited number are left hinged (open against the wall), so would would that make more sense or am I over thinking?

At home I use our built in ice dispenser multiple times a day. I coped without one for 8 years at uni but would you pay more for an ice dispenser (and the plumber to install it)?

Wonderful to buying a house exciting - Congratulations.    I would get the one which opens on to the wall as that would be much easier and no I would not pay for ice dispenser and the plumber to fit it but I dont use ice much and will depend where the water supply is coming from, whether far from the space or not.   If you use it loads it would probably be worth it for you.

Congratulations Lewis, good timing with stamp duty as well!

Our fridge is in same place as yours, and hinges on right hand side.  It has never been an issue (never given it a 2nd thought) as long as you have enough room to comfortably walk past the fridge when the door is open.  Never had an ice dispenser, so it wouldn't be of interest to me or to pay to have one installed.

Congrats on the new house! I get your thinking but, as you are only opening the door when needed rather than leaving it open, would it be an issue? That said, it's your kitchen and I guess it depends on how much you are going to use it........if you are a keen cook it may well drive you mad but only you will know that! As for the ice thing......depends on how much more it will cost. I should imagine that there are umpteen other things that you could spend the money on that might make more of a difference to you in a new home?! If you have coped without for 8 years maybe you have pre empted your own question 😉!

Get one with two pumps which puts the freezer on the bottom and gives easier access to the fridge at the top. Cheap units cool the fridge by putting the freezer above it and letting the cold air drop down. Shouldn't be too difficult to plumb in a water supply as the cold will come from the sink tap. Our fridge door is reversible and has been changed to suit where we lived at the time, because walking around the door becomes a real pain in time.

Thanks all! Very exciting, it's a new build in between our two practices so will be handy for work and is 50m from the canal so great for dog walks.

I assumed most doors were reversible but doesn't seem to be the case so will get a left hinge. I love the look of Smeg fridges but they're silly money so that might have to wait a few years

Congratulations on the new home Lewis, very exciting 

I love our filtered water & ice dispenser (at least I did until it stopped dispensing ice recently) downside is they take up quite a bit of freezer space.

i'll be buying next fridge freezer with an ice dispenser but we do have extra freezer space in the garage.

I wouldn’t worry too much about which way the doors open, there should be plenty of space either way.

If you want a fridge with an ice/water dispenser, I would get one that is permanently plumbed into the mains. You will get bored of filling up the tank otherwise!