The Dogmother

Peritonitis - poor Sadie

Sexy Sadie, one of my original chooks has been looking a bit under the weather of late, nothing obvious, just not well. This morning I noticed that she was walking a bit like John Wayne (one sign of peritonitis or tummy troubles) and decided to catch her for an investigation when I wasn't wearing my smart work clothes.

This evening, she was hunched up, panting for breath and on inspection her abdomen was hard as a rock and full of fluid. Luckily I managed to get her to my lovely chicken vet before she pegged it.

He has drained off an impressive amount of fluid from her tum (and she's still leaking more now), gave her jabs of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory and she looks a lot better now. He reckons that she'd have been dead very quickly if I hadn't got here there right then. Her comb was dark blue and she was very close to arrest... what happens with this is that the fluid builds up (if not treated) and puts pressure on the lungs and heart, much like congestive heart disease.

She's now indoors, tucked up in a pet carrier with some corn, water with Avipro and a deep bed of Aubiose to absorb all the liquid that is still oozing out. I am taking her back tomorrow night for a check-up.

She still might not make it, but she looks a lot more comfortable now.

So sorry to hear Sadie is unwell but a good job you acted so quickly Clare! :shock:

I do hope she manages to pull through. Positive vibes coming your way!

Keep us posted on her progress.

Spog was unwell a week or so ago with something similar and im currently nursing Rhubarb through an infection of some sort - it can be very worrying this chicken keeping marlarky :?

At the moment, the peritonitis is still sterile (no infection), so there's a chance... unless she fills up again really quickly, then there really isn't much hope.

TBH, when I got her there, her comb was going so blue that I asked Clive whether it was worth treating her at all.

She's a bonny lass and only last year was still running about, all athletic-like. Here's a picture of her when she was younger:

http://club.omlet.co.uk/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=6761

Quick update - she went to sleep last night, in her basket in the living room. She was still leaking fluid from the puncture site, so I put some newspaper and loads of Aubiose in the bottom of the carrier, plus food and water. She had some corn to eat and did a big solid poo (an improvement on the runny stuff she was passing last night).

This morning she looks well, bright eyes, comb back to red, no temperature, standing quietly and most important of all, her tummy feels normal.

I have left her indoors this morning, but will put her, in the pet basket, out in the run with her mates at lunchtime - it's such a lovely day and I'm sure she'd like some company.

Back to see Clive tonight, will keep you posted. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that she won't get it again and fill back up.

Another update (can you tell that I'm concerned? :oops: ) she's outside, in her carrier, in the run so that she can see the others. Sadie has been eating and drinking, no temperature and her tummy feels normal. She's a bit on the scrawny side, but that's probably because she didn't eat much when her tummy was swollen and sore.

So far as I can see, she will be OK to go back out with the other tomorrow. We will see what Clive says at her check up tonight. I suspect that she will have another anti-b jab and then be discharged :D

The naughty vet was telling me about his emu chicks, says they're all cute and stripey.... he also had an incubator full of pipping eggs of various breeds of chook.... :? Given the chance, I'd have stayed there all night watching them hatch! :roll: