The Dogmother

Peritonitis - poor Sadie

Well, she had her visit to the vet and he was very happy with how she is doing. She had another jab, one each of anti-b and anti-inflammatory and I have two more days worth of these in syringes to inject her with tomorrow and Saturday.

Clive says that he thinks it's not 'true peritonitis', but that the fluid build up may be caused by a problem with her liver, or something more sinister like cancer. The only way to accurately diagnose this would be to take a sample of the fluid if she fills up again and test it to see. This would cost £10-£15 to do, and if she does get poorly again, then we need to look at her long term prognosis and decide if it is worth continuing to treat her.

She had a lovely supper of porridge when we got home and is now out with the others again - I will keep an eagle eye on her for any signs of deterioration.

What with that and a bunny with flakey ears, the vet has seen most of my budget for this month :roll:

Well, not good news I;m afraid, her tummy is filling up again. She is still sprightly at the moment, but will slow down again as it gets fuller. She has an appointment to see the vet on Tuesday night; I'm hoping that she can last that long, but the prognosis isn't good - I won't kep putting her through this as she's a lovely girl who has never been any trouble, she deserves a quiet and dignified end without pain or discomfort.

It would have been easier if it were egg peritonitis, but the vet thinks that it's something to do with her liver or even cancer. I could take her back every week to be drained, and keep injecting her, but it isn't fair on her to do that. I'd rather that she just fell asleep in my arms :(

I am so, so sorry to hear about Sadie :( I do hope that she pulls through :pray: How old is she?

She's nearly 4 Paola - one of my first girls. The last one left in fact.

Off we trundled to the vet this evening, with Sadie in her box... her tummy is filling up with fluid again and it's clear that this is something that she's not going to recover from. Clive examined her and we've decided to give her a few more days of sunshine and freedom. She isn't suffering at the moment, but will when her tum gets really distended, so I'm keeping a weather eye on her for any signs of suffering and she will be back to him to be despatched before she's in any pain.

Sad news, but something that you have to be pragmatic about when you keep animals.

Clive can't make an accurate 100% diagnosis without ultrasound and other tests, but he's fairly sure that it's Avian Leukosis; a form of cancer, which is affecting her liver and making it impossible for her to process liquid effectively.

Clare, I'm sorry to hear about Sadie. I hope you and Rosie are all right and that she has some lovely weather to be happy in.

xx