Omletina Kyckling

Can I blame you lot for my house being so untidy?

I should add that I grew up with clean freaks for parents so I think I'm still rebelling :wink: (Can I still get away with that at 44?)

There's a lot in that, my mum is a fanatical cleaner, she cleans about twice a day....she always checks the tops of doors to see if they are clean and dustfree. I've lived here for two years and dusted once! I have antique pine furniture because that doesn't show the dust!! So I'm a cleaning rebel....I like that :wink:

I subscribe to the "clean the bathroom and kitchen when hygiene levels are deteroriating to unacceptable levels" school of thought and the "I'd better do a bit of dusting and hoovering because x, y or z is coming to visit".

My brother and sister in law are having a new kitchen installed....mum reckons that it was either that, or they'd finally have to clean it..... :shock: Their bathroom has to be seen to believed!......and Clare is works in the health service....

Actually my dad was a plumber and obviously went into a lot of houses, he always said that the "muckiest folk about" were teachers and doctors and nurses !! I know there are a few from those professions on here (including me, former teacher) :shock::wink:

At university we did a practical where we gave dishcloths to staff members and then after a week analysed them to see what was growing on them.

The number of microbiologists who had faecal bugs on their dishcloths :vom: was amazing.

I always say you don't develop an efficient immune system unless you're exposed to muck and germs!

Manys the time I have wandered into the kitchen or conservatory to find a piece of dinghy or a sail parked in the place I want to be :roll: ............the OH was fixing a daggerboard while I was doing dinner the other day, I don't know what was in the stuff he was using but it stunk........why he couldn't do it in the garage I don't know!

DH once took a motorbike engine apart in our living room, and a couple of winters ago he built a wooden canoe from scratch on our kitchen table, it was ridiculous :shock: we had to eat perched right on one end of the table :evil: he has a large shed, but of course it's nice and warm in the kitchen :roll:

I don't give a hang about housework, as long as the bathrooms, kitchen and bed linen is reasonably clean, the rest is done on a 'when it REALLY needs it basis' :)

Tessa

why he couldn't do it in the garage I don't know!

I'm glad I'm not the only one.....hubby was home at the weekend and was trying to find a leak on the quattro intercooler so he had it on the kitchen working top and was putting talcum powder on it and then blowing through in the hope of seeing a puff of talc....I only realised this as I was on the forum :whistle: and thought I could smell my very expensive Penhaligons Violetta talc somewhere and found him sprinkling it on with gay abandon!! Needless to say I confiscated it....about half an hour later I wanted to make some tea and I couldn't get near the kettle as this was the "work area" - he seemed really put out that I wanted to do kitcheny things in the kitchen and pointed out that he was there first! :roll::wink:

Worse than that, eons ago, I commented on a red mark on his mum's sideboard in the sun lounge and she answered, as if it's the most normal thing "It's Alfa Romeo red, Guy resprayed his Giulia in the sun lounge" - I asked how on earth she had stood by whilst he pushed his car into the house to respray it, to which she answered "Stood by? I was pushing..."............I really don't have a hope do I?! :think::roll::wink:

How refreshing to read all of this in one go! :D It all sounds so familiar. I'm definitely someone who does things when they need doing i.e. if I can see it looks dirty I'll clean it (but not upstairs where no-one else goes :oops: ) I try to maintain a level of tidiness downstairs but I am aware that my level may not be the same as other people's! But I still yearn for a clean and tidy house, just not enough to make me spend every day doing it.

And the forum . . . as Omletina said, we just learn so much extremely useful and vitally important information here. So ediucational!

no wonder we all get on so well - we're all so alike! :D:D

[quote name="Omletina Kyckling

Actually my dad was a plumber and obviously went into a lot of houses' date=' he always said that the "muckiest folk about" were teachers and doctors and nurses !! I know there are a few from those professions on here (including me, former teacher) :shock::wink:[/quote]

Oy leave nurses alone. :D Yes teachers are mucky - from when I was a midwife in Leeds. (when were your children born)

The secret to housework is to clean the kitchen sink and washbasin in toilet, vacuum the centre of the carpet and flick a cloth at the fire. Thats all you ever need to do. simple :D

I thought it was just me! How weird that we do the 'wipe the bathroom round during the week' thing! Only 2 of us living here so it must be our cat that brings in all the muck (along with live mice). :wink:

I have definitely suffered at the hands of my manical mother, the phantom cleaner of old Islington and now Falmouth! When I was a kid, she ironed: flannels :shock: into squares, socks (yes,really), knicker gussets so they were flat and as she never had a nice towel when she was a youngster, her linen cupboard is stuffed full of them, some still in wrappers. Every time we go shopping together, she is drawn to the Home dept of shops and 'has' to buy yet another towel - therapy needed??!!

She also had a cylinder hoover and my Dad referred to it as the electrical coffee table as it was always out and in the centre of the sitting room. :lol:

Hence, OH does ALL the ironing, hoovering and DIY, I do gardening, cooking, flick of dustering and bathroom. Tired thinking about it............. :D

Kimmy

x

as she never had a nice towel when she was a youngster, her linen cupboard is stuffed full of them, some still in wrappers. Every time we go shopping together, she is drawn to the Home dept of shops and 'has' to buy yet another towel - therapy needed??!!

With my mum, it's flannels and dusters....everytime she comes down, we go shopping and she's in search of dusters - I think she must eat them!! :wink: She asks me where my duster is so she can run it around when she's here and when I say I don't own one, she's aghast and offers to buy me one....errrr no mum, I'm just fine without.....I'd hate the genes to suddenly kick in and find the need to clean.... :wink:

OOOh how strange :shock: my mum was the same

sheets,towels,bedding in general she

used to take empty suitcases to the USA and buy

more there and fill them with her fix :lol:

She also had a thing about bargain butcher meat :shock:

she even brought some back fron Malta once :shock:

I always put it down to being deprived in the war years :lol:

My mum passed away earlier this year and I could open a shop

with unopened and still in packets of sheets, bedding,

comforter sets :shock:

She wasen't a clean freak though that will be where I get my

couldn't care less attitude from :whistle::whistle:

Hello

Given the time to play Yes I'm on here.

BUT I do try to get work done, very early morning and late at night the pc is on.

Trying to do other things during the day I know it is like a magnet but I now switch it off.

So to put it back on takes 5 minutes and in that time I have started doing something else so do not come on the computer.

Anyhow, in Health and safety on computers it states you should have 10 minutes break from the computer every hour as it is a strain on your eyes. Do you use a mouse rest with a wrist support ( gel wrist support) as this will stop RSI. Do you use a keyboard support also helps that problem. Do your arms rest on the table or are they in mid air. Arms should be supported as that too can give problems, are you using a good supporting computer chair high backed, Have you good lighting by the computer. If you look behind the screen do you look out into space or at a wall. The wall is not very good, if that is all you can have angle the table to give a vista behind. So sorry I have gone on & on but I used to work in Health & Safety and this was one of my subjects once I got going on it I could not stop it.

So give yourself a break and this will

gives you plenty of time to do something else.

Best regards

Ian

Ian & Valerie

William & Harry

Missy & Millie dogs

9 lovely hens

In The Henian Castle with (cube purple) inside it

Edited by Guest

I was never very good at the housework living at home with Joe. I love having a clean house and I can clean very well - (car's however have to be clean - I hate dirty alloy's :lol:)

My argument was that I paid for the cleaner :wink:

Since I moved into the flat (which I share with a great close friend) I have realised that I am a bit of a clean freak! This is not the same sentiment shared by Phil - who's quite content to sit on the sofa or up in his room on his laptop or with his boyfriend.

He's being driving me mad - literally - when I put the dishwasher on a few days ago after going through the flat from top to bottom (technically it's a maisonette above his shop) it was still not emptied by Wednesday, despite us not having any clean dishes left in the cupboard and when I went to empty it - he'd added dirty dishes to it :evil::evil::evil:

I did get him to clean the bathroom this week after having a major strop when I got in from work - and he's been helping keep the place a lot tidier since :D

A

xx

:D ha glad i am not the only one i really HATE cleaning . Have to say though have been forced 2 potter and do a bit as have been off work sick for about 5 (maybe more) weeks though due 2 what they think is asthma (diagnosed at the ripe old age of 36!!!!). Now get really breathless on walking far and have to resort to inhalers! Of cause all ive heard from everyone is itsthe chickens! Anyway as long as its (the house )is vaguely clean and not a health hazard who cares :lol: my mums house was always immaculate sure that had something 2 do with my rebellion! the only problem is my 2 1/2 yr old is showing signs of going the other way she tidies up in shops putting things in neat rows OCD!!!!

cam

(green eglu)

GNR mya

(white chicken) velma