mostin

THE RESULTS! It's time for you all to break my heart.

Is she Bella, or is he Bill?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Is she Bella, or is he Bill?

• Bella
    • Bill
    • Don't know

When HENthusiastic and I went to the chicken auction we bought 3 Buff Sussex hens. Hen took one and I went home with the other 2. One of mine has become somewhat larger than the other, and is a lot more upright *coughcockerel* :oops: .

I have been in denial for a few weeks now, and did not want to face the opinions of you good omleteers :( , but after seeing the pictures of Egluntines boy and girl sussex pair, I have to bite the bullet.

So hear goes..........cast your votes. Is she Bella? Or is he Bill?

3651447219_f9d96d54bd.jpg?v=0

Bella/Bill

3652245440_2e0ec0a92f.jpg?v=0

Dora who I got at the same time

3651447673_0d3358760d.jpg?v=0

Both together, so you can see the size difference.

Edited by Guest

oh darling mostin.... look at those hocks! look at those legs! If this was a hooman, we'd be looking at Henry VIII! That chook has 'give me women, lots of 'em and be damn quick about it' written all over him.

sorry, my love, I'd have to say boy :(

(we could pretend a bit longer though, couldn't we? .....'isn't SHE lovely, what long legs - Elle McPherson would love legs like that" - there, do you feel a bit better? )

I'm going for Bill too - but can you possibly keep him? My three Polish " hens" turned out to be a trio - and its lovely. Phillip is so handsome and he looks after his " girls" so well. He finds them tasty morsels, calls them over and stands back while they feed. Trouble is, he keeps losing them as his eyesight is not that good- so stands there, head back, calling to them till they appear. When they lose sight of him, after a while, they walk around making a pathetic " mewing" sound till he appears.

Actually on the minus side,thinking this through, he can be a nasty so and so if you get between him and the girls .........

Luckily our neighbours love them. I do think a cockerel adds another dimension to chicken -keeping - as long as the neighbours can be dealt with.

s/he is beautiful, Mostin......

Well, it's tricky :think: . If he/she is going to start crowing soon, and lets face it, I think we'd all be surprised if he didn't :roll: , it's going to cause problems as my chooks are near to the house.

In answer to Hen's field, unfortunately, her field is nearer to houses than the woods at the back of my garden, and she promised the man she rented the field from she wouldn't have any cockerels.

I assume cockerels are just as unhappy to live on their own as hens are, so if I move him up into the woods, where the neighbours can't hear him, he would have to be moved with a small harem.

I don't know if if I could bare not to see any of my usual girls every day so this would mean getting new girls.

This may lead to divorce, :think: , do you see my problem :roll::lol: .

And do they have to live with the girl you want them to breed with or could I move him in with Dora next spring?

This may all be a moot point anyway, as in order to have a ?cockerel that I could handle I have been cuddling he/she everyday. This has resulted in a fantasic 3 claw scratch on my arm that is really nasty and deep :? . If he gets more aggressive and unmanageable then his fate will be sealed :( .

Such a beautiful chicken though. I should have had my suspicions earlier though, he/she is always lying down. I have never seen a chicken spend so much time on its bum before :roll: , typical bloke :wink::lol: .

Bill. Although I have to say I think Egluntines Anton is a very well developed lad for his age because my Light Sussex boy is 17 weeks old and hasn't as much face furniture as him. The feathers on his rump curl over like Bills though and just this past week or two the black tail feathers have developed a beetle green sheen to them. He's just starting to grow pointy hackle feathers and his stance is similar to Bills, very very long legged, looks a bit like a giant :lol: He looks like a baby giraffe at the feeders, struggling to bend down far enough to eat because of his ginormous legs in the way :lol:

Yep and my Forest Gump is exactly the same, he's always laying down. He likes to sit under the same tree as the ex-bats, probably because the other girls pick on him and he's such a big girls blouse, daren't answer back.

Bill, for definite...you were sold a trio, (Cockeral and 2 hens)

It's our fault for trusting old men with pipes in their mouths. There were 6 cages of buff sussex. 2 were just cocks, 3 were trios, but the auctioneer and all the hecklers in the crowd told us that the lot we bought were 3 hens. It's hard not to giggle when old men lean over you and say "That's the lot you want if you don't like cocks love" :lol: When I look back on the photos of when we bought them the only difference is that Bill has a slightly bigger comb, but all 3 looked exactly the same apart from that.

It's amazing how fast he's grown since then. Perhaps it was an honest mistake, or perhaps it wasn't :? , I'll look upon it as a cockerel of fate, since I can't seem to get a chicken of fate :D .

I dont think you're really asking are you :wink: ? You are just deciding its time to face up to what you know :) .

Your logic sounds spot on to me, re getting more girls to put with him in the woods. Surely OH would agree with you, given time. he wouldn't want bill to go would he? I was reading about how its actually better to breed from non related birds, so you would have another line of argument for getting more girls to go with him to the fields. Another nice sussie would be good eh? Or maybe a couple of different coloured sussies, then it all becomes cost effective; breeding your own utility birds, you could even sell your fertile eggs?

Maybe appeal to ShaunW's business mind and put it to him as a financially sound business venture?

I dont think you're really asking are you :wink: ? You are just deciding its time to face up to what you know :) .

Your logic sounds spot on to me, re getting more girls to put with him in the woods. Surely OH would agree with you, given time. he wouldn't want bill to go would he? I was reading about how its actually better to breed from non related birds, so you would have another line of argument for getting more girls to go with him to the fields. Another nice sussie would be good eh? Or maybe a couple of different coloured sussies, then it all becomes cost effective; breeding your own utility birds, you could even sell your fertile eggs?

Maybe appeal to ShaunW's business mind and put it to him as a financially sound business venture?

Maybe there was just a faint glimmer of hope left? but I think the poll on here has finalised things. Just need to formulate my plan thoroughly now :twisted: .