I've been meaning to try this for a bit since I read about it in Practical Poultry magazine, and tonight I struck. The bin men had left two bags of leaves collected from the street (with almost no rubbish in as they compost in Hackney) outside my house and I grabbed them on the way in. I have an eglu run with two extensions, so it's quite big but the two bags easily did the whole area to about six inches deep (with a bit of fluffing). The leaves are soggy, but I've put them in now in the hope they'll dry out a bit overnight, they're already getting drier. Obviously the girls haven't seen it yet as they're all tucked up in bed, but it looks like AMAZING fun. I'm going to throw some corn in when I get up tomorrow to encourage them to scratch around, and I'll try and get some pictures so I can post them tomorrow night. And some of Hazel (so pretty) and Beryl looking all queen-bee-ish. And Chick, who is still growing, and still peeping.

Hi Aunty E, I've also done this. I went down to the local park with 2 bags and a shovel and collected loads of leaves. There were loads of bugs in the bag with the leaves which was a bonus for the chooks. My chooks were a bit wary of it and didn't want to play in it which was quitee dissapointing but after a day or two they started scratching in it and finding worms and spiders etc.

Great fun too watch!

We have, lining our drive, eight 100ft lime trees and the leaves all come down on our yard. :( I have always cursed this time of year as its usually me who gets to sweep them all up, before they get too wet and slippery for the donks to walk over. However this year I have left them....You wouldn't believe the fun the girls have when I let them out. They go mental in them, digging, scratching and generally making them fly about. I thought about videoing last weekend and then thought, "no, that's really sad"... But i might now! :D

We have, lining our drive, eight 100ft lime trees and the leaves all come down on our yard. :( I have always cursed this time of year as its usually me who gets to sweep them all up, before they get too wet and slippery for the donks to walk over. However this year I have left them....You wouldn't believe the fun the girls have when I let them out. They go mental in them, digging, scratching and generally making them fly about. I thought about videoing last weekend and then thought, "no, that's really sad"... But i might now! :D

great idea :wink:

you can then bore all your chicken "non loving" friends and family with hour long footage of "chickens in leaves" episode 1 ,...im picturing you sat lovingly glued to the telly and them dozing off :lol:

:D Oh please do, that would be great to see! We've got loads of leaves - I hadn't thought about the chooks! Will collect them for their run tomorrow as they still have another couple of days to go before they can be 'released'. I've found that if Florrie and Pom are distracted they are more likely to let Fizz and Bella out of the eglu! :roll:

I put leaves from my Sycamore tre in the run :D

The Hens love scratching about in them. I throw their corn down and it dissapears in the leaves. The Hens spend ages finding their evening treat and usually there is a little bit left to find the next day.

The leaves have made the run a little bit more interesting.

Brilliant tip - me and boys spent morning picking up leaves from garden (full of creepy crawlies! :vom: ) then tipped them into the run. Result! All four chooks out at once - the fimbles were so absorbed in rummaging around in the leaves that they didn't even notice Bella and Fizz come out to join them!

Very happy chooks!

:D:D:D:D