Helly Welly

Embarassing bodies

Phil has a friend like that Olly; if you ask him if he's hungry - he looks at his watch first and then tells you if it's not time for lunch. He also collects stuff and is more than slightly obssessive with counting. I suspect that he'd have a high score.

I'd expect Phil to be pretty low, I'll try to remember to get him to do it at the weekend.

Out of all the Omleteers i know Snowy and Lesley the best and would never have guessed that you would score highly like me. I look at you two and wish i had your confidence at Omlet meets. I guess we all get pretty good at hiding our fears. We'll all go and hide in a corner together shall we, as long as we don't have to talk if we don't want too :oops::D Oh, and as long as Lesley brings some of her chocolate brownies :pray:

Ha! if you only knew.......the times we've had to get to places early (or do a recce if poss.) so I know where I can sit.......the state my innards are in at every get-together.......even meeting Clare and Moochoo at the Farmers' Market cafe every fortnight has me worrying about getting there and where I'll sit :roll: At least they know me now.....and always leave me the seat in the corner.....back to the wall :roll::lol:

9. Looking at the emoticons - don't be embarrassed or sad if you scored highly. Takes all sorts to make a world.

As an outgoing type, sometimes I think it must be fab to be quietly observing in the corner and not flitting around like Pollyanna. Most of my autistic-tendencied friends are computer or science geeks and I envy them their concentration, ability to be more right-brained than me, and love learning from them and being with them - when they're up for that.

God, could you imagine if EVERYONE was an 'up' and sociable type all the time?! Too many cooks, shouting too loudly! Viva la difference! :D

Have just done the test - after having an awful problem finding it :( Had to go via bbc in the end, but finally managed. Anyway, I got 22. Not too sure what that means, but I was quite amazed at what my truthful answers were to some of the questions. I have never liked parties, although am really happy to spend time with people I know and like. I don't mind meeting new people as long as I have something in common with them, otherwise I shut up like a clam and just want to go home. I am definitely getting worse as I get older :(

YS got 37 but it's come as no great n suprise. He is a real maths genius and remembers numbers and figures out equations and solutions in his head when he goes to sleep at night :shock::lol: He got 100% in his Maths SATs. Is very sociable and outgoing though which I thought might have bought his score down a bit more.

I scored 5.

Saronne x

Is there possibly a cultural element to the scoring, Saronne? Outgoing enthusiasm is positively encouraged in the States (which is why lots of other countries think of us as 'loud'). Is there a chance that either the tests are written with a cultural bias or that there are culturally encouraged personality traits?

just got me thinking.... :think:

From what i can tell, the test is quite well regarded and was developed in 2001 so any problems with it should have been brought up by now. I see what you mean about the cultural bias but it's not saying that Autism is necessarily a bad thing, just that these traits are present in those with Autism.

At least i've got an excuse now for my 'eccentricities' :roll:

I scored 5.

Saronne x

Is there possibly a cultural element to the scoring, Saronne? Outgoing enthusiasm is positively encouraged in the States (which is why lots of other countries think of us as 'loud'). Is there a chance that either the tests are written with a cultural bias or that there are culturally encouraged personality traits?

just got me thinking.... :think:

Ooh, good question, laurmurf...! Got me thinking, too. When I was a child growing up in the States, I was painfully shy and dreaded meeting new people or having to 'make' conversation with people I didn't know very well. But as I've aged and matured (!) I've become a lot more confident and discovered that I really enjoy social situations after all.

Also, living in two different countries has given me lots of opportunities to meet a wide range of interesting people from all walks of life. :D

Saronne x

OH actually wants me to go to the doctor with my test and results :shock: I can't see the point, there's nothing that can be done anyway and i'm not really bothered, i'm just glad i can put a name to my weirdness. Honestly, that's his answer to everything; i wish he'd realsie that not every little problem requires a doctor. It's not as if he goes himself, he just wants me to go.

I can't see the point, there's nothing that can be done anyway and i'm not really bothered, i'm just glad i can put a name to my weirdness.

Same here - since my son was diagnosed, apart from the medication for is ADHD we have not been given any advice, tips or help to understand more about Aspergers. Everything I have found out has been through t'internet.

Thank goodnes for Google!

Dawn x

PS - We aren't weird - we are quirky and unpredictable!!! :lol:

Dawn x

OH actually wants me to go to the doctor with my test and results :shock: I can't see the point, there's nothing that can be done anyway and i'm not really bothered, i'm just glad i can put a name to my weirdness. Honestly, that's his answer to everything; i wish he'd realsie that not every little problem requires a doctor. It's not as if he goes himself, he just wants me to go.

3 things;

First of all, Baron-Cohen states that the 'test' should not to be used for any diagnostic purposes...

Second - 'Normal' covers a very, very broad spectrum.

Finally, a high score means nothing if you're basically happy and getting on with life. Quirky is good and it's not a problem unless it's a problem. Be yourself and enjoy life your way. :D

Saronne xx

ES Tom has Asperger syndrome and scored 27. He's very high functioning but admits that a few years ago, his score would have been higher as he's far more confident since he left school. My score was 30 and I think that the older I get, the higher my score will be as I get more reclusive with each year that passes.

Mine was 33, I wasn't surprised to be at the high end but didn't expect to be that high. :shock:

We are a close knit family who will help anyone out if they need but we do keep ourselves to ourselves largely. We have a few friends, but to be honest they are a bit odd too :D We have what could be regarded as autistic traits on both sides of the family, on the plus side though we are very good at marriage, so we can obviously spot a compatable wierdo pretty well :lol:

DS has the strongest obvious traits, I don't think I will get him to do the test, it might knock his growing confidence, because I am sure that he would have a pretty high score.