Helly Welly

Embarassing bodies

Did anyone watch Embarassing Bodies on Channel 4 last night? They said that everybody has autistic traits and there was a link to a test on their website

http://www.channel4embarrassingillnesses.com/features/take-the-autism-test/

Doctor Christian came out with a score of 15. The test says that the average is 16.4 and that people with autism of some description have a score of 32. It should be said that many of these people lead fully functioning lives.

Well, my score was 30 :shock: Actually i'm not that surprised, i know it was the questions about social situations that bumped up my score.

So i wondered what the rest of you score?

27 :? but curiously, looking at my answers the pattern is inconsistent :?

I bet if I had taken this test 20 years ago I would have got 5 and If I take it in 10 years my score would be over 40 ..... I'm getting more pernickity and antisocial as I get older. Am I becoming a grumpy old lady? Must do something about that Hurrrumph :lol:

Edited by Guest

:shock:

I got 32 - but as I have a son with ADHD and ASD (Aspergers) and having found out more about autism because of that, I understand that it can 'run' in families.

I have always felt 'odd' - bit like a square peg constantly trying to fit in a round hole, and have only really started to understand why over the last year or so.

I often feel like screaming at the world and his wife that just because i don't conform to thinking the same way as everyone else is supposed to doesn't make me wrong. How many times do we hear the expression these days "think outside the box". I live "outside the box" or that's how it can often feel.

I'm going to stop now because I get rather emotional when I talk about myself and my feelings and I'm at work.

Dawn x

I got 32 - but as I have a son with ADHD and ASD (Aspergers) and having found out more about autism because of that, I understand that it can 'run' in families.

I have always felt 'odd' - bit like a square peg constantly trying to fit in a round hole, and have only really started to understand why over the last year or so.

I often feel like screaming at the world and his wife that just because i don't conform to thinking the same way as everyone else is supposed to doesn't make me wrong. How many times do we hear the expression these days "think outside the box". I live "outside the box" or that's how it can often feel.

I'm going to stop now because I get rather emotional when I talk about myself and my feelings and I'm at work.

Dawn x

Dawn, you've hit the nail on the head, thank you. I live outside the box too, i'm very aware i'm not the same as everyone else but i'm fortunate enough t be able to pretend most of the time. You're not alone.

I was actually just doing the test - I scored 25.

No 3 of our 4 children has autism so it might be interesting if we all do the test - although we wouldn't take it as conclusive of course :wink:

OH and I both questioned our own traits in view of our son's diagnosis and there are definitely links through both of our families - 1 or 2 diagnosed but others not :think:

Lisa P

Dawn x

Same here though i have learnt to hide it better :think: will never be comfortable in new situations with new people and have loads of acquaintances and only 1 good friend (did have 2 but she moved away). Hubby has loads of friends through work and leisure so i join with his but never feel like i fit and their hobby holds no interest for me :eh:

I despair of people when i think 'oh why don't they just say no' to their kids for example. Maybe i have to learn to be more tolerant but my brain says otherwise lol