Alis girls

I've done it.........

I have ordered my Eglu and chucks - arriving in Easter hols. Now the worrying starts - will I be able to look after them properly. I have perused the list of essentials etc I will be back on here soon with a list of questions ( cue for everyone to disappear please dont - i need you) i am a cat mum, bun mum and fish mum - will I be ok as a chicken mum. Does everyone feel like this? My frieind mad it look so easy when I looked after hers. "just do this and this" but its not as I learn from your posts. Heeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllp :anxious:

Well i think they are easy, i had been a cat, bunny, guinea, fish and snake mum before i got them. I think because they are an unusual pet we worry unnecessarily , they have been easy for me, i lost 2 in 18mths but they were quick and died within hours of showing any signs. The first within months of getting her and the other a yr after. All the others have been fine with no vets or strange illnesses. Thing is people do not post when its easy :lol:

Few things i have learnt

1. Don't get in the habit of letting them out too early to FR as they get used to it and can get noisy.

2. Don't expect your garden to last long with chickens unless its huge or you don't have plants or veg lol

3. give them as much space as you can as i feel that helps to keep them distracted from annoying each other.

4.Try not to worry too much they pretty much look after themselves if you provide food and water and something to entertain them like perches etc

Sound advice from Barbara :)

I have been known to pamper my girls (olive oil leg massage anyone?) but whenever I go away and leave the OH in charge (by in charge I mean all he does is ensure drinkers are de-iced) they always seem to lay more eggs than when I am at home :roll:

I had chooks foisted on me...in so much as my DD and her then BF presented me with two bantams as a Christmas present just over a year ago..I too felt so overwhelmed by it all that I felt inadequate to meet their needs. We had no hen house or run...just an old very large indoor rabbit cage..so my chooks lived in the conservatory until I got the Eglu delivered at the end of January. But I began to realise they must be fairly easy to look after when they started laying eggs in their rabbit cage. I read up on various problems of soft eggs and lice, red mite and worm infestation, moulting and broodiness...it all seemed very scary. My darling Doodle was soooo broody - she would have been a fantastic mum. but with the advice on this website I learnt how to manage it.. but very sadly I lost both girls to the fox in August whilst we were away in France. But having Chickens is so addictive that I bought two Goldlines at the beginning of September - and all went very well until I lost one to the fox in December. I then had to do an introduction...as usual this Website proved invaluable with all the info I needed to get two strangers up close and personal...(now they are inseparable).

The one thing my year and a bit of chicken keeping has taught me is that no matter how worrying it might seem to get the food right/ worming right/ environment right the girls actually just get on with it.and are pretty resiliant..the one thing you absolutely MUST get right is their safety -- Mr Fox doesn't care how well fed/wormed/looked after your girls are, but he is an opportunist....never assume your girls are not at risk . Mine only free range now when I am actually in the immediate vicinity .

Ta everyone - the boys have said they will name them - oh no - I told them these are mine and I have names lined up. They came out with names Kentucky - already been done i told them. I've watied sooo long for these hens I really want to name them. The cats and rabbit were all rescu animals and they were named already. In time I would like to try ex batts but OH not keen. Probably when I retire. I will look out for Mr Fox - when I think how often our rabbits are on lawn in their very inaduequate run I do think I should get him more protection. Something else to think about,

So pleased to hear your chooks are on the way. You will be fine with them. I was nervous when I started last October, but the chickens are part of the family now, and they do seem to take care of themselves quite well. I love them to bits, and I'm sure you will too.

Well I'm new to chicken ownership (3 weeks tomorrow) but have to say they seem fine to look after. The advice I have had on here has been INVALUABLE and no-one minds if I ask a daft question which is fab!!

Many congratulations; you'll love it. I spend a lot longer outside now than I did before just wandering around the garden and chatting to the chooks. Neighbours must think I'm barmy!!!!

Ah it's natural to be nervous but looking after hens is so easy and so lovely. There's a really good book you can get (see Shop) called Keeping Pet Chickens that I found extremely helpful plus there's always loads of info on this forum! You'll soon get into a routine and wonder what you were worried about!

nothing way out I'm afraid a green Eglu go and 3 gingernuts. I may be more adventerous in future but for a beginner I think that will do. I want something friendly - a friend had 2 gingers and a black one (co Omlet) Th black one was unfriendly and a madam. For now that will do - when I retire I might get ex bats but cos I work I dont feel I can nurse sick birds and give all the attention. I know many of you do - I'm probably lazy :shameonu::shameonu: I would love one that lays blue eggs - another friend has all different breeds. Sadly she lost a lot to Mr Fox. Doesnt matter what you pay doesnt stop him does it.