Cinnamon

Aldi - is this usual?

Just been to Aldi & ended up with some fruite & groceries on top of the windowsil greenhouses I was after.

Anyhow, as I have never bought little bits there before, just bags of compost & so forth,I wasn't aware of the till protocal...you put the stuff on the conveyor belt,the assistant scans it,you put it back into your trolley then take it to a different packing area & bag it up, after you have paid.

I was putting the stuff into my reusable bags as the assistant scanned it, & she got really cross with me & swept her arm over the area my shopping was sat on,pushing it all into the trolley,from quite a height.The she started scanning & chucking it straight into the trolley. :roll:

Now,I didn't want to make a fuss & I thought that maybe I had done something srong,but the more I think about what she did,the more annoyed I am.

What do you think?

There are signs in our Aldi to pack your stuff in the packing area. I guess it speeds up the checkout procedure minimising staff hence overheads therefore the price we pay at the till.

There was no need for her to be rude though. A complaint to the manager might filter through to the culprit but I doubt it.

Aldi shopping is quite an experience especially if you have lots in your trolley.

I've never shopped there, but I think she was rude and out of order - if it was your first time, all she needed to do was to explain the protocol for your next visit. Now, you may well not bother shopping there again.

I'd email them to complain - that sort of behaviour is bad PR and they need to know about it.

I have only ever bought a couple of items at a time and so its never been an issue.

I haven't seen others doing this and am not aware that its how they operate.

Even if it is how they want us to operate, they should

a. tell us by way of clear signs

b. politely tell people who appear not to have seen the signs

c. be curteous and polite

H

I'd have pulled her up on it! Even if that is the normal practice then she could have politely informed you of this. To shove everything into your trolley and then start lobbing things in is just downright rude. I'm afraid I'd have gone into awkward mode and asked her to go and get a replacement item from something that she'd damaged as a result.

But then things like that really get my back up, after an assistant let me stand in a que whilst she served the person infront of me and then informed me she was closing now I dumped my basket on the conveyor belt and informed her that it was now going to take her longer to put my items back than it would have done to serve me :oops: it had been a long day!

That is very rude.

I don't shop in Aldi's, but go to Lidl's regularly. It's common practice to put shopping straight in to the trolley and then bag it up after paying, no specific area for doing this though. We usually do it stood next to the open car boot. There's not really any room on the checkout to bag up, and they zap everything so quickly it'd be a struggle to keep up.

Yes that is the norm for Aldi. I whizz it into the trolley as quick as possible then take it to the car and pack in boxes at my leisure! I've been known to grab stuff from the cashiers hand before they've scanned it, I get so obsessed with getting it done quickly :oops: The first time I went in though, I didn't realise and the cashier was very polite and explained how it was done - I love it now! I hate normal supermarket shopping as I hate the checkouts so much :lol:

Your assistant was rude and out of order, I would be speaking to the manager. :evil:

The first time I ever used Aldi was about 20 years ago. They didn't have the scanners then and nothing had a price on - the cashier literally knew every single price and tapped it in furiously as everything went by. It's no faster with the scanners! I was gobsmacked! :shock::lol:

What happens if it's raining??

I'm sorry I don't see how this method actually speeds things up for customers? You have to take everything out of your trolley, put it back in, take it out and pack it, put it back in, nope not for me. it might speed up the sheck out process but not the overall process and as I've never seen people queing up to get into one of these places surely the couple of seconds they save at the check out doesn't make that much difference?

What happens if it's raining??

I'm sorry I don't see how this method actually speeds things up for customers? You have to take everything out of your trolley, put it back in, take it out and pack it, put it back in, nope not for me. it might speed up the sheck out process but not the overall process and as I've never seen people queing up to get into one of these places surely the couple of seconds they save at the check out doesn't make that much difference?

You'd be surprised. Our Aldi has a window shelf running the width of the shop just past the checkouts where you can decant your trolley contents into your bags. I have never seen anybody rearranging their shopping at the car.

I have been in a queue of maybe five or six huge trolley loads in front of me and they are through in minutes. Instead of having four tills open they have only one unless it's really busy then another person comes on to clear the backlog and then disappears to do whatever it was they were previously engaged in.I think it works.

Cinnamon this check out operator was down right rude and there is no excuse for that. I have to say though I use a couple of Aldi's for bits and pieces (I usually end up regretting it some months later) and wasn't aware of their packing policy.

As OSH said "Aldi shopping is quite an experience" - its certainly not Waitrose (the one thing I miss since we moved here).

Yup this is the norm as is

leaving baskets of special offers in the middle of isles

finding stuff you like the look of is open - esp bigger goods so you cant gurantee its all there

Being pushed by impatient older people who have all day to shop but no manners

but on the whole the goods are ok and cheaper i do get fed up of loading and unloading esp with a bad back

Not round here :think:

The one in Sutton you pack your bags at the till as usual - wonder why its different? :lol:

Nan always goes to Lidl and I've not seen the signs there and no-one does it either, but they do have the window shelves by the tills.

I shop at Aldi every week and have the trolley filling/emptying/refilling down to a fine art, I can usually keep up with the checkout operator and still manage to stack things neatly in my trolley.

They don't want you packing your bags at the checkout as it slows things down, but that till operator was very rude, the girls in our store are lovely and would have politely asked you to pack in the counter area. Maybe she was just having a bad day, don't let it put you off shopping there again, but have a word with the manager if it happens again.

Low prices and the staff have incredibly high targets for scanning as well as having to shelf stack etc. No need for bad manners but unfortunately probably due to the pressure they are under.I do however shop there occasionally especially for plants and garden stuff and the olive oil is great value.

I like aldi for some things like fruit and jars of olives and olive oil, cheap cereal, cheeses and cooked meats.

Yes at mine you now have to put the scanned items straight into your trolley and then go to the packing area and put them in bags - or as I do just straight into bags in the car.

You do pay for what you can get Im afraid and if I could afford it I would shop at Waitrose all the time - afraid its tescos and aldo for us though.

I dont go to aldi - I go to Lidl - the staff seem polite enough - its the customers I dont like - there was a right barney a few weeks ago between an older woman and 2 girls sporting Croydon facelifts :roll: I was wating for the cut price loo rolls to start flying :lol: However it is in a down market area so its what you expect. I find iceland staff rude well in our local one anyway. Our Tesco girls are lovely and always chat to the elderly which is nice

yes, I have found both Aldi and Lidl an 'experience' and that they expect you to know the checkout protocol. But as others have said, there is no need for rudeness.

I check out the Aldi Super 6 occasionally, love their salmon, banana fromage frais, cup a soup, hot chocolate sachets, 'Baileys', floor wipes and occasional other bits - but certainly couldn't face a whole shop there.

There is a Lidl near my mums that I send her to for blue cheese and vanilla yoghurt...again, it is particualr things and I do prefer Asda/Tesco/Sainsburys for my main shop, I always get what is on special offer so don't think Aldi tends to work out much cheaper anyway.

Sounds to me that assistant was downright rude and probably having a bad day but thats no excuse for her rudeness!

I shop at Aldis a lot too and thankfully the staff there are lovely, very friendly and helpful. I use the big blue Ikea bags which I open up in my trolley and pack everything in there as it comes off the checkout, they are amazingly quick on those tills though :shock: Thats part of the reason I like it, they are much quicker than sainsburys which where we go next for the stuff aldis dont sell. :D