MedusA

I'm getting some ex-batts - UPDATE - Now with photos

After much dithering about it over the last year or so, and just having lost my beloved Toffee, I have just arranged to get 4 ex-batts through the BHWT.

If all goes to plan, I pick up my girls from Ian and Mollie in Coventry on April 11th. I'm getting excited already. :dance:

Edited by Guest

You won't regret having ex batts, it's a joy to watch them transform from bald and frightened s"Ooops, word censored!"s into fluffy and gregarious chickens!

I've had mine well over a year now and they are a delight - and they both still lay regularly too, which I really didn't expect.

So sorry to hear about Toffee :( , but great news for four very lucky ex-batts. Well done you! They really are lovely to have around and watch them transform from frightened little feather-bares to confident and very cheeky chooks :D.

Just a little word of caution, they can be very addictive. Two years ago I was getting "four" ex-batts. My signature tells the rest of that particular story ... :lol:

Sorry about Toffee, but fantastic news about the ex-batts, such a great thing to do. Somewhere there's four hens who have a better future to look forward to, if only they knew :D

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. :D

I admit I am getting very excited. DD and I do have names in mind, but I'm not going to say yet, in case I change my mind when we get them.

I love Becky Boo's thoughts that my girls are out there somewhere and have no idea how much their lives will change in three weeks. For the better, I mean! :lol:

Congrats on your exbatts- sorry to hear about toffee though :(

I got 3 ex abtts from ian and molly last august and hey are fab- really changed from the scared bald hens they were!! Ian and molly we're really friendly and gave us loads of helpful advice as they were the first hens we had. we are planning to get 4 more hopefully the rescue after the 11th.

Enjoy them!!

They're here! :dance::dance::dance:

We picked up our 4 "Herbs" from Ian and Mollie this morning. They are a varied range of featherlessness, Parsley being the most oven-ready, Sage being the most feathered and Rosemary and Thyme somewhere in between.

It was all so overwhelming for them and it took them quite a while to venture out of the eglu, but they have all had something to eat. Let's see how they cope with going to bed, which I gather can be "fun".

I took some pics and will upload them soon.

I've picked up 4 girls from the same rescue but at the Brackley site - and met Em! Bonus indeed!

All 4 are well feathered. One was supposed to be ill but seems Ok apart from a slight limp and a droopy wing - probably bruising I've decided. Anyway, all came out within 2 hours, have eaten and drunk well and all have now found their way into the eglu for the night.

At some point, I'll get over my photo phobia and put some pictures up.

Tricia

I picked up 3 girls from BHWT Coventry today too! How fab are Ian and Mollie... amazing organisation.

My 2 original girls are not impressed and spent most of the afternoon squawking. The new girls did a bit of retaliation when it started getting dark.

We put lights in the eglu but two of them refused to go in, one settled down the other side of the pink glug. I had to pick her up... compared to my original girls they are so tiny!

Hope yours settle down ok. I've already been out once to check on them..... they are so tiny in that big eglu!!!

First pictures here...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4339576&l=66c73ccd82&id=570757025

We have Flo, short for Florentine, Jo Jo, short for Jospehine and Mimi, short for Mimi Maguire, DH's fave character in Shameless and if I recall, there was a (now departed) ex-batt called Mimi Maguire and I thought it was a fab name.

Flo is amazingly well feathered and the only way you'd know she was ex-batt is the dead eyes and she is so pale. The other two have bald necks and are much more your typical ex-batt.

They had a quiet night (surprising really as I glanced out of the bedroom window at 11:30 and to my horror one of the roof panels had blown half off in the high winds, so there I am, PJs, head torch and garden wire at midnight.... )

Now, if I could just get them to come out of the eglu. Exact opposite of last night. Have tried to encourage them but they seem really scared (much more than my original 3 did when they arrived) and just huddle down together in the back of the eglu. I want to get them out but don't want to frighten them anymore than they are already. Poor things, must be really scary for them I suppose.

Hope all the other Coventry Ex-Batts are doing OK!

Lovely to hear so many girls went to good homes this weekend and are now starting their second lives :D . Congratulations to all of you :clap:

Don't worry about them not coming out initially, they get there in their own time. Even the most timid ex-batt can't resist coming out for a nosey after a while, especially if they can see other hens having fun - beakiness will always get the better of them! Of my songbirds, for the first couple of weeks Roxanne would come down the ladder, have a quick look round and then go back into the house until the next time and none of my others had ever done this. After a couple of weeks, she decided to head for the garden and is now as cheeky as you like and quite cuddly too :D