Ziggy

How did we get...

:D He is now 27 kgs... a full grown setter is anything between 30 and 33 kgs...

He is VERY strong... but he is a darling... I love the idea of puppies, and how cute and sweet they are, but I must admit they are also hard work (maybe, especially, when it's your first dog ever, and you also have 4 kids to train , and the pup to train, and yourself to train, and your husband to train)... and there is nothing that can compare to standing there and feeling a warm nose in your hand and look down to see a calmer, adoring dog staring back and say 'come on boy, let's go for a walk'... his presence now is amazing...

He's stunning Ziggy, and now that the weather is getting better, we hope to meet up soon.

I know what you mean about the calming down - Ruby is starting to reach that stage now (lurchers are always skittish until they are about 2 years old :roll: ) and it's so nice to have her come when called and sit nicely.

Well done, he's a credit to you.

Thanks everybody... the vet seemed quite impressed with him too, partly because there aren't many irish setters around...

As he's our first dog, we always wonder about all kinds of things (we thought we were prepared, and we had read many books, subscribed to dog magazines, watched every dog-oriented tv program for two years... only to find out that, like with kids, you can't really be fully prepared, a lot of it is experience and on-hands learning), so had a few questions for the vet (including stains on Charlie's tongue and lumps under his muzzle), but all seems good, and he seems a happy healthy boy.

Claret, would love to meet up with Ruby, but word of warning... Charlie is a teenage boy with hormones raging... (my 10 year old daughter keeps trying to explain to him that trying to make babies with his cushion will NOT work, and that if it did the babies would look very odd indeed :oops::roll: )...

Hubby is desperate to let him off the leash some time, but I think he is nowhere near ready for that... His training is going ok, he is getting more focused and quicker at figuring out what we want, but his recall is still totally unreliable, and I can't think of anywhere safe to practise it except the garden or the park with a very long leash... OH once let him off in a field, a few weeks ago, and I wasn't too happy to hear that... Any advise on this?

He's absolutely stunning Ziggy...but how did you manage to get him to be so calm in just a few months????? We had a Red Setter many many moons ago, and he didn't calm down until he was about seven!!!!! If I let him off at the beach, even in his old age, he'd immediately be off chasing the seagulls and heading for France. He had training classes and all that, and knew exactly how to behave there....it was just when he got outside again he reverted to the exuberant wild Irishman he was....a fun dog but such a handfull....but just remembering him now makes me smile a huge smile, I'm sure he's having a grand time - his Red Setter Heaven will be full of seagulls (and bits of leaf and twigs, and blackbirds and rabbits and old bits of rubbish anything else that moves) to chase :D

Hi Sadie :)

I'm not sure I'd call Charlie 'calm'... he is usually a bundle of energy bouncing around the place like a lunatic and wagging his tail so hard it hurts if it hits your leg... I haven't let him off the leash yet, but we have a large garden and he sure charges through that as if life depended on speed...

We work hard with him to encourage him to be calmer around the kids, because he is so big he easily knocks the three year old off her feet (and she's a pain cause she keeps exciting him), and even the older kids find him overwhelming if he gets too mad... so we try hard to get him to be excited when playing ball in the garden, but to be civilised in the house... he is still young, and it's a work in progress, which I understand with an irish setter will remain 'in progress' for a long time...