Millie-Annie

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS. INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Hello,

I haven't kept hens before but as of today I'm the new owner of an Eglu cube! A local farm sells hybrid breeds and we are going to collect 3 on Saturday - planning to get a heritiage skyline, a bovan/white leghorn and either a bluebell or a speckledy - just can't decide so if anyone has experience of any of these it would be great to hear.

Simone

Hi - although I'm new here we've had chickens for about 4 years, but how come I've only just found this forum?

We started off with 2 ex-batts and have since had/now have 2 more ex-batts, a white silkie and a partidge silkie, 2 bantam wyandottes, 2 lavender arucanas (which we incubated and hatched), 3 hybrid (also incubated and hatched), 2 black german langshan and 4 goldtops (light sussex/silkie cross) (which we had a broody sit on and hatch) - so 19 in total over 4 years, although we only have 11 at the moment.

Chicken-keeping is addictive! :)

Hello,

I haven't kept hens before but as of today I'm the new owner of an Eglu cube! A local farm sells hybrid breeds and we are going to collect 3 on Saturday - planning to get a heritiage skyline, a bovan/white leghorn and either a bluebell or a speckledy - just can't decide so if anyone has experience of any of these it would be great to hear.

Simone

Did you come home with three or four? I didn't see your post earlier, but like all those hybrids and wouldn't be able to choose! I miss having a bluebelle and white hens, might get some more in the Spring. :D

Chucky1; hope your hens didn't read the typo! :D

Xthurso; very glad that you have found our forum at last, lovely to hear about your experience in chickenkeeping,yes it certainly is addictive. Welcome aboard! :D

Hi

This is my first posting !

My name is Phil and I have had my chickens for about 1 month, had a bit of a hard time with dupiaza who unfortunately died after contracting a GI ilness. Tried antibiotics but with no luck.

Looking forward to hearing from you all and hopefully gain lots of advice for the future

regards

Phil

Hiya,

Just registered today, as my family are getting sick of me going on about my girls (and boy)! My husband and I live in a semi-rural location though have an average sized garden which is divided in two for the chooks. It's definately been an education, and I have to be honest, I didn't think I would get addicted. I desperately would like to add to our brood though it wouldn't be fair because of the space (and lack of).

Originally we planned on getting 2 chickens for our daughter as she'd been asking for a pet for years (the cats weren't enough company for her). When we visited a breeder, I fell in love with the crowd of 8 week old chicks roaming around, and so we came away with 4 - Ginger, Ethel, Pauline and Barbara (Babs). Sadly Ginger passed away the next day. Then 6 weeks later we woke to the sound of crowing. Pauline was indeed a Paul, and Ethel was in fact Edward. Not knowing enough about cockerels and their behaviour, we rehomed Paul at an animal sanctuary and took 2 ex-battery girls from them in addition to giving a large donation. Dylis and Pauline were a pitiful site and apart from a few neck feathers were completely bald. They are gorgeous looking now, and are so friendly that I can't help smiling whenever I look at them. They lay enormous eggs too!

Babs is a strapping young lady, a light sussex who became so attached to Edward, our Barnevelder cockerel, that we decided to keep him. He doesn't make much noise and fortunately our neighbour is hard at hearing! We then got 2 silkies - one gold called Victoria and a champagne silkie called Ethel 2nd. They have suddenly gone broody since the cold weather. Victoria's egg was definately fertilised and we delight in candling her egg to see the chick growing. Looking forward to meeting the new addition and hope all goes well. It's been the next best thing to expecting one of my own!

Looking forward to reading your posts!

hi we are new chicken keeper, we have three hybreds one white and two brown, beautiful girls, they get one great and very respectful of one another, settled in well to the Pink eglu, there enjoying the extra run which give them a huge space to roam in with lots of interesting things to search for, they are not bothered by the dog any more and seem very settled, not laying yet though

:D Hi

Got our Eglu Cube a few weeks ago now, so just wanted to check out the forums...We first got our 4 hybrids in March and had a traditional house and runs - really pleased with the cube, especially for cleaning purposes!

We have a bluebelle (Davina), a heritage skyline (heidi who lays pale blue eggs),a maran cuivre (winnie) and a bovans goldline (hettie)...I love them all! :D

Hello All,

I'm a very excited forum newbie.

After longing for an Eglu for months I finally took the plunge last week and my new purple classic arrived today. I currently have a small wooden coop but find it a real chore to keep sparkly clean and if we have another winter like the last one I'd be really concerned about my girls being toasty enough in it.

My new classic looks even better than I expected and I can't wait to move the girls in. We're away for the rest of the weekend so I'm going to wait until Monday when I can keep a close eye on proceedings.

I'm being really sad and can't help popping out with a torch to 'visit' my Eglu! I'm sure this is not normal behaviour!

I've browsed this forum many times and found it to be the font of all knowledge so it's good to finally join.

Wiggle39

Hi,

Our Eglu Go arrived this morning along with Georgina & Jemma (our sons George & Jem named them after themselves) and during the course of one short day they seem to have taken on some characteristics of their new owners. Georgina chatters non-stop and Jemma wouldn't go to bed!

The biggest surprise was just before bedtime Georgina laid her first egg with us, first day WOW, go girl!

I have to admit it was nice to watch them this afternoon and it certainly makes doing the washing up less tedious as I look out to the back garden.

Hi

We got our orange eglu classic on Sunday, complete with 4 lovely ladies (well we hope they are all ladies). I wanted to get an eglu for about a year, and finally decided that I had enough time to commit to looking after some chickens. I'm now peering out of the kitchen window every five minutes wondering what they are up to and if the weather was better I would just be sitting out there with them.

I took the kids out with me today to empty the dropping tray and have a "get to know the chickens" session, but it was a disaster, I spent 30 minutes trying to stop the kids from; chasing chickens/ poking chickens with sticks/ measuring chickens with measuring tape/ screaming at chickens/ locking the chickens back in the run again/ rolling in mud (he's only one and a half bless him). I'm sure it's going to get easier as we all settle in to a routine and everyone gets used to each other. I'm sure!

I've got loads of questions about whether i'm doing things right, so i'll probably be on this forum a lot!

Hi

My name is Nuala, my purple cube , 2 Gingernut Rangers and 1 Miss Pepperpot arrived on 1st November. One of them laid that very first day, I couldnt believe it! We had 1 or 2 eggs per day for the next week or so however for the last 10 days none of them have laid! They seem to be in good form, they are ranging around my small garden as I type this post. Actually they seemed to stop laying as soon as they gained their freedom after the first 5 days of being confined to the run. They are absolutely beautiful and I am trying not to be disappointed by the lack of eggs, I am more worried that they started laying and now they have stopped. Any guidance will be welcome!

Regards

Nuala

(cube purple)GNRGNRPP