Millie-Annie

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS. INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Hi Tracy, I'm getting the chickens from a local place so I'll choose on the day with their advice. My only plan is to get three different ones so that I can tell them apart!! Trying to think of names at the moment - not keen on the family's choice of Arnie and Rambo!

Hi Maggie, I get that message too - You are not authorised to define a signature. Is it because we are newbies??

Hi, I found that once I'd posted about 5 times I was then able to edit my signature!

No, my chickens haven't arrived yet and in the meantime I've upgraded the order from a classic and 2 chickens to a cube and 4 chickens....I don't plan on getting caught out once the obsession bites :wink: But just a few more days and I'll be having to get up early just like the rest of you *yawn*

Welcome to all the fellow newbies too :)

Until about 6 weeks ago I had never given a thought to getting chickens. Then I think after watching the Edwardian Farm on the BBC I saw their chickens and it became a little obsessive for me after that. :D That seems to be common though.

So, I got thinking and planned on turning an old dog kennel into the coop and then build a run onto it. I was influenced a lot by the ones I saw on www.backyardchickens.com. In retrospect those are all quite grand compared to what was really needed. Anyway, I got to work. The kennel was originally 3 meters by about 1.5 meters but hasn't been used in years.

Due to lack of knowledge on my part it has ended up bigger than planned but it just means I can get more chickens than I originally planned I guess. :) Here's a link to the construction and a few from the end: https://picasaweb.google.com/mnwickens/ChickenCoopConstruction?authkey=Gv1sRgCNL6-tH7hfDjLQ&feat=directlink

I tried to make it using the ideas and recommendations I found on this site and elsewhere.

The chickens came from a farm that belongs to a friend of my dad's. He's downsizing and I've ended up with, from what he said, the best 6 he had. Three were laying when they arrived 2 days ago and the other three have not yet started.

Anyway, we're in Berkshire and love having them so far. We're trying to be a little self-sufficient, so, we've got the eggs, now to work on getting the vegetable plot and fruit trees going.

I guess this shouldn't be too long so I'll end it there. :)

Hi Everyone, been browsing the forum and thought i would join. I'm Chickadee62 from wiltshire i have 4 ex batts named Hatty, Margo, Dotty and Bonny, I have had them for nearly 5 weeks, they are such a joy to watch, and seeing them improve everyday. My OH has converted our shed for them and made up some nest boxes, which i find easier to clean & poop Scoop. Just want to say i enjoy reading many topics on the forum, and lots of good advise.

Hi All, many thanks for your advice regarding altering my signature. I emailed Barbara at omlet and she confirmed that you need to post a few messages before you can alter your signature, this is to help prevent spam. Hi tjanddpj, I bought my chickens from a local chicken farm in Thorndon, Suffolk.

Hello to you all

Just spent a couple of hours tidying the Eglu & re filling the bark run while the ladies had a wander about the garden finding worms. I have to keep my Golden Retreiver on a lead when the chooks are out though, he is only 13 months old and everything is a game, he chases them & i would hate him to hurt them, just hope he calms down!

Tracy (pink eglu)PP Doris, GNR Mabel, GNR Nellie !egg! Lots of!!

Good Evening all :D

On saturday as a surprise birthday present from my boyfriend and family i am now the proud owner of a green cube. I have just bought 2 Lohman Browns and next week will be getting an amberlink when its ready. I am also going to add to the "flock" a couple of ex batts, but there is a bit of wait for them.

I am really eggcited to keep chickens. *groan*

Sammi

Hi everyone!

After recently moving to the country, my hubby and I have decided to fulfil a lifelong dream and keep some chickens. We've been eyeing the Cube and are hopefully going to have a look at one in the flesh (thanks to Mrs Webmuppet) before we buy.

We're probably going to get some Buff Orpingtons and possibly some Light Sussex hens. This morning we nipped to The Hen House in Thorndon and they had some lovely hens there, I so wish we could have taken some home today lol.

Looking forward to having a good read of the forum (when my 8-month old son gives me 5 minutes peace) and getting to know the lingo etc. We are already avid bird lovers having kept parrots for over 10 years, but this is going to be an exciting new experience for us.

Hi, I'm a new member from Northumberland. we're hoping to get a classic eglu and 3 chickens, and make a permanent area of the garden for them on woodchip. My two children are very excited and have already chosen two names (cornflake and hetty feather _ a J.Wilson book - dd is addicited....)

this forum is such a great read, although you can spend hours on it and not getting anything else done.....

Welcome Teacake,

I also have my Eglu classic on woodchip, at the end of the garden next to the kids trampoline!! The chooks seem happy there and reward us with many eggs. I am sure you and your children will love keeping chickens, they are such good fun.

Tracy. (pink eglu)PP Doris GNR Mabel GNR Nellie :D

Hi to everyone, I am a newbie to the forum and to chickens. I have 6 Bantams, 2 Pekins, 2Light sussex and 2 Wyandottes, all broodies I know!! and not the best layers but I love them anyway. I have found the forum so useful already and the advice is brilliant. One of my chooks has scaly leg and I just logged on here and found the solution and she is doing much better already. I hope one day I will be able to give others some good advice but fear that may be a way off yet. I have an Eglu cube and am so pleased with it, such a simple design and so easy to clean and my girls seem very happy in it. Thanks so much for the help you have all given me already!!

hi i am new. i have ordered a stand alone cube to go in our wir to replace the wooden one as i am so fed up with the red mite. i am a bit worried that i have done the right thing as it was so expensive!!!! please put my mind at rest , am a bit concerened that it wont fit in the wir as although it is 33 foot long the width is 5.5 foot. i think we may have to cut a bit of a hole in the wire to use the handle pull.... the lengths we go to to please our chickens

Hiya!

Well, after years of wanting to keep chicken we got our brand new hens last Saturday and I feel like I've just become a mummy again !!!! Is it normal to feel so chuffed and excited to get hens ha ha!!! Everyone in work is talking to me as if I've had a baby :-)

We have now got Jemima 24 weeks (Buff Orpington)...I'm amazed at how huge she is :-D

and Dotty 20 weeks(Lavender Pekin) she is a flippin nutter!

They are both so tame and I'm so happy.

Me and the kids keep running out in our p.j's to see if we have eggs every morning...but I know they will take a while to settle in etc.

Oh, by the way I'm Elaine ! I'm sure I'll speak to you all soon xx

Hiya!

Well, after years of wanting to keep chicken we got our brand new hens last Saturday and I feel like I've just become a mummy again !!!! Is it normal to feel so chuffed and excited to get hens ha ha!!! Everyone in work is talking to me as if I've had a baby :-)

We have now got Jemima 24 weeks (Buff Orpington)...I'm amazed at how huge she is :-D

and Dotty 20 weeks(Lavender Pekin) she is a flippin nutter!

They are both so tame and I'm so happy.

Me and the kids keep running out in our p.j's to see if we have eggs every morning...but I know they will take a while to settle in etc.

How do I set up all my chicken info and profile pic?

Oh, by the way I'm Elaine ! I'm sure I'll speak to you all soon xx