Millie-Annie

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS. INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Hi my name is john and im new to chickens my chucks are now 20 weeks old (no eggs yet) and they seem to be very happy at the moment these were suppose to be a bit of a chrissy present to my self and any other money i got to spend and they should have arrived in april that was the plan. but i went on ebay bought an eglu and the 3 chucks arrived a week later :D:D:D

john

(green eglu)

(white chicken) Rose light sussex

(white chicken) Sara Jane (sj) light sussex

PP Martha black rock

Hi I am also new to chickens.I have a omlet go !gogreen! which i find great to use and clean,i have three girls which i purchased along with my go from cambridge poultry ,the guy was realy helpful and the girls are fab .I had them two weeks and they started laying and haven't stopped yet ,that was four weeks ago !

I was just wondering if anyone on the site lives in or near Little Steeping, Lincolnshire? We moved here in April and it would be nice to get to know some like minded people - ie who keep chickens, bees and or who are involved with music.

I have three chickens called Gladys Pugh (she looks just like her - i swear), Matilda and Madonna (Madge to her friends) We also have a Border Terrier called Ziggy Stardust and 5 hives of bees.

Hi,

My name is Brittany and I am new here. I'm from a small village outside of Liverpool, Nova Scotia, Canada. I decided to join your site instead of a Canadian one because that one didn't seem to have much traffic, I'd rather be part of a busier forum like this one :)

I joined because I ALWAYS have questions about my chickens. I got them as chicks in April and often go looking for help! I have a Rhode Island Red rooster and two RIR hens. I also have three or four (I say this because one now appears to be male...) Silver Laced Wyandottes. Wish I could figure out what is going on there. Looks like one is most likely male. Besides my chickens I have an 11 month old Golden Retriever, a four year old cat and a 7 month old kitten. I'm a professional photographer and my husband is currently attending university again.

Well that's me! I look forward to chatting with all of you!

GNR

Hello welcome, there are other photographers on here. Its great we'll see lots of pictures of your chickens. :D Think you better start with a picture of your silver laced Wyandotte. See you over in chicken section. :D and in Nesting Box you can stop us all whinging about the cold weather over here :lol:

Haha! Surprisingly we have barely had snow at all this year! But that's just where I am, I live right next to the ocean, so it isn't AS cold as some places in Canada. I hope we get some snow before Christmas. My chickens will sure be surprised, they've never seen it before, nor has my kitten!

Edit:

I will have to photograph the silverlaced tomorrow. I only have a picture of it from 6 weeks ago and it looked more female then. Now it (who was originally named Mia) has bigger wattles and more shaggy feathers. The really confusing thing is that it has no spurs and doesn't crow. Whereas my RIR is starting to get his spurs, crows, and mates with the hens. He also tries to mate with the sexless chicken as well but the sexless chicken has also done the mating dance to the hens! Only two of my chickens are laying so far (I expect it's the lack of light, etc... I've been told in more Northern regions, hens might not lay until the spring after they are hatched) so that adds to the confusion!

Hi I am new too the names Marggie I am waiting for my 2 hens Dora and Bettie to be delivered on the 20th Jan. I am really excited but a little nervous as I have never had hens before. Happy to receive any helpful tips or hints. I am wondering how the cats will cope with them, although I have been told that they generally get on o.k. does anyone have any ideas about how to introduce them all? Also are there any training sessions nearby?

Cheers

M

Hi Marggie, welcome to the forum. This forum is great for help and advice so don't be too nervous. :wink: I'm waiting to get my chickens too. I'm sure your cat will get on okay with the chickens after some getting used to them, just keep an eye on your cat... chickens are pretty good at sticking up for themselves. What are you housing you chickens in?

so my first post, been waiting to get my omlet house for almost a year, and today i ordered it as the 12 days of christmas offer finally came the eglu with £100 off,

i am so so excited, i love our 2 peking bantoms and soon they will have a nice new purple omlet eglu to live in just have to wait a week for delivery.

its a shame omlet do not design a duck house our 6 ducks would love that.

Hi Marggie,

We've had our hens for 4 months or so now, 3 GNRGNRPP in an Omlet Go !gogreen! . They have been soooo easy to care for, no problems at all.

We have 3 cats, and a dog and introductions have been surprisingly smooth, I didn't do anything special to introduce the cats to them. The hens have free range time in the afternoons when they have the run of the whole garden, and the cats don't bother them at all and one of our cats is a real huntress, the hens are just too big and bossy for them (I would be more careful if you are getting a small breed such as Pekins though).

The dog likes to join in with them especially when they have their afternoon scatter of corn and apple, etc, I think she thinks she's a chicken too!! Occasionally she wants to play with the hens but they soon tell her off if she gets too boisterous, they are very good at protecting themselves, and I can leave them all out together unsupervised.

Ours have become very tame, Teabag in particular loves a cuddle!! They come when they're called even if out of sight, they're hilarious, they come sprinting over to you!! Very entertaining :lol:

The Haynes chicken manual is a great book covering everything you ever need to know. It was reccommended to me as I was a beginner too, available on Amazon.

Good luck with their arrival and enjoy!!

Hi Everyone,

I've been looking at this forum for ages now and finding out lots of useful information, but thought it was about time I joined and introduced myself.

Last Christmas(2009) we decided we wanted to get some chickens, so we started the 'chicken fund' to save for an eglu cube. The children put in Christmas money from their grandparents, some birthday money went in too and we started a collection of £2 coins. We were doing really well and I was telling my friend all about in November and she told me that her Mum has an empty Eglu classic and she'd ask her if she wanted to sell it. Well unbelievably and very generously she gave it to us for free :D We got it on the Monday, phoned the BWHT and got the hens the following Saturday (just happened to be a release date that week in Great Totham, Essex) only 20minutes drive from where we live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so excited and nervous all at once, I ordered the run extension to go on the 2m we already had and that came the following week. They laid 18 eggs the first week!

Well you know what happened next, I bet you can guess :lol: We absolutely adored them. Our girls, Nettie, Violet, Clover and Buttercup became so special and we couldn't believe how much we loved them. I was like mother hen, I've never spent so much time in the garden in winter! I lay awake during the very cold spell, just hoping they were ok. My husband phoned from work to check that the girls were ok!!!!!!

We still had the money so when we say the 12days of Christmas offer we just hoped that the cube would have money off, how delighted were we! It's arriving on Monday, a brand new purple cube, I am so excited, I keep looking at the photos on the website.

We are going to keep the original orange eglu classic as more ex-batts are being released soon (we haven't got a date yet). I'm thinking perhaps 4 more! Trying to convince my husband, but he's the one whose already started talking about walk in runs :lol:

I look forward to getting to know you all on the forum and talking chickens, my friends all think I'm mad! Although I was talking to the Mum of one of my daughter's friends and told her all about the eglus and now she's ordered a purple cube too!!!!! So we can talk chickens!

Hi All, I live in the North of France with my partner kevin. We have just bought our first two chickens Gaunny (Gaunyersel hen) and Danny (Dinyfretyersel hen) both sais with a strong Scottish accent! Will post some pics later. I've just bought a new covered sandpit and some bags of play sand. The pit has two doors which close over the top ("bunker" style) but I'm concerned that the sand is wet, will it dry out for the chickens to dust bathe in?

Hi, we had been looking into keeping chickens for a few years, but when I won an eglu on ebay just before Christmas are 'looking' became owning!!! We've just rescued 3 ladies from Little Hen Resue in Norfolk Nutmeg (ex-battery hen) and 2 bantams Black pepper and Saffron. We only picked the up on Sunday and have 3 eggs already! I've been looking into what breed the 2 Bantams are, I'm thinking 1 is a Black Leghorn and the other looks a bit like a Buff Sussex, but after looking online tonight it may be a Sulmtaler, as they were wild they are probably not pure breeds though. When I learn how to i will try to put pictures on and it would be great I you could help me find out what they are!!!