Millie-Annie

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS. INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Hi all my name is Lucinda! I pretty much love anything with feathers I currently have 24 chickens and 5 indian runner/cross runner ducks. The chickens are all a mixture ex battery hens,welsummers,bovan goldlines,red mottled leghorns and lavender leghorns. Leghorns are my favourite breed.

Right thats the birds sorted now a bit about me im 20 years old, a vegetarian, I love growing my own fruit and veg and would like to be quite self sufficent.

Im hoping to meet some like minded people on here and get help when I need it :)

Hello, I'm Jill and I'm completely new to keeping chickens...(sounds like a confession at an AA meeting or something!)

As I don't have access to a car very often I have ordered my Eglu and chickens to be delivered - it's more exciting than waiting for Christmas at the moment, but I'll just have to be patient for a while longer yet...

I have two cats, and they like to hunt occasionally. Will the chickens really be able to hold their own against them once they've all met and settled in, or should I always be extremely careful? I tend to err on the side of caution, but it would be lovely if we could all relax in the garden together. I'd really appreciate any tips anyone can give me, thank you so much!

Hello Jill and welcome! :D:D

Omlet advise you leave the hens locked in the run for the first five days for them to acclimatise to their new surroundings. If your cats have any ideas, they won't be able to get at the hens. A sharp peck on the nose through the bars will usually be enough to scare a cat.

Omlet hens are pretty big, if you were getting bantams, then a cat might prove more of a risk.

Hi everyone, I have just ordered my eglu classic which arrives on Monday. Have never looked after chickens before. I am picking up the chickens next Saturday from our local supplier. We are getting two Pekin Bantams, a silky bantam and a Calderanger. My 2 year old daughter Millie is very excited and so is her mummy and grandad. Husband and Grandma not as excited but when they see millies face and our new chooks I am sure they will change their minds. Any tips for a newbee would be much appreciated.

I am having trouble in my profile to add a signature, any advice?

Maggie x

Hi All, I am new too !! My name is Tracy, very happily married to my lovely hubbie of 15 years, we have 3 lovely (most of the time) children, 1 totally bonkers golden retriver(13mths old), 2 cats (they hate the dog!) and i have 3 fab chickens all mine(i adore them!!!) but i do share the eggs. My life is always hectic, i work part time & full time in the house, i feel i am always chasing my tail, hate January (how many more days until pay day???!!) but do enjoy a relaxing soak in the bath at the end of the day with a huge glass of wine. XX

Sorry JillM, was so excited that you replied to my new msg that i never read your previous msg!! You will be really impresed with the service from Omlet, the chap who delivered my Eglu, extended run & 3 hens was a delight. He taught the children how to clip their wings, set up the Eglu really quickly & gave us lots of helpful advice. How many hens are you getting? Have you any other pets or children ? (just being nosey) I am sure you will love keeping chickens, it is so refreshing, my work colleagues think i am barmy but i am not bothered as it is me who can nip down the garden of a morning and collect a fresh, warm egg or 2 or 3 .........

Hello again Tracy :)

I have 2 hens on order but I'd like a third as well. I can't say I'm looking forward to the early mornings, but I'm sure the chickens will teach me to love it! :D

I have 3 children, but the youngest is 17 so they don't really count as chldren anymore. Pet wise we have 2 cats and a house full of various reptiles.

Welcome Seventiesboy. Hi Jill, just wondering if your hens have arrived yet? Can anyone else give me a little advice- my chickens have started to empty the clean straw from thenesting box in their Eglu so that it falls beneath the roosting bars. They still lay each day but has anyone any tips on how to prevent this?? I am having to use alot of straw each week! (pink eglu)GNRGNRPP

hi my name is ross im from leicester i have been keeping chickens for about 8 months now in my back garden i have a mixed bag/ 1 buff sussex cockerel /3 light sussex/ 3 lemon pekins/ 1 ausralorp/ 2 silkie x rhode island red.

iam hopin to start selling some chickens on here as i have just purchased an incubator and have 3 cooking in there now they will be buff sussex x light sussex if i dont have any joy on here i will start selling them at melton market fur and feather. some tips on selling on here would be very much appreciated thanks

ross.

Hi, I had a couple of chickens many years ago which unfortunately were taken by foxes (although never saw any foxes around). It's taken me 15 years to get over it but I'm now waiting excitedly for the arrival of 3 new girls and a hopefully, fox-proof Eglu Go next weekend. Looking forward to chatting to you all and I'm sure this forum will be able to answer the hundreds of questions I'm bound to have !

RG

Hi RG, Sorry to hear about your previous bad luck with the chickens, i am sure you will find the Eglu great in protecting your new chickens. We have alot of urban foxes so i only let my ladies wander freely when i am in the garden, i have read that dogs are a deterent to foxes & mine does bark alot at the back fence so not sure if a fox is lurking. What chickens are you hoping for? I found the chap from Omlet to be fab & 1 of my ladies laid on the first night we had her!! Good Luck, Tracy (pink eglu)PP Doris, GNR Mabel, GNR Nellie

My hens arrived on Tuesday and our first egg arrived Wednesday morning from Charlotte our calderanger and then later that day a much smaller egg from Josh our pekin bantam, my 2 year old was very excited and so was grandad who also turned 65 years the same day - no excuse to forget the first day our family had fresh eggs from our wonderful hens. Millie has named the hens after her cousins, even though 2 of her cousins are boys :-) I have tried to add my chicks etc to the edit my signature in the control panel but I get the following message: You are not authorised to define a signature. Can anyone help.