Millie-Annie

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS. INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Great thanks! I'm doing this whilst my 2 little hobbits (also known as my darling children) are jumping and dancing around me watching The Wizard of Oz so...i've tried to adjust my signature, lets hope I've done it right. If not I will do it, in peace, tonight ha ha!

Many thanks

Elaine

Welcome to the forum Elaine, I have learnt so much already, I only got my four hybrids on 8 Feb, no egs yet, they are 20 weeks old on Tuesday.

Hi - I have just joined and am in the process of ensuring chickens would be happy here. I have never had or even held a chicken before but we have room and 15 children very excited at the prospect of chickens to help care for (I childmind so the children are not all mine !!!)

I am looking at buying the classic or go but keep changing my mind about each one after reading different reviews, hopefully we will have 2 chickens soon to join the dog, 2 guinea pigs, fish & 5 budgies....

Hello, I am looking to purchase an Eglu in thenot too distant future, I would like two chucks... just been reading up on legalities of keeping chucks but it looks like it wont be a problem :)

Cant wait to get started, just need to save up!

Lindsay x

Hi there! My name is Jack and I have 3 Pekin Bantams which I am loving! Have only had them a few weeks but just love there antics and the eggs too. Have posted a question in the eggs section if anyone could help.

Thanks

Jack :)

Hello, I am looking to purchase an Eglu in thenot too distant future, I would like two chucks... just been reading up on legalities of keeping chucks but it looks like it wont be a problem :)

Cant wait to get started, just need to save up!

Lindsay x

Welcome Lindsay and Jack :D Any saving up will be well worth it. You won't look back once you have some feathered friends.

Hello

I am a chook virgin. I have (after many months) persuaded my other half that two chickens would be a fantastic idea. He has also agreed to put up the dosh for my little hen house.

I only want two (we don't have much room and that will be about the right amount of eggs for us). I've been recommended Welsummers, but I would like other's opinions, please.

I would like them to be pets, but I also have four (yes four) cats. They will live largely in the coop and run, but when I am around (most days as I work from home) they can have the run of the garden - cats permitting. If I think they will be attacked, I'd rather keep them safe.

Can anyone recommend a nice docile breed, please? I would like them to become friends and not just egg producers but on the other hand, I would like them to be big enough to see the cats off (the cats are used to largish birds as we live opposite a lake, but anything of coot size downwards is "lunch").

Fantastic forum though. BM x

Hello forum,

The wife thinks I'm mad but we got our first chucks from the farm which is closing in Silverstone last weekend.

The girls have ripped up part of the lawn, laid eggs everyday and wind the dog up a treat.

The family have all got involved in looking after them, it is great that we all share this common interest.

I have (after many months) persuaded my other half that two chickens would be a fantastic idea. He has also agreed to put up the dosh for my little hen house.

I only want two (we don't have much room and that will be about the right amount of eggs for us). I've been recommended Welsummers, but I would like other's opinions, please.

I would like them to be pets, but I also have four (yes four) cats. They will live largely in the coop and run, but when I am around (most days as I work from home) they can have the run of the garden - cats permitting. If I think they will be attacked, I'd rather keep them safe.

Can anyone recommend a nice docile breed, please? I would like them to become friends and not just egg producers but on the other hand, I would like them to be big enough to see the cats off (the cats are used to largish birds as we live opposite a lake, but anything of coot size downwards is "lunch").

Start a thread in the main chicken area and you'll get loads of suggestions from us all as for many of us the next best thing to getting new chooks is recommending that others get chooks. The Breed section on Omlet will give you lots of ideas too. Orpingtons might be nice being big softies but they do go broody rather a lot I think. The person I got my first chooks from had cats and they all just pootled along together. I also had an aunt who had a tabby cat and an ex-bat that were inseperable friends and went everywhere together.

Just realised I've been posting for the last few days & I haven't introduced myself. I live in Plymouth and have just got 2 chickens mainly for the children as an introduction to pet keeping for the family. We have a large garden but are very urban too. I've a wooden coop and got an Omlet walk in netting area. I'm loving reading everyones tales and feel that we could probably be home to more chooks so watch this space (but don't tell the DH).

Would love to hear from other chicken lovers in South Devon.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. My name is Lorna and I'm 31, married with 3 amazing kids. David age 11 at the end of this month, Caitlin age 2 and Andrew age 1.

I've been considering keeping chickens for a number of years now, however, my husband thinks it's only been the past few weeks! Shhhh don't tell him. My son has been on at us to get him a pet but I have allergies which means anything with fur is a big no. I put this with my desire to keep chickens and hey presto, managed to get together with one of my husbands friends, who keeps chickens, and got her to give him a little nudge in the right direction too.

We currently have 12 Rhode Island Red hatching eggs in the incubator, this is day 2 of incubation and all seems to be going well with the incubator.

I have very vague memories of having chickens when I was a child, which was confirmed when I told my mum that we had hatching eggs in the incubator. My father also kept pigeons right up until the day he died on 26th November 2003. I was always very involved in the care of the pigeons and cannot imagine that keeping chickens will be any more difficult than this. Since I won't have a huge 20ft x 15ft loft to clean out I'm expecting it to be a little easier to care for chickens.

My garden is 20ft x 30ft approx, half grass and half slabs fenced in with a 6ft fence all around.

I decided on Rhode Island Reds after researching into the different breeds. The information I found on them said they were good with kids but will let them know if they're getting annoyed, fairly resilliant to disease, good layers even during the colder months and most importantly they're a good bird for beginners.

I love hearing about other peoples experiences and never say no to friendly advice.

I will say now though that I've had problems on other forums, people being nasty etc and I would prefer not to have to go through that again.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Lorna X

Welcome :D Don't worry about people being nasty on this forum, everyone is so nice,friendly and so helpful :D The moderators get rid of all the nasty people too!! I'm fairly new to keeping hens too (got ours in sept. 2010) and they are brilliant! Can't imagine life without them now :oops::lol: I'm also allergic to fur so we went for hens (a) because I won't be allergic, and (b) cheaper than a dog! ...how wrong was I :anxious:

Good luck with the eggs hope all goes well :D

Sam :)

Congratulations on starting your chicken adventure again. Your kids will have such fun watching them hatch and grow but guess it will be hard if you have boys that have to go.

Rhode Island Reds are beautiful chickens but I think you have to handle them a lot to get them friendly. Can't see that being a problem with your little ones :D

hello! oooh hatching your own chicks sounds very exciting, hope it goes well! I'm sure you will find everyone here really friendly, I've certainly had some great advice so far, and I dont even have my chickens yet.

Oh yes very very exciting, I don't know who's more excited though me or the kids! lol

(b) cheaper than a dog! ...how wrong was I :anxious:

I'm sure if you took into account yearly vaccinations and injuries requiring vet treatment for a dog the chickens would be cheaper. The last time I took a dog to the vet was over 10yr ago for glass in it's paw £86 just to put it to sleep for the surgery! It was well over £200 by the time they added an overnight stay etc. I'd hate to think what the prices would be now!

we also got chickens as indoor pets

Oh no, mine will be out in the garden once they are old enough. Hubby would not let me keep them inside. I do however have an old coal cellar attched to the house with an electricity feed running into it which I will use for the chickens when the weather gets really bad.

Rhode Island Reds are beautiful chickens but I think you have to handle them a lot to get them friendly. Can't see that being a problem with your little ones :D

I'm sure I'll manage to get my husband handling them at some point too.

Thank you everyone, you really are a friendly bunch. It's good to have someone to chat to about the chickens that's not going to roll their eyes and say "here she goes again" as it's all I ever talk about at the moment.

Hi and welcome to the forum. My hens are kept in a garage and seem to be doing ok. I plan to have an outside pen for them by the time summer arrives, already have it but just needs putting together.

I'm currently persuading them that being outside is good, they are very nervous still but they have just started laying, I had my first egg yesterday and another one this morning.

I also was brought up keeping chickens, ducks, geese, rabbits, guinea pigs, dogs and cats... Got chickens on 8th February after not having any for at least 30 years!!

Welcome to the forum, I have found everyone to be most helpful and friendly. :clap:

Hi i have just joined the site having been told about it by my friend i bought my first ever chickens last sunday 4 of them, so dont have much knowledge in keeping them so i hope i can learn alot of you guys as i am over the moon with my new addition to my family cheers martin.