Millie-Annie

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS. INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Hi there,

Me and my husband moved into a Derbyshire village last year and after much preparation we collected our four fabulous (if a little dishevelled) ex-battery hens from York on Saturday. I've been afraid one might die after hearing the stories, but so far so good, although I'm watching their every move. If one of them so much as sits down or closes her eyes, my heart skips a beat. I never knew it would be so stressful for me, never mind our poor little hens! So far we've had 6 eggs. My chickens are called Gloria, Gretchen, Ba-Ba (My grandson named her) and Marilyn. I'm already smitten and spend hours running up and down the garden to see what they're up to. I'm back in work tomorrow and I'm dreading leaving them. It's been raining here ever since we brought them home. They seem quite happy to potter around getting muddy, but they do have some shelter provided by the trees. Here's to a long and happy chicken/mum relationship. I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions of you experienced chicken-keepers over the next few months!

Bye for now

Chris

Hi there

My name is Kathleen and I recently joined this Forum as I am looking into getting some chickens and loved this very user friendly and informative website by Omlet. We live in a semi detached house in a semi rural location in Essex and we have a nice corner of the garden under the Lilac tree which has sleepers all around it and currently filled with bark which was going to be used as decking area, however I am thinking it would be perfect area for chickens! I am a Primary teacher, have a 2 year old son, a border collie and 2 guineapigs and my other half works away in the week so things can get quite lonely! So it would be good to get to know people and get some advice on the whole world of chicken keeping. I would be particularly interested to hear opinions on keeping chickens on a permanent base such as woodchip as we wont be able to keep moving the run-rather let them free on the garden when we are there. And would love to hear if any of you have Bantams and whether they make good chickens for a small garden. Anyway enough of my rambling, look forward to getting to know people! :-)

Hello Kathleen :D Welcome to the forum!

Your garden sounds really nice :D I looooove Border Collies! :D

A lot of people here keep their chickens on woodchips and in a permanent location, myself included :) . If you have any queries or anything like that make sure you come over to the appropriate section of the forum and post about it, we're all happy to help! :D

Welcome to the forum Kathleen :D

Sounds good to me too. Bantams would be great for a small garden, but you might get broodies and not many eggs so might want to start with hybrids.

I'm sure however many you start with, you'll soon want more! :lol:

Thanks Lewis and ChickenLover. I have spent far too long on here already!! Yes I have been reading up about some of the bantams getting broody-although been reading on here about the Sussex Bantam too which seems rather nice. Please feel free anyone to pm me with pearls of wisdom although no doubt you will see me on a lot of the Forum threads soon anyway asking lots of annoying questions! Lewis, I see you are studying Vet med at Aber? I nearly went there but ended up here in Essex at Writtle, I did a degree in Equine Science. Now I teach Primary children-go figure!

Nice to meet you all :-)

Kathleen

I'm Jen, and I'm about to get an Eglu classic & some hens. The eglu with run (2-year-old, previously-loved green model) is arriving tonight, run extension on Friday, and we're going to pick out some hens from Widgets Farm (http://www.widgits.co.uk/) on Saturday. Yay! We may get some ex-batts in future but we want an 'easy' start to our chicken-keeping, so we're getting some healthy, well-adjusted, well-handled POLs for now.

My partner Richard and I have never kept hens before but we've been reading & researching for a few months now, trying to decide on coop/breed/numbers etc. Now we're finally looking forward to actually getting the ladies this weekend.

We live in London, but we're lucky to be in a small building with only 8 flats and a HUGE communal garden. Neighbours hardly use it and they are all happy with the idea, and looking forward to some egg-sharing. I'm a tad nervous about having them in a shared garden but hopefully all will go well. We do have one slightly barmy and unpredictable neighbour but we'll keep her sweet, and I'm sure the chickens will win everyone over :-)

I have some (okay, quite a few!) questions but I'll save them for the chicken-keeping forum.

Nice to 'meet' you all.

Jen

Welcome to the forums Paul + Jen :D

Lewis, I see you are studying Vet med at Aber? I nearly went there but ended up here in Essex at Writtle, I did a degree in Equine Science. Now I teach Primary children-go figure!

I'm doing Animal Science at Aber :D We're in with the Equines for a few modules so now I know who to ask when I'm stuck ;):lol:

Still don't know what job I'll end up with ... hopefully chickens rather than children, haven't got the patience! :lol:

hi everyone, my name is tracey. i have recently got 4 black sultans, 1 boy/3girls, the girls all lay well and now 2 are sitting on nests...so ill need lots of advice at this trying time! i have never had chooks before but i love them theyre sooooooo funny and friendly!

Hi Omleteers,

Just joined the forum awhile ago, although I made a few posts elsewhere.... I didn't see this topic before today.

Like all the newbies here I am happy to have chickens, in need of information---and I have found lot's of good advice here--- so thank you to those who post your wonderful answers....

We live in Texas in the USA. Have 1 cat, 2 Australian Cattle Dogs, numerous 'Beefmaster' cattle and three CHICKENS!

And yes, I am obsessive about the chickens.

Hello members... hope to encounter you in the topics on the site as time goes by. :dance:

Hi Plum,

Australian Cattle Dog is a breed, developed in Australia. They combined a herding dog with the native Dingo to be able to withstand the brutal climate. They supposedly have some Dalmation in their lineage too.

Our dogs are about 30 and 35 pounds, strong, compact and close to the ground so when they nip at the heels of a cow, and the cow kicks, the kick misses and goes over their heads. They are famous for their intelligence. Other names for them are 'Blue Heelers' and 'Queensland Heelers'.