Millie-Annie

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS. INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Hi Joined a while back ..and just got my girls. I have 4 hens 2 x black rocks and a couple or ginger nuts.. They are just starting to lay so size and frequency and depositing places are a little hit and miss but I think they are getting the hang of it. It's strange how your Husband "wants nothing to do with the Chickens" before you get them and then as soon as they arrive becomes the doating dad again? (well mine did!) He's out in the garden all the time...lifting up plant pots so they can get the bugs and slugs....And the chooks follow us everywhere (I think for treats or plant pot lifting!) but we can pick them up and give them a stroke( no problems) and they jump up and site on your lap if your not quick enough, I can't belive how tame they become and how quickly.

We are both so happy we got them... I would put some chicken smiles up but I am not autherised to have a signature (not sure why?) so can't ..sorry.

Hi everyone

My name's Gary and I have just swapped from a wooden coop to an eglu and the girls are loving it! I have two speckledys and they have never enjoyed a house swap so much. I wish I had room for a few more :-(

by the way how many posts do i need before i can add an avatar etc.

Hiya.

I'm Karen (or Kaz, which I prefer) and live in Fife.

We're going to be getting some chickens and are in the process of deciding on our Eglu, what we do with the back garden etc. But we're going to be rescuing some girls, so will be waiting until the spring as they will have few feathers and it's not fair to get them just before the winter. It gets very cold here!

But we're really excited and we visited a friend with chickens last night and could have brought them home with us (the chickens, not the friends!!). I fell in love with her Rhode Island Red!

I hope that by joining here I will be able to get lots more information and probably ask lots of questions before we finally have our own chooks.

Look forward to being part of the community xx

Hello, My name is Patricia. I have just retired this past Feb. Ever since I was a little girl collecting eggs from my great grandfather farm when we would visit him in Kentucky in the summer I have wanted chickens. I found out we could have two hens per household and that they had to be confined. I have a friend that had black copper morans(approx 20 wks) and I purchased two from her and also purchased a isa brown for my neighbors grandchildren. I looked and looked for what type of coop to get and came upon the omlet site and knew I had to have one. It said it could hold two to four hens. The actual coop does but now I find out the run is not adequate for three hens. I can't get the run extension until Oct . The company told me it would not be available in the states until then, so come Oct I am getting it. None of them have started to lay but it will not be long. So far I have really enjoyed reading all the info that is up here. What a nice group of people.

hi im new to chicken keeping have got eglu cube. Already made mistakes will be asking questions .Have got five bantams four pekin one wyandotte Also one buff sussex one maran.I always wanted to keep chickens have finally made it! i think it could be addictive . Bantams are called victoria sponge,treacle tart,chocolate muffin, banbury and eccles - so you can see my other addiction ! I am now retired have waited a long time for chickens I am enjoying them very much looking forward to chatting to other chicken lovers

Hi,

Am new to this forum and new to chickens. We have 3 chickens that we got from a battery farm. We built our own coop and run which i am very proud off. We only got our chickens 2 days ago and on their first day they laid us two eggs as a thank you and today we got another 2 as well. I hope that this will be the start of something wonderful.

Mine is called Gracie and my boys have called theirs Anakin and Harry (technically not girls names but hey ho)

Really excited about looking after the chickens and growing the flock in time.

Thanks

Maria

Hi im suzie and im new to eglu`s and chickens.

I have worked in kennels also two pet and wildlife rescue centres and im now a landscape gardener and love being outside in all weathers. I love all animals and plants. I have 3 dogs, parrot lovebirds, rabbit, fish indoors and outside and now looking into keeping pet chickens.

If anyone has any good advice on eglu cubes and how to keep chickens i would love your advice.

Thanks xx

I'm Dandelion - I've had an eglu for almost two years, and have two rangers Martha and Mary. It's only just recently as Mary has been ill that I've realised what a useful forum this is, so have come to say hello! I work in a school in Hereford so my hens can free range when I'm at home in the lovely school holidays (which are just about to come to an end....)

Hi, another newbie joining today.

I have 3 hens, all hybrids, they are full of character. At the moment I have a shed with a large walk in run for them, but I want to close the shed off and have an eglu for them, not decided which yet. I have had a bad summer with red mite, will look on the forum for suggestions, I look forward to reading all the advice on here. :-)

Hi,

I'm a new chicken 'Mummy' and only had hens since May this year. 1 x Orpington Bantam & 5 x Pekins. They love their Eglu Classic but I am seriously considering up-grading to a Cube. Because a) It has wheels and I like to move my girls to a new spot every week and b) Its high off the ground, better for me. I would have liked to have visited the new Eglu store to have a good look at the Cube, but see it isn't opened yet. Do I buy a cube unseen now or wait until October when the store opens but miss the 10% discount?

hello am new to this site. I was wondering if I could have replies regarding the use of an eglu for outdoor use for guinea pigs. I live in the north east of scotland where it gets pretty cold I have the use of a lean too garage and greenhouse or a large indoor unit where they could stay in adverse weather. Am leaning towards wooden units, plus run but it's very difficult to imagine eglu size, etc. as photos dont give you right perspective - is there anyone out there in my area where i could visit to see one. Many thanks Lynda from Lossiemouth Moray Scotland.

hello am new to this site. I was wondering if I could have replies regarding the use of an eglu for outdoor use for guinea pigs. I live in the north east of scotland where it gets pretty cold I have the use of a lean too garage and greenhouse or a large indoor unit where they could stay in adverse weather. Am leaning towards wooden units, plus run but it's very difficult to imagine eglu size, etc. as photos dont give you right perspective - is there anyone out there in my area where i could visit to see one. Many thanks Lynda from Lossiemouth Moray Scotland.

Hello Lynda :D Nice to meet you.

You can find a list of Eglus that you can visit **here**. :D

Hello I`m new to the forum and to hen keeping.

We adopted 3 bantums yesterday....a Pekin called Doris and two Wyandottes called Mabel and Iris. They seem to be settling.

I also have to daughters, a one year old border collie cross ( Hestia)....who is most amused by the hens....and two 7 week old kittens...called Jethro and Frodo. We also have a new house and new jobs all round so its all go here at the moment.

I am so excited that I finally have some hens, but am worried I won`t do whats best for them....which is why I`m here....for your experience and advice.

Hi my names Karen I am quite new to chicken keeping,I got my girls earlier this year (3 bluebelles and 2 light sussex)Tikka,Nando,Kentucky,Mayo and Nugget and then a couple of weeks ago I accidently lol bought 2 bantams (ones a pekin and the other a beautiful beige with a black tail) BBQ and Paxo.I have been using a wooden house but im trying to convinse my beloved that I need a eglu for hygeine,ease of cleaning and that they are just marvelous reasons lol.

I am really enjoying keeping my girls and they love eating what the kids dont so have really cut down food waste,my 5 kids think that they are cool and love sitting with them instead of watching the tv or playing pc so thats a bonus :D .

Thanks for listening to me jabber on about my girls but they are so adorable and make me smile so much.

Karen x x x