Millie-Annie

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS. INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Hello,

I'm new here so thought I'd introduce myself. Me and my wife currently have 2 very friendly ex battery hens GNR Barbara and Beryl GNR . In the past I have had around 30 chickens including; rhode island reds, perkins, japanese bantams, polands, ex batts and a couple of cross breeds, we also had 2 pekin ducks and a muscovy too. Now we're living in our own house we only have room for the two girls but hope to have more in the future. They are currently living in a eglu cube (green eglu) with 2 metres of run, they're also allowed some free range time when we're around. Apart from the chickens we also have three cats; Dexter, Oscar and Lola and a few reptiles.

Hoping to gain some good advise here and meet some like minded people :D

Good evening,

Just dropping in to "hello again" after a temporary absence following a "change in personal circumstances"

Starting over again with pretty purple Eglu and two girls - collected this afty :dance:

If you remember me from Somerset, it would be lovely to hear from you again ...

Warm rgds,

Pat

Edited by Guest

Helllooooo, I am new. Have been thinking about getting Eglu for years and am making the final steps very soon, went to Banbury recently and met the nice lady in the shop, chatted and saw the cube, just need to decide when now. Main preventer has been the weather and final decisions where to place the cube.

Right side of garden ideal but gets no sun, great in summer, not so great in winter - we will have to forego some lawn as I am happier to have the cube as a permanent structure, we get mink as well as foxes so want to make the area totally safe around the run.

Left side of garden is quite open and sunny, so perhaps not such a good idea for summer, plus we wont see them from the house very well, and we do want to see them :-)

How have others decided on the best place for thier Eglu's, interested to hear from you?

Also, would like different chickens, but as a newcomer am worried about the pecking order if we have them from different places - I wanted to just get them from Omlet to start with, but really really would like a silvery/grey/white hen, any ideas please? Miss Pepperpot, Gingernut and ????? (2 more).

Looking forward to coming back soon to hear anyones views, thank you :D

Hello,

I'm new to all this, so please bear with me!!! I have just posted in the chicken clinic section, as I think we may have a poorly girl :(

We have 5 chickens in our little flock. 2 Ambers, 2 Bantam Pekin hens & a Bantam Pekin cockerel. They have they're own fenced off area in the garden, so they can wander, peck & scratch all day (but they sometimes manage to get themselves through the chicken wire fence & wander round our side of the garden!!!). I love having the chickens, even though I have a phobia of birds! Having the chickens though, has helped with this phobia, but I still can't go over into their 'garden' alone or collect the eggs, but who knows, maybe one day that will happen.

I have just posted in the chicken clinic, as I think one of the bantam hens is poorly, so please take a look & if anyone can help, that would be great.

I used to be on the forum as chickenanne, but that was AGES ago (a couple years) and have forgotten password and changed my e-mail address....I figured no-one would remember me anyway so it wouldn't matter if I re-registered anew!

I've kept chickens for 5 years or so, and bees for 3 years. Currently have 5 chickens (RIR, Sussex, and a trio of Pekin bantams) and 2 hives of bees (elderly Smith hives, not a shiny new beehaus).

Hi. I am new to this forum so would just like to introduce myself, I am fairly new to chicken keeping having got my girls from the BHWT back in July. I have 4 exbatt hens called Esme, Gytha, Magrat and Agnes, they were all very sorry for themselves when they arrived back in the summer but are now looking much better, I hope to meet lots of like minded people here and look forward to getting to know you all

M

Hello, I am Anne. We have 4 chickens who live in an Eglu classic with a run extension. The girls have free ranged in our small garden over the winter but with 3 small boys I need the garden back! I am investigating an aviary or a walk in run. both seem expensive options, what do others think?

thank you.

Hello all,

just joined i have 3 adult chickens (light suusex 1 bluebell and the scruffiest bantam thing I have ever seen) I am waiting for my first incubator hatch of the year, I have in there minorca, silkies, buff orpington and white marsh daisy,

I live in north somerset and also have two springer spaniels and three racing pigeons,

I look forward to chatting in the future.

Rewster.

Hi all,

I have just joined the forum, and relativly new to poultry keeping. I have started a little blog for myself to use as a diary and to also communicate with fellow chicken owners. I have just posted up my first pictures of my coop and run ready for when my hens arrive. So any feedback and comments would be much appreciated. Thanks! :-)

http://thelifeofchickens.blogspot.co.uk/

Hi all,

I have just joined the forum, and relativly new to poultry keeping. I have started a little blog for myself to use as a diary and to also communicate with fellow chicken owners. I have just posted up my first pictures of my coop and run ready for when my hens arrive. So any feedback and comments would be much appreciated. Thanks! :-)

http://thelifeofchickens.blogspot.co.uk/

Hello :D Welcome to the forum!

Welcome, nice run and dustbath you've made. I'd cover the run so the pallet stays dryand doesn't rot. You need some girls now :D

Thanks for the feedback plum, I think I may get some corregated plastic for it in that case. I know I have been browsing the net and found a good few breeders local to me so will hopefully being going to have a look at some the weekend.

Hiya,

I just joined up, I'm a Brit living in Ireland. Don't have any chooks yet, but getting a second hand Eglu classic in the next couple of weeks or so. Need to get it all cleaned up and then think about getting some girls to live in it.

We're currently in a typical suburban semi, so hoping we don't get any hassle from neighbours about the birds. I've got a 4yo little lad, and I'm hoping he'll get great enjoyment out of the chickens too (as well as my husband and I) and will also have a direct link to his food which will be great.

I'm a complete newbie, so looking for lots of advice on where to start, what birds to get (are some more friendly/willing to put up with children than others?), what to buy, what NOT to waste my money on etc.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Hey folks!

Just wanted to introduce myself. Just had the eglu go arrive yesterday. My fella has been wanting chickens for years, but we wanted to sort the garden out first and wait until our son was older so he could get involved too. The eglu arrived whilst he was at work yesterday (i was so excited, it was ridiculous!) and the girls were waiting for him when he got home. He was stunned but said it was the nicest "present" he had ever received! I'd say that was a good result! We're already looking into a permanent space for them and have really enjoyed watching them potter about - and eat alot it seems! We were both quite touched when they both went "to bed" when it got dark and they seem none the worse off for the frost we had last night. Looking forward to our new venture... (It was kind of a present for me too!)

Hi i am new to omlet,we have about 35 chickens all different breeds from large fowl bramhas, Orloffs,naked neck peckin,Orpingtons, pekin bantams and quail to name a few, and currently have 3 incubators full of eggs.We live in a nice part of essex and have about 1/2 acre of land.

For coops we have a wooden windmill,a kennel with run and an old fashioned coop.

hope to get to know all soon J

Hi i am new to omlet,we have about 35 chickens all different breeds from large fowl bramhas, Orloffs,naked neck peckin,Orpingtons, pekin bantams and quail to name a few, and currently have 3 incubators full of eggs.We live in a nice part of essex and have about 1/2 acre of land.

For coops we have a wooden windmill,a kennel with run and an old fashioned coop.

hope to get to know all soon J

Welcome :D