Millie-Annie

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS. INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Hi all - Happymama here (of the famous hairwashing without shampoo thread from years ago) but I had to reregister as Illegal Chickens because that's what mine will be, I cx my email address some time ago.

My last chooks - a bluebell, a black rock, were both taken from my shared allotment when someone left the internal six foot tall fox and burglar proof gate open, and then it was repossessed by the council while I was on holiday because the person who let me use it as a sleeping partner kept a car on it, so I lost my pink Mk 1 as well - I was furious!

Anyway, I was then living in a terrace which the council have now decided to knock down and I have now a great big house with a garden, but the council say Chickens aren't allowed (see how much trouble councils can give a person!) and I asked my solicitor what to do about it, and she says make friends with the neighbours which I have.

So, it's chooks again as soon as the snow goes as the garden requires a certain amount of modification and as I type is under a foot of snow.

Nice to be back

HM

Hello everyone!

We live nr Stowmarket in Suffolk. There's my Husband Jimmy, me (Sarah) and our 3 kids - Ellie is 10, Harry is 7 and Oscar is 2. We have 2 Cockapoos - Max is 20 months and Polly is 13 weeks old, and 2 guinea pigs - Nutmeg and Peppa.

We moved house just before Christmas and we are now the proud owners of a garden which is roughly an acre in size. A friend recommended the Eglu as she has one for her chickens, and I have been researching for a few months now. Yesterday we went to a local garden centre for fruit trees and stumbled across an Eglu Go! They had some in stock, so we decided to go for it, and hubby has erected it today! We're off to view some hens tomorrow... If all goes well we are keen to purchase the Cube later on and increase our flock, but thought we'd start small...! I look forward to getting to know you all and am very excited about lots of home made eggs!!

Hi this is my first messege and hoping for some advise.

i have just noticed that one of my chooks is a cockeral and he is friendly with the female. she has made a nest and is sitting on her egg,(another female is also laying so she is sat on both, she is making all the strange noises and puffing herself up, but does ger of the nest and go for a wander,, when she is of the nest the cockeral sometimes gets on and stays there till she comes back.. i removed some eggs last week as they went cold,, we would love some chicks but i really dont know what i am doing here and would love some advise of what to do..

Hi I'm a forum newbie *waves*

I've owned chooks for about 18 months and regularly have a nosy on foums mainly to get advice from topics other peeps have posted but have decided to join.

I have 4 ex-bats which are about 3 years old now - Lulu, Mavis, Roxy and Toffee and I also had Twinkle-toes too but she's sadly passed away. I'm looking to hopefully get two new POL chooks a bit later this year (my friend has some hatching eggs incubating as we speak - I'm hopefully getting a Cuckoo Maran and a Light Sussex for my daughters and they can't wait - they've already named them Betty and Freckles!!!). Anyway, as you can see my chooks are a family affair, my eldest daughter loves to give hand feed them some mixed corn treat after school every day and collect any eggs and my youngest daughter, who's a little wary of them, likes to give them dandilion leaves through the mesh.

I'd like to add a signature and avatar to my posts, but it says my avatars are disabled and I can't find a tab to add a signature. If anybody could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful. Thanks. :o)

Hi Newbie - I'm an Oldie! :D Um, my daughter did my avatar because I'm rubbish! :lol: Glad you are all enjoying your birdies. Wouldn't know what to do without them now - apart from have a lie-in in the mornings I suppose! My oldest girls start hitting the 5 year mark soon. The youngest will be 4. It seems like they've been around forever!

Sometimes I'm on here for a while and then I disappear but then we meet up at chicken shows and outside just for fun sometimes.

Welcome, I think that you will find us to be a friendly knowledgeable bunch :wink: If you have a question you will find someone who is able to answer it.

You need to go into your profile to add a signature and avatar, not sure if you have to have made a few posts first, I hadn't heard this.

I have 8 hens in two groups, a mixed group of 5 aged from 2 to 6,four of whom are currently laying, and 3 youngsters of about a year old, all of whom are laying.

Hello- nice to meet you!

I have to admit to not having 'girlies' any more....we had to rehome them last year but miss them terribly :cry: . As soon as we are able, we will be re stocking the Eglu! We do have a very sweet hamster but she just doesn't cut the mustard on the egg producing front, tho' admittedly she doesn't wake everyone up at 5.00am either!

This is a lovely, freindly forum with some very knowlegable people (some can, unlike me, even spell properly!) Looking forward to getting to know you! :D

I'd like to add a signature and avatar to my posts, but it says my avatars are disabled and I can't find a tab to add a signature. If anybody could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful. Thanks. :o)

Hello and welcome! Access is limited to signatures etc until you have made anew posts......you are nearly there :wink:

Hi. I'm a brand new member and very new to the chicken world. Got myself an eglu classic and at the end of January arrived Kiev, Gougon and Nugget. I know, I know the names! but I thought it would be fun. Kiev is a somerset, Gougon a daisybelle and Nugget a bluebell. 2 are laying but Nugget hasn't got her act together. Despite the fact they have the run of a 90 foot garden for most of the weekend, they're favorite spot seems to be outside the kitchen door perched on a bench. All 3 doing well and flourishing. The forum is great there are so many passionate chicken lovers. I'm looking forward to joining in !

Hi after wanting ducks for years and years I finaly got 2 Indian Runners yesterday I have a duck and a drake both apricot trouts and im in love with them already. they are 10mths old and to top it off a got my first egg this morning.

they are currently penned in a run till they get used to us and my dog gets used to them.

does anybody else have any hints or tips in how to ease the settling in process ?

They are currently called Shrek and Fiona but my children have changed there names quite a few times already so im hoping theese ones stick.

kind regards

Omadawn

Hello,

I am Kate and a new chicken crazy person in London.

I started having my first chicks 5 weeks ago, three rescues that unfortuantely only stayed 4 weeks with us and the fox got hold of them. Now I have two young ones in a new coop, which is safer and will get more rescues as soon as possible.

The new one called Sydney and Fifty are not laying yet but I hope that will change soon.

Hi Everyone,

Just introducing myself. My name is Audrey and I am new to chickens . I have always wanted some and now have 4 .... a bluebell, a light sussex and 2 isa browns. I bought a purple eglu cube and extension and am delighted with it. The girls have settled in well..... although my dogs will take a long time to get used to them ! They also met a visiting pheasant today and the 2 isa's stood their ground and the other 2 scuttled into the cube.

I live in Scotland in the country not far from Glasgow . I love to see them free range just pecking about . They are all 6 mnths old. I have had 4 eggs in 2 days . Well chuffed and so tasty !

Welcome to the forum.

If you look in the eglu, cubes and run section you will find lots of posts about which to choose. I like the eglu classic. Have you had a look for a second hand one they can be good value and my 5 year old (purple eglu) does not show its age it is as good now as when we bought it.

If you have any questions just post on the forum someone always knows the answer :D

Chrissie

Hello, another newbie. We have four girls, an araucana, new hampshire bantam, buff laced wyandotte bantam and a silkie cross (maybe with an exchequer leghorn? Could be more or less anything) who moved into our garden last month. They'e currently in a classic with an extended run, but we will be moving to a cube, i think, probably with a walk in run. Also have five kids, a cat and a springer spaniel, so the chickens are the nice calm bit,

Hi there, I am also a newbie on here. My name is Tracey and I have three ladies one buff Orpington called megz and two Rhode Island Red x light Sussex, called pru and pearl. My megz is laying but the other two are not as yet. I have had them only a week, but they seemed to settle in quick, I have an Eglu go and they have part of the garden fenced off so they have plenty to roam round. We are all enjoying them, even the dogs, they soon but the dogs in their place. Looking forward to chatting to other members on here.